Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Water pump leaking - repair or buy new?

1992 25' Excella: I just pulled the water pump because it leaks from between the metal motor housing and the plastic impeller housing. It's the original pump, made in 1991:

SHURflo Model 2088-403-144
4 amps
2.8 GPM

Are these pumps worth repairing? If not, what's the best pump to buy these days? I want a long-lasting quiet pump. It would be nice to have the water lines hook up in the same spots so I don't have to change those around. How much PSI can a 1992 Airstream take without any issues??

Thanks for any input you can give,
Doug
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I replaced mine 2 years ago because the diaphragm let go. I asked P&S trailer service about repair or replace and they said it is easier and cheaper to replace than repair. I am handy at repairs so I found a very similar pump to the original online at a good price. I was able to use the same fittings. The pump is doing great, no leaks and it is much quieter than the original. If you repair the seal that is leaking today , then next week the diaphragm could rupture, the impeller could break or the motor might just tie up.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
New pump

Thanks for the response. I've been checking online for a Shurflo that draws about the same amps as the original, and pumps about the same or more. The old one drew 4 amps and pumped 2.8 gpm. The Shurflo "Revolution" comes in two 12v versions. One draws 7.5 amps and pumps 3 gpm. The other draws 5 amps and pumps 2.3 gpm. It seems like a pump that draws more amps would also pump proportionately more water, but the numbers don't seem to work out that way. I don't know how much amp draw the wiring in the trailer will handle, so I need to learn more about that too. I'll go with a new pump and start a new thread to clarify questions.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote