Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Vent connections to perspective tanks

Who can briefly tel me how the black & grey vent pipes make their sealed connections to the tanks? Tomorrow , I'll be replacing the valves & adapters to both the grey & black tanks. (I've had to wait the last week on some parts, so in the mean time they have been suspended by 2X4's) Both have slipped during the last week and "slipped" down a bit before I got them raised back up. Now I'm worried about the vent connections on both tanks. Do they use some type of rubber seal , kinda like the vent pipes on the roof of a house?
Wondering if maybe I should attempt to drop them out completely and check things before I proceed.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
On our 75 ...
At the tanks it's just another fitting coming into the top of the tank.
At the roof line the pipe exits for about an inch above has a rubber flashing around it and a decorative piece of metal to hold the rubber in place.
Our vents also have hats, a cap to prevent water from entering.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I went ahead and dropped both tanks down far enough to "see" the tops. There are "flanges" built into the top of both for the vent pipes. The black vent goes up through the closet and terminates at roof. The grey vent goes up through the vertical vanity at the end of the closet and also terminates straight up at the roof.
I think I found out why we are constantly having black tank odors inside the trailer. With the Black tank lifted all the way up in it's normal position, the vent pipe doesn't go all the way up through the top of trailer. It's short by about an inch. I'm not sure, but I'd bet it should at least be flush with roof top, if not a bit higher. Tomorrow I'm going to go buy a few new roof vents, and some sealant.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Vent connections to perspective tanks

Maybe higher than flush ...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...s-89212-2.html
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote