Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , Connecticut
2009 19' Bambi W/H leaking - need advice

Hi all,

We are new Airstreamers (2nd season coming up) and have a learned quite a bit from all the folks on the forum. But now I I an issue I could use your advice.

I was de-winterizing our Bambi today, and all was going well until I turned the W/H hot and cold supply valves OPEN, and closed the bypass. I could hear the tank filling, and then I stepped outside and saw steady stream of water running from the outside seams just to the rear of the W/H. I immediately turned off the pump (which stopped the water) etc, and then spent some time investigating.

It's clear to me that the fittings themselves and the visible lines (red and white) are not leaking, and the WH only leaks when the supply valves are open. Looked down through access hole (under the bed) I can see that the water is leaking from underneath the WH unit, and then running along the sub-floor and then out through the body seams.

This is the second winter we've had the AS, and both times I followed the guide in the owner's manual for winterizing. Specifically, I drained the W/H in the fall using the low point drains, then closed the supply and opened the bypass valves. I put RV anti-freeze in all the other plumbing, but I assumed because the WH was empty, I did not need to fill it with 7 gals of antifreeze. It was a very cold winter here in CT, and so I am fearing the worst - that the water tank got water in it and froze, breaking the tank.

My questions for the forum:
1. Based on what I described, anyone have any other suggestions what the water leak is from? Or do you too suspect the tank?

2. Our nearest dealer is Colonial Airstream (where we bought it), and they are great folks, but a 3 hour drive away. If the tank does need replacement, is this something I could do, with basic 'homeowner' skills?

3. If not something I could (or should) do, any recommendations from CT-based ASers as to anyone closer who could do the work? I wish Colonial made housecalls!

I'm glad I discovered it now, while I can get it repaired without losing the travel season.

Thanks all,

Byron
BandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Byron, if you did not remove the white plastic drain plug and empty the tank from the outside, it was still full. Sounds like you have a ruptured tank. Can't advise on what is required to install as I have never done one but I'll bet a search will provide you with many good links.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , Connecticut
White .... Plastic ..... Drain ...Plug! AArrgghhh!

Roadtoaster,

Since I have no recollection of removing and replacing the drain plug, I'm even more convinced it's a ruptured tank. Painful lesson for me!

Thanks for the (likely) confirmation. I'll see what others have to say about replacement options.

Byron
BandL is offline   Reply With Quote