Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Time for a new demand H2O pump

As I was working on pulling out the carpet in the rear of the coach tonight I found I have a wet floor near the water pump.

I thought I had this problem solved. The problem being that a pex fitting had cracked and sprung a leak. WRONG! The repair I made was fine, the diaphram on the PAR pump has failed and the water that was in my tank is now in my floor The pump is located next to the tank, so the resting water pressure allowed the water to leak out until it reached level with the pump casing.

Anyhow I am now in the market for a pump. Being a techie I want to go with the $160 variable speed quiet pump, but the frugal side of me says spend $58 on the basic pump and be done.

So I ask, what have you done, what would you do, what do you wish you had done?

Thanks!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I bought one of the Aquajet ES variable speed pumps. It is a lot quieter than the basic Sureflo that died on me.

Aquajet makes two variable speed pumps. One draws as much as 10 amps, and in my opinon is overkill for an AS coach. The one I bought (about $135.00, I think), draws a maxium of 6.5 amps, and then less and less as pressure builds.

It delivers all the water we need, even from two taps at the same time.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If you want a great deal on a "permanent" pump, check out this one on Ebay and throw a rebuild kit in it for $70.

I've got one I picked up at a garage sale for $15, and the rebuild kit is on the way. I'm gonna use that as the installed pump, and keep the current pump in the trailer for an emergency spare.

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The pump you have can be rebuilt in less than an hour.
Most marine stores will have the kit or can order it. There should be a model # on the pump for ordering the kit.
Par was bought by Jabsco different name same kit.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Hmm...on Wednesday he tells me he wants a new water pump. I ask if anything's wrong with the one we have. He says no, BUT he wants a different style.

I suggest maybe we should wait until all the current repairs and upgrades are paid for, and only then consider replacing a perfectly good pump with something he'd like better.

Mysteriously, the pump "dies" Thursday night. I'm not suspicious, are you?

Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Wow!!

All the poor guy has been through, loosing a motor, carrier bearing, governors on the way home. Tearing out skanky carpet, seat base screws that won't come out, new counter tops, searching for window track everywhere, a cracked pump housing with flood. Now he is trying to set it up so you can take nice hot showers without that agravating noise and you are suspicious of his intentions.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
All the poor guy has been through, loosing a motor, carrier bearing, governors on the way home.
Excuse me, WHO was the one that was stranded in Texas for 3 weeks with all of this? He was never alone through all that, I was the one left behind!

Quote:
new counter tops
And I only made him buy 2 different laminates for the countertops. I actually am thinking of having the laminate changed one more time.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Stranded in Texas? I thought you were at your sister's house. He was home alone having to batch it for three weeks, go to work, clean house, cook, fend for himself, try to round up a motor long distance.

No comment on the third countertop. Glue up the diaphram and everything will be fine; tell him to be creative, if it gives out just use air pressure out of a dual to pressurize the system.

John
Old 09-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida

Got the base VSD variable speed pump. CW has $1.00 shipping so I will let them deliver it and install it next weekend.

Thanks for the responses, and a special thanks to John for sticking up for me. What Edie said is true, but I did not have anything to do with that pump, by the name of Parr.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 09-20-2003, 04:39 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
The New Airstreams have the Aqua-Jet pumps in them. At first had been using the larger of the two, however have recently switched to the 6.5 amp model.

ShurFlo as well are making a variable speed pump to for the inquiring minds.

I personally still have the PAR pump that is working smooth..I will not change it works to well. To spend that kind of money..

I have always been told if it isn't broke don't fix it .....
Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Let us know how quiet it is. I am already in trouble for wanting to dump a perfectly good stove for a cooktop and convection microwave. Can't be much worse if I change pumps.

John
Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
While I was out of town this week the new pump came in

I installed it last night. It even came with a new strainer that was setup to connect VIA the quick connects that the new Jabsco types use.

I went with the lowest GPM model due to the pressure the higher GPM models exert on the plumbing. I already have PEX and did not want to blow out the system using a pump with too high of a cut off pressure. The other benifit of going with the smaller pump is that it can just hook up to the existing wires. Bigger pump, bigger draw, needs bigger wire.

It is quiet. I would say by about half that of a normal water pump. You can hear it, but it is way quieter that the PAR it replaces. The pump varies it's impeller speed based on system pressure. With 2 faucets running full I saw no decrease in tap pressure. The only way I could see to make it quieter would be to create some sort of additional isolator. The pump is rubber mounted and them the rubber mounts have the screw holes in them. The bulk of the noise seems to be resonance from the floor. I hope to be installing carpet this weekend. That may quiet it down some.

The nicest thing, besides it being quiet and not leaking, is that it allows me to use the 2 position nozzle on my sink now. In the past the demand pressure was too low to keep it locked in the spray position.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
I went with the lowest GPM model
I like to boondock and the low gpm pumps make it is easier to conserve. 45 gal. of water doesn't last too long as it is. I'm really glad to hear that it can't be heard as well, they drive me nuts after a few minutes. So now that now you have no leak, good flow, and relative silence did that convince Ms. Edie that it wasn't all a techie thing?

John
Old 09-26-2003, 01:14 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
She has yet to come hear it. I got done late last night. Truly all that matters is it works. The quiet thing is just gravy.

If you get it be aware that it only comes with one 1/2 inch nipple. I had to make a run to HD to get a brass to 1/2 IP thread to connect it to one of the supplied connectors.

It comes with:

1/2 inch right angle nipple
3/4 inch nipple
1/2 threaded male
2-1/2 inch threaded pex male connectors

Wiring includes a 15 amp blade style fuse holer in line on the + side.

While I was under there (rear bed) again I pulled out the repair I made in vancouver and redid all of the tubing so it is new, and eliminated some more pex. Today is the real test. I have the system under pressure with the pump off, I will be interested to see if I have a leak when I get home.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 09-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
did that convince Ms. Edie that it wasn't all a techie thing?
I knew it wasn't just a techie thing. The coincidence in timing just seemed amazing.

I encouraged him to go with the more expensive pump, if he was replacing it anyway. In the long run, I know he'll be happier. And whatever makes Brett happy makes me happy.