Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken pipe to Hot water tank

A couple of questions?

I broke the pipe connection to my hot water heater tank on the 97 Excella, I assume it is the cold water inlet to the tank. I'm not sure if this plastic fitting to the tank just unscrews from the brass or copper fitting on the tank or is it glued on to the metal fitting. The pex broke on the 90 degree elbow so I need to replace the elbow and replace some of the pex pipe. It looks like a reducer that connects to the metal screw on fitting into the tank doesn't have a collar for a wrench to fit on it so it got me wondering how this connection is made Can I replace this fitting at a local hardware store or do I need to buy a special fitting from an Airstream Dealer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	355557  
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
. . .
It looks like a reducer that connects to the metal screw on fitting into the tank doesn't have a collar for a wrench to fit on it so it got me wondering how this connection is made . . .
. . .
Funny . . . we had very similar damage from a freeze-up in our 25' back in the 90's.

In my personal layman's opinion . . . not a professional plumber . . .

That threaded piece is a male/male threaded "nipple," which you should be able to remove with a pipe wrench, vice-grips, or channel-lock pliers IMO. If it is in good shape, however, and the threads are OK, you might be able to leave it as-is after you remove that brass piece, and clean the male threads with a wire brush [edit -- or die -- see PS below].

This might be a good time to replace your old "water heater" if it is original IMO -- FWIW. All the threaded parts may be "frozen" together by corrosion/rust, such that removing stuff will create irreversible damage IMO.

All parts should be available at most hardware stores. Be sure to use pipe dope when you connect any new/old threaded parts.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- You might also need to buy the correct tap or die to clean up any old threads, including the female threads at the water heater.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Looks like you have pvc pipe not pex.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
With luck the nipple will unscrew from the WH. It does look like PVC. Probably not original? Spend some time looking at PEX in the store. Convert as much as you can to PEX when you make the repair. Learn as much as you can about PEX.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

I don't know if it is original or not. I tried to remove the brass fitting but it is on pretty tight and the whole tank started to move, I was worried I would break the other connections, it didn't take much pressure to break the pipe (pretty fragile). The plastic fitting that is connected to the brass fitting doesn't have place for a wrench to go on, so I am wondering if it threaded into the brass. I've tried to find a pic of the brass fitting in order to see what it looks like from one of the Airstream supply stores, but to no avail.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Plumber here. That's a Brass to CPVC Female adapter with a broken Street Ell 90 glued into it.
Go back with CPVC (freeze damages easy) or PEX (doesn't freeze damage ease). Do not use PVC on hot water.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

tbashin,

I tried to remove the female cpvc connection with channel locks to no avail.

What is the best way to remove this stubborn fitting. I thought about putting a propane torch on it but am reluctant to try this in such tight quarters, also thought of maybe using a hack saw but I'm worried I might cut into the brass fitting.

Is CPVC and PEX available at any local hardware store or do I have to find an RV supply outlet? Also can I use Shark Bite to make the other connections?

I'm up in Idaho about 20 miles from the nearest hardware store and I don't have cell service to call them.

Thanks to all of you that have tried to help me.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If it is a brass fitting into an Al tank and it has been there a while you may have a problem.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Don't try to remove the brass fitting. Use the wrench to hold it in place while putting counterclockwise pressure on the plastic pipe fitting. Use pliers, chanel locks, pipe wrench, or whatever you have. If the plastic breaks it does not matter. Try to not damage the threads on the brass.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Don't try to remove the brass fitting. Use the wrench to hold it in place while putting counterclockwise pressure on the plastic pipe fitting. Use pliers, chanel locks, pipe wrench, or whatever you have. If the plastic breaks it does not matter. Try to not damage the threads on the brass.
Yes, this.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

After much work cutting and breaking it up with a screw driver I was able to get the plastic fitting off the Brass connection to the Hot water tank.

I was surprised to see the fitting does not have screw threads but are ringed. When I finally got the plastic part to break loose using vice grips it just spun and wouldn't pull off so I made some cuts with a hack saw and broke it apart. My problem now is I don't have a fitting to match it with when I go to the hardware store.

My question now, how does the new fitting go on? Do I need to glue it or does it just push on and seal. I have never seen a set up like this. Also what size of fitting goes on the brass end. A rough measurement is 3/4 but not positively sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	355622  
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
After much work cutting and breaking it up with a screw driver I was able to get the plastic fitting off the Brass connection to the Hot water tank.

I was surprised to see the fitting does not have screw threads but are ringed. When I finally got the plastic part to break loose using vice grips it just spun and wouldn't pull off so I made some cuts with a hack saw and broke it apart. My problem now is I don't have a fitting to match it with when I go to the hardware store.

My question now, how does the new fitting go on? Do I need to glue it or does it just push on and seal. I have never seen a set up like this. Also what size of fitting goes on the brass end. A rough measurement is 3/4 but not positively sure.
You are not likely to get a fix for this at the local big box building store. Find a plumbing supply place in your area and take your photo with you and let them know that it was a Brass to CPVC Female adapter with a Street Ell 90. They will very likely know exactly what you need and be able to fix you up. I suspect the brass fitting and the CPVC female adapter come as one piece. As previously suggested, changing out to PEX isn't a bad idea, but it will take a few extra bits. From the look of things in your first photo, there already appears to be a fix to another piece of your plumbing that PEX was used.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:

That is definitely not an original fitting. This is what is there>
https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supp...VZTJ8XHX3GMHA1
My earlier advice was wrong. I think you will have to get the brass part unthreaded from the tank fitting.

ps: might help if you heat it with a flame (torch, grill lighter, candle, etc) to soften the pipe thread compound.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

I was afraid that it was one unit, that's whole new ballgame. I put some major pressure on the brass fitting and it didn't even budge.

I think you are right, about the fitting, nothing is ever easy.

I appreciate the time you took to find the fitting for me.

Thanks,

HankO
Old 11-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
. . .
. . . I think you will have to get the brass part unthreaded from the tank fitting.
. . .
I would tend to agree with Alan's advice.

HankO, is this the original ~1997 water heater? Probably a good time to replace it, rather than "lock it into place" with new plumbing IMO. Isn't this why we own an Airstream?

It may be tempting fate to surround the old water heater with a new plumbing structure . . . only to have the heater fail as the next step IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- The AF time stamp above is off, probably because of the recent change to Standard Time IMO. It is now 8:32 PM EST as I type this PS. The time stamp for this post is incorrect at 9:27 PM. BTW in my User CP, DST adjustment is set to Automatic Always On.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

The Airstream water heater to my understanding is the original. The trailer was immaculate when I bought it in 2008. The pipe you see that broke is plumbed all through the trailer along with clear pipe that I assume is Pex so I assume it is original as well.

The water heater has been working great, and if I can just buy a fitting and a little pipe to fix it it would save me some major bucks.

Appreciate all the input I have received

HankO
Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Your trailer originally had polybutylene water pipes (I think). It was a gray plastic that was prone to spring pinhole leaks.
None of that existing pipe in the photos you shared is original. I'm 100% sure about that.

https://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
You need to unscrew that old fitting get a BIG wrench and a bigger holdback wrench on the water heater. It will come out. A little heat from the torch would help too. You might call a plumber he would know how to fix it all. It’s the same as a house.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Broken Pipe

AW

Looking at the pics you sent me of the poly pipe I can say there is not any of this in the trailer. Whether they used this Poly in 1997 I don't know. An earlier owner would have had to re-piped the whole trailer if what you're saying is so. The trailer has a lot of CPVC in it, the elbow I cut off says "CPVC", but the trailer has a lot of clearer pipe as I can see the red color of the RV antifreeze in it.

It would be interesting to talk to an owner of a 97 model year Airstream trailer to see what I have is what they have?

Thanks Bibbs,

I'm traveling right now, but when I get home I will definitely put a cheater on the handle of a wrench and see if I can get it to move. I need to have someone hold the tank still as I apply pressure to the nut. I'm hesitant to put a wrench on the Aluminum Tank. Appreciate the input.

One more question: The piece I cut off the brass fitting was just a plastic reducer married into the brass. Does anyone think I might be able to just find a PEX or some other type of connection and cement it to the fitting. This would save a lot of hassle of me taking out the Brass fitting. The question I have about using the Everflow connection is whether the screw threads will line up

HankO
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Does anyone think I might be able to just find a PEX or some other type of connection and cement it to the fitting.
. . .
Probably not a productive solution IMO, and likely to fail over time with changes in temp, water pressure, road vibration, and so forth.

With a cheater handle on a large pipe wrench, and someone holding the tank, the brass piece should come off, perhaps with the threaded nipple attached IMO. First soak the connections with your favorite penetrating solution, and try to tighten everything. Alternating moves of tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen etc., with penetrating solution applied in the right spots, plus heat as suggested, can often help.

Good luck,

Peter