Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
No.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
The top ten reasons to keep a water heater running 24/7...

10. You have a large family
9. You wash dishes 3+ times per day
8. You have unlimited access to refilling your propane tank
7. You like to take 3+ showers per day
6. Your spouse likes to take 3+ showers per day
5. You don't want to have to think about remembering to turn it on and off
4. ?
3. ?
2. ?
1. ?

OK, I can't think of 10 reasons...feel free to help with my list!
Number 4: Just to let other RV's know you have a working hot water heater.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
3 it uses so little propane it is not worth worring about. remember you are on vacation!

john
Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I turn mine on in the morning (actually, when one or the other of us gets up before rise 'n shine time, knowwhatImean?) and turn it off again after we are done with breakfast. I also don't like to leave it running if we are away for the day.

I think it does use quite a bit of propane to keep water hot, when it is not in use. If we are on an extended trip, I try to delay refills by conserving when ever possible.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I lived in my Airstream for 4 months, I kept it on all the time. It really doesn't use that much propane, plus it keeps the spiders from taking up residence in the burn tube, also keeps moisture out, which keeps things from rusting.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I usually remember to turn ours on just as the cold water is spraying on my wife in the shower and I hear this awful squeal coming from the bathroom area. I then rush over and hit the switch - so that I can honestly reply that the hot water heater is on when asked in a very seductive tone "is the darn hot water on????". With everything else in need of repairs it's not to hard for me just to blame it on the trailer....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We turn ours "on" when we arrive and "off" when we leave. Ours is vintage which means you have to go outside and take off the cover to light it with a flame....playing with fire is not something I want to do first thing in the morning before my shower.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
On when we arrive as part of the setup and off when we leave. DSI - doesn't use much gas at all.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
As others have stated; these things are so efficent and well insulated we turn ours off when finished for the period of use.

We flush ours on a regular basis in order to keep the mineral build up in the tank bottom to a minimum.

Propane is so very corrosive when burning. You may fell that to be another reason for limited use. We've seen older units with the exterior sheetmetal in the water heater exterior compartment with heavy corrosion around the exhaust. Just a thought.

HAPPY TRAILS
Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Melrose , Florida
My vote is to conserve lp
Skytrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
We turn ours "on" when we arrive and "off" when we leave. Ours is vintage which means you have to go outside and take off the cover to light it with a flame....playing with fire is not something I want to do first thing in the morning before my shower.

Shari
Same here. Lighting the water heater in the rain on a windy morning, no thank you. I have never heard ours cycle at night even when it has been well below freezing. Then again I don't hear much of anything any more.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Consensus? We don't need no -----ing consensus! You'll never get us to agree on anything as simple as that.
I have to disagree with that...
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I have to disagree with that...
On the other hand, re-read the variety of opinions. Might the proof be in the pudding?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostream
Is there general consensus on if it's best to turn off water heater at night or is it best to leave on to minimize LP consumption? Climate/region/season dependent?
NO!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We turn it on 5 minutes before showering or doing dishes. Turn it off when done.

What about the draining issue? We usually have a week to 2 weeks between trips. We drain the water before storing the trailer, but I don't drain the hot water tank. Should I be doing so?

Drain or not to drain between short storage... thoughts?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Our water heater also has an electronic ignition. I flip the switch 10 to 15 minutes before I need hot water in the morning then turn it off when I'm done. It stays hot pretty much all day.

Now, if we had a water heater similar to the ones my parents had when camping and we needed to go outside to light the thing, no way would I turn it off until my camping stay was over.

The electronic ignition on our first camper (SOB) surely put a smile on my face.

We don't blow out the water heater, but I do run diluted bleach through it a couple times a year. Last year we got hold of some very sulfury water at a state park and now it seems like the hot water smells funny (sort of sulfur-ish) if we don't use a bit of bleach now and then. We were told by a fellow knowledgable airstreamer that older water heaters can get a good layer of deposits from hard water (boy, we do have that) and the deposit layer will absorb and latch onto odors. I don't know if that is the only reason but the infrequent bleaching does seem to help.
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yep, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
When I lived in my Airstream for 4 months, I kept it on all the time. It really doesn't use that much propane, plus it keeps the spiders from taking up residence in the burn tube, also keeps moisture out, which keeps things from rusting.
I live in mine too, and I also leave it on. I also use my stove daily for at least one meal.

I just refilled my two 30lb propane tanks on Monday... the last time I put propane in was in March, so that should be a testimony to how little propane you use with these two appliances.

In winter I was surprised and shocked at how fast the furnace burned through propane! It also blasts two minutes of cold air followed by hot, hot air, then stops, waits for the temperature to drop and starts all over again.

RV furnaces have apparently "always been that way" and no one is working on a better system for mass production. I do think there was a thread about someone who adapted a water heater, a pump, a thermostat and some flexible tubing into a hot water radiator system for an RV... I think using computer fans to gently move the heat throughout the interior area, with tubing in the belly to keep the tanks from freezing. Actually I can't think why "in the floor" (under the plywood) radiant heat wouldn't work for an Airstream. I know it would use a fraction of the heat a furnace does... Brain working... will a second water heater fit in the space where the furnace is? Venting to outside? Taking off the belly pan and insulation and... (OK that sounds like work and I'm over it now ... but who do I know who has talent and likes money? Hmmm... )

Paula
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
It depends. When I had my 1963 Overlander with a pilot light, I left it on all night. Too much trouble to have to get dressed and go outside early in the morning and light it.

When I had my 1991 Excella with an electronic ignition and an on/off switch in the bathroom, I turned it off each night.

This might sound lazy, but most use of my trailer use has been at my deer camp and lighting the water heater meant going outside in sub-freezing temps, in the dark between 4:30 to 5:00 AM in the morning.

The 1953 pictured in my avitar came with an electric water heater. (still being restored and not useable)

Electronic ignition is a wonderful thing.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
We don't blow out the water heater, but I do run diluted bleach through it a couple times a year. Last year we got hold of some very sulfury water at a state park and now it seems like the hot water smells funny (sort of sulfur-ish) if we don't use a bit of bleach now and then. We were told by a fellow knowledgable airstreamer that older water heaters can get a good layer of deposits from hard water (boy, we do have that) and the deposit layer will absorb and latch onto odors. I don't know if that is the only reason but the infrequent bleaching does seem to help.
This may be a stupid question, but how does one put bleach in the water heater? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
This may be a stupid question, but how does one put bleach in the water heater? pj
Not a stupid question, just a description by me that was probably not as specific as was necessary.

I don't put it directly in the water heater tank. I add bleach (and water) to the water tank the same as if I were going to sanitize the tank in the spring. Then run the hot water spigot(s) until I can smell the bleach a bit. Let sit overnight or a day or two. Drain and rinse well.
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Hot Enough For Ya??

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
3 it uses so little propane it is not worth worring about. remember you are on vacation!

john
YEAH.....What he said!!!!!