Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Missoula , Montana
Air in hot water

My water heater and pump work well in my 2005 19 foot Bambi. However, the hot water has lots of air in it. It looks foamy, not so with the cold. It really isn't a problem. Is this normal? If not, is there a way to fix it? Any suggestions?
Djimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect you've got a big air bubble in the hot water heater tank (though I'll bet others have some other ideas). To make sure there's no air in there, just open the relief valve on the outside of the water heater by pulling up the tab. When the water heater is full of water, then you'll see water coming out of the relief valve, and you can close it back up.

Oh, and welcome to the Airforums!!

Lynn
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Just run the hot water it should bleed the air out. My guess is this is after it has been drained for the winter.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djimmy
My water heater and pump work well in my 2005 19 foot Bambi. However, the hot water has lots of air in it. It looks foamy, not so with the cold. It really isn't a problem. Is this normal? If not, is there a way to fix it? Any suggestions?
There is always air in there if you drained you hot water heater. Let it gurgle out. Make sure not to have any open flames (according to the manual) since there is some gas build up in there. It should be fine.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depend on how the trailer was winterized will determine the amount of air in the tank.

If your system has a bypass valve and that valve was used to shut off the hot water tank and then the tank was drained you will have 6 gallons of air in the tank when you first turn the water on and open the bypass valve.

When starting in the spring open the bypass valve and connect to city water or fill the system form the fresh water tank with the pump. After 3 or 4 mins. open any hot water faucet and bleed off the air. Close that faucet and let the hot water tank continue to fill. Again after few mins. open open a hot water faucet. You will have to do this untill you no longer get air from the faucet, that faucet should be the furtherest form the hot water tank.

Do not light the hot water heater until there is no sign of air coming from any faucet. Lighting the heater early can cause a blow off from the safety valve or in an extreme case could melt the side walls of the tank.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote