Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Using TSP to clean holding tanks

Has anyone used TSP to clean the holding tanks, especially the black tank, to try to get the level sensors to work? If not, what has worked for you?
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
This is the best thing I have found (25+years of Airstreaming)
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

ps:
I do not include the chlorine bleach every time because in any concentration it is not so good for the rubber seals on the dump valves. Since I started using this method several years ago the inside of my black tank is back to its original white color and the sensors in the tanks read like new.
Getting the tank full enough to wet the sensors before dumping and then thoroughly rinsing after dumping to remove any debris are, IMO, two important steps.

Adding TSP to the mix would be helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Bruce View Post
Has anyone used TSP to clean the holding tanks, especially the black tank, to try to get the level sensors to work? If not, what has worked for you?
Thanks for the info. Definitely worth trying. My AS was nominally used over the years, so no telling how much "crud" has accumulated.
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I too can attest to the GEO method working for us. Our sensors on our new Classic started acting up after several months. After going on the GEO system, we have had no problems at all. It is cheaper than using bizarre chemicals and does not leave your trailer with a chemical smell.

Love it!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Thumbs up

Thank you for the link to the GEO article. I plan on sharing it with my AS group. I see AS's with their waste hoses hooked up, wide open and dumping for the entire weekend. I think all they are doing is making brown pyramids in their black tanks. As noted, full tanks produce good strong water flow which leaves a cleaner tank.
Ice in the tank is an urban legend. Utube has a nice video that shows a clear holding tank in the back of a pickup truck. It shows the ice just sloshing around but still, people, swear by it. If it helps at all, it's because they are finally getting enough water in the tank.
I'm in the first run of using the GEO method so I haven't seen an improvement of my sensor reading, yet. I expect once I've done it a couple of time, I'll be back to accurate readings.
I do agree to be cautious with the bleach part of the equation. Mainly because of the potential for damage to the rubber gaskets. Again, at the start of the season I cringe when I hear tell of pouring 3 or 4 cups of bleach into the water system and waste system to clean it out. Bleach in this concentration is just too caustic. I love this forum and science.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
[QUOTE=mbubbaca;2245491
I do agree to be cautious with the bleach part of the equation. Mainly because of the potential for damage to the rubber gaskets. Again, at the start of the season I cringe when I hear tell of pouring 3 or 4 cups of bleach into the water system and waste system to clean it out. Bleach in this concentration is just too caustic. I love this forum and science.[/QUOTE]

We seldom use the bleach in our black tank with this method. It works fine with just the Calgon and Tide liquid detergent.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Great article!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
I was surprised to learn that the sensors are actually outside of the tanks on our ‘18 Classic and giving faulty readings. Replaced under warranty.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I too can attest to the GEO method working for us. Our sensors on our new Classic started acting up after several months. After going on the GEO system, we have had no problems at all. It is cheaper than using bizarre chemicals and does not leave your trailer with a chemical smell.

Love it!
. We use the geo too. FWIW, I have never found the Calgon granular. The liquid ver is generally available at Wally's, tho on a recent coast to coast, the availability varied considerably store to store.

Plan ahead.
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
While the chlorine bleach may be beneficial for cleaning the black tank, it's not great for septic systems so use caution if you're dumping into a septic system. It would be even more of an issue if an RV park was on a septic system, given the volume of dumps they would encounter.

Another consideration are anti-bacterial soaps (never knew this until I sold my house that had a septic system). The operator of the service that emptied the tank commented that I must have been using anti-bacterial soap. He told me anti-bacterial soaps are extremely bad for septic systems as they kill the bacteria in the tank that breaks down the waste, which makes complete sense.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Thank you for posting the Geo method!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Prior to heading out, we’ll add about 1/4 to a half tank of water to the black tank then drop in a couple dishwasher tabs (with spot free rinse!). When we get to out destination, we’ll dump and flush.

Works like a charm.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Prior to heading out, we’ll add about 1/4 to a half tank of water to the black tank then drop in a couple dishwasher tabs (with spot free rinse!). When we get to out destination, we’ll dump and flush.

Works like a charm.

Jaxon, after we switched DW tabs awhile ago at home and after seeing what they did to the bottom of the copper RevereWare...hmmm, maybe for occasional use in the RV.
Thx for the post.
Bob
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Works like a charm.
I also add about ~5 gallons of water to the black tank before traveling. The water splashing around in the tank does do a good job of cleaning the sides of the tank. The laundry soap/water softener used in the GEO method works great with this. When I do not have laundry soap, I have substituted liquid dish washing detergent, Dawn or similar. I've also thrown in laundry detergent pods, liquid and/or powder. Any soap helps.

I leave this in the tank until the tank is full, then dump and flush. No need to waste it.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
This is the best thing I have found (25+years of Airstreaming)
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Regarding the GEO method, there are two reasons not to use chlorine bleach to clean your holding tanks:
  1. If mixed with other cleaning chemicals, it can react and give off chlorine gas, which is very dangerous, especially in enclosed spaces.
  2. It negatively affects septic systems by killing bacteria that helps break down solid waste.

There are two commercial products available that I use to help keep my holding tanks clean. They are similar to water softener products, but are more convenient to use:
  • Walex Elemonate Grey Water Deodorizer. It contains softeners and enzymes that help break down grease and waste.
  • Camco TST drop-ins, available in several scents. These are used in the black water tank.

One good piece of advice from the GEO blog page that I do follow: when parked at a full service site, I leave the black tank closed, and only empty it when it is nearly full, or before departing the site. I also attach a hose to the internal black tank cleaner and run every few days. Additionally, I always use RV toilet paper.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Jaxon, after we switched DW tabs awhile ago at home and after seeing what they did to the bottom of the copper RevereWare...hmmm, maybe for occasional use in the RV.
Thx for the post.
Bob
Our RevereWare copper's bright n' shiny at home!

Been using the dishwasher tabs for years on the black tanks - not harmful or corrosive for the DW nor the rubber components & seals on the DW at home. Sensors haven't been a problem, seem to be accurate as to fluid levels, too.

We run the tabs maybe once a month when going from one location to another full timing. Something we do when we've been parked for any duration to make sure the tank remains clean.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Bill, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good stratgey.

Happy trials
Bob
Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Regarding the GEO method, there are two reasons not to use chlorine bleach to clean your holding tanks:
<<snip>>
If mixed with other cleaning chemicals, it can react and give off chlorine gas, which is very dangerous, especially in enclosed spaces.
<<snip>>
Additionally, I always use RV toilet paper.
Adding bleach to a clothes washer, along with laundry soap and Borax, is done safely in the enclosed living space of homes. I think it is even safer to add laundry bleach in small quantities (following manufacturer's instructions for quantity based on water volume) to a RV waste tank, since the tank is vented to the exterior. A washing machine tub has no vent to the exterior.

It's been more than 15 years since I purchased RV toilet paper. I use septic tank safe toilet paper instead, mainly because it is more comfortable on skin and cost less.
There have been a few non-scientific tests that seem to indicate that some RV toilet paper does not dissolve as well as the type intended for normal residential use. This video is one example that convinced me to change>
Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Charmin UltraSoft is one that passes the dissolve test, and is approved by DW. So that’s what’s onboard at all times.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
  1. If mixed with other cleaning chemicals, it can react and give off chlorine gas, which is very dangerous, especially in enclosed spaces.
  2. It negatively affects septic systems by killing bacteria that helps break down solid waste.

There are two commercial products available that I use to help keep my holding tanks clean. They are similar to water softener products, but are more convenient to use:
  • Walex Elemonate Grey Water Deodorizer. It contains softeners and enzymes that help break down grease and waste.
  • Camco TST drop-ins, available in several scents. These are used in the black water tank.

One good piece of advice from the GEO blog page that I do follow: when parked at a full service site, I leave the black tank closed, and only empty it when it is nearly full, or before departing the site. I also attach a hose to the internal black tank cleaner and run every few days. Additionally, I always use RV toilet paper.

Gro, thanks for the oem formula and your follow-up
Bob