Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Atwood W/H pops circuit breaker in 120v elec. mode.

2015 Flying Cloud FBT dual “fuel” W/H. Use 75% on propane, 25% on electric. Everything was fine all summer until the time I flipped on electric mode and 20A breaker popped. Multiple attempts over period of time same result.
Seems to me a bad heating element wouldn’t cause a short, if bad, it just wouldn’t heat. This leads me to a short somewhere in the wiring, maybe due to chafing (haven’t found anything oblivious).
What am I missing in my diagnosis. Could a bad element cause a short?
Replacing the element in my rig is a huge project, and don’t want to do it on a guess.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	355289
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I had a similar issue in my 2012 25FB and when I finally dug into the problem, Airstream had done a shoddy job of connecting the Romex to the element wiring and it burned, shorted and tripped the breaker. Hard to get to in mine
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If turned on with no water in the heater the element self-destructs. Could be open, could be shorted. With the breaker turned off, measure the resistanc from the wh hot to the neutral buss. If it is less than 6 ohms or so you have a problem in the heater. A relatively simple and inexpensive test is to get a replacement breaker and try it. Breakers do occasionally go bad. Easier than accessing the wiring and heating element. Mine is accessible by removing a panel under the bathroom sink, so not as bad as yours, I guess.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I had a similar issue in my 2012 25FB and when I finally dug into the problem, Airstream had done a shoddy job of connecting the Romex to the element wiring and it burned, shorted and tripped the breaker. Hard to get to in mine

Larry

Larry......Just getting back to you on H2O heater problem. I pulled the whole unit out, and it turns out my problem is the result of another Jackson Center slop job. The 12g wires to the element were folded down, chafed, and welded themselves to the housing. This should never have happened! Unit is back in. Works fine. Zero $$$. Just time and unnecessary aggravation.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Thanks for closing the issue. It is disappointing to find these kinds of things when our expectations for quality are so much more. Who said "do it right the first time" ?

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote