Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Bowen water heater anode rod

My '71 Safari still has the original Bowen water heater. We bought the trailer 2 1/2 years ago and I've spent most of the time since I bought it replacing, fixing and cleaning stuff in the AS. The one thing I haven't messed with (other than firing it up and discovering it only works intermittently) is the water heater.

To be honest I didn't know that there was an anode or that it needed to be replaced until recently when reading various threads on the forum about WH maintenance. The model number is GA62. I plan to replace the water heater this summer, but I would like to replace the anode rod and clean the water heater before Spring.

So, my question - is there a specific anode rod that I should use to replace the existing one in the WH?

Thanks!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I don't know about the Bowen, but more recent water heaters may or may not have an anode rod. (The aluminum-bodied models don't need it, I think.)

Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Bowen or Atwood water heaters have lined tanks and therefore do not need a sacrificial anode rod like the suburban model water heaters.
If it is not leaking a little maintenance to the burner tube to clean out any spider webs or mud dauber nests will prpobaly net good results and you will have a perfectly functioning water heater again. You can also clean and adjust the thermouple so that it is in the flame properly. If it is carboned up or not being bathed fully in the flame the gas valve will shut down. The thermocouple is part of the flame proving system. If it does not sense a presence of a flame it will shut down the flow of gas as a safery precaution.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for the information! I'll clean out the burner tube and check the thermocouple to determine if it has carbon buildup. Is there a recommended method for cleaning the thermocouple or should it be replaced instead of cleaning with a solvent of some type?

Thanks!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote