Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Electric part of water heater

Ok, every time I try to repair something myself I end up blowing something else. I replaced the light switch in the bathroom. Shut off the power at the breakers and the battery before hand. Wa la swithc replaced. Now the water heater will not come on in the electric mode. I got it to come on in the gas mode. Does anyone know what I blew up?
lightng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Try turning the breakers off and on again. Maybe one didn't "catch" in the on position. Does everything else that is 120 volt work?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Yes, every thing else seems to be working. I guess I'll try that anyway.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I tryed the breakers. Still no electricity getting to the water heater. Do you think I should replace the water heater on off switch?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Water heater is 12vDC electric, right? Not 120vAC? If so, there should be a fuse for it, not a breaker. Check your fuse panel.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Question I gotta ask..... Is the water heater switch part of this switch you replaced? Reason I ask is after we first bought our 01' Limited, I had heater issues. In my research of the issue I got two different explanations of the workings of that switch. (our looks like this)

One version was that the switch was 12vdc and send power to a relay that switched the 120v heating element on/off.

The other version was that the switch was 120v and switched the element directly.

In our case the latter was correct. Our switch is basicly a residential 120V switch.
If you have luck getting the gas side of the heating to work, thats good. You can rule out the electronic control board. The electric side is pretty basic.

120V power source, so there should be a dedicated breaker in the fuse box for the water heater. With that breaker off, determine what "type" of switch you have. (120V/AC or 12VDC ) If you have 120V coming to the switch then that will help narrow down the possible failure points.
Make sure your plugged into shore power and you have good voltage coming into the trailer. Check the water heater circuit supply for 120V. Make sure the switch is functioning (simple continuity test)
If these 3 things are all working, then we'll have to start doing some digging down around the tank.
On our water heater all the gas elements are accessed from the outside of the trailer and the electric stuff was all accessable from the inside.
This was the part that was not any fun, because there is a toilet in the way. and space is at a premium.
Check the basics above, if still no electric heat hollar back and we'll go from there.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
reset switch

Have you checked to see if there is a reset switch and if it is tripped.

To see if there is one, look on the back of the water heater where the 110 goes in. There should be hole about the size of a dime and you may see insulation in there. I would use a small screw driver.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I guess I'm going to have to look for a reset switch. No fun in mine either. The water heater is under one of the twin beds and is surrounded with insulation. Every thing else electric to the fuse box works. I'm hooked up to shore line power.
Thanks everyone. I'll keep at it.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

BTW didn't touch the water heater swith in the pic shown. I was in the bathroom. Maybe I should have shut the electric swith off at the water Hester before I did any thing, but I've turned the breakers off before and never messed up any thing.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I looked at the beakers and found the dedicated water heater breaker. How do I test it?
Thanks