Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Lorton , Virginia
Replace Black water vs composting toilet ???

Hi All,

I have been away from forums and airstream for awhile (2 years) due to Little league et al. Finally getting around to fixing my 1980 International bath issue. I have a inch and half crack in bottom of black tank just short of thetford valve. Been contemplating whether to patch or replace for some time... Now I am thinking for all the work and effort to replace, maybe a composting toilet is the way to go. I have been doing as much research as I can and pulling out the black water tank and replacing with a composting toilet seems like a no brainier. Plus I can then also let the misses reconfigure the bath a bit to her liking. Any reason why I would not want to make the switch from old backwater system to composting toilet? Thanks for any and all ideas!
Rick
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
That subject has received lots of discussion.

Personally, I don't see any gain in the composting method.

Having to switch between wet and dry mode, carrying bags of urine out of the trailer for disposal, carrying peat, scoping up cooked-off manure and peat to carrying it out of the trailer all seem to be a whole lot bigger pain than a hose and rubber gloves....

But that is simply my opinion.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The 'Gone with the Wynns' videos on YouTube pretty much have me sold on the concept. I particularly like the ability to go longer between dump station visits and not using water capacity for toilet duties. I think both would greatly contribute to off-grid living.

Unfortunately my bathroom is pretty much pristine and original, and I haven't figured out an excuse to make the switch, but if I were like you and looking at doing a big repair in that area anyway - no question, I'd do it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Lorton , Virginia
Stephanie and JD,

Thanks for your comments. As with JD, I probably would not do it if all was well with my current system. But since I will be fixing a broken system, I am just thinking that this may be an opportune time to join the "Wynns". Other than JD's concerns, I can not think of a reason not to switch. Seems as like Sephanie, I am sold on the composting system. If anyone knows of a negative other then those mentioned by JD, please share.

Thanks
Rick
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If I was starting with a clean slate I would go with a quality composting toilet. I have friends that have them in their tiny homes and they are very happy with their decisions to use them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhutson View Post
Stephanie and JD,

Thanks for your comments. As with JD, I probably would not do it if all was well with my current system. But since I will be fixing a broken system, I am just thinking that this may be an opportune time to join the "Wynns". Other than JD's concerns, I can not think of a reason not to switch. Seems as like Sephanie, I am sold on the composting system. If anyone knows of a negative other then those mentioned by JD, please share.

Thanks
Rick
If you are sold on the composting toilet and you plan to do a lot of boon-docking, then you should consider fixing the old black tank anyway and connecting it to your existing grey tank to increase your grey tank capacity.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
I had a composting toilet in the barn and hated it. Maybe I didn't give it the attention it needed. It was in Arizona mountains, very dry climate, and it was difficult to maintain correct moisture. Yuk.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I'm not fond of composting toilets. We had one in our SOB.To much liquids and you kill the bacteria that breaks things down. To much solids and it don't compost fast enough. I had a crack in my black tank and was gonna buy the patch kit from VTS. But after some thinking about travelling around with stuff splashing about while traveling we decided to go with a porta pot. Takes 2 days with a family of 5 to fill and can be dumped on the go in any toilet. But if you don't plan on staying put at a site. Fixing the tank might be the best solution.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I just learned that some Airstreams have bathroom sinks that drain into the black tank. Make sure you aren't one of them or you'll need to reroute that.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
I'm not fond of composting toilets. We had one in our SOB.To much liquids and you kill the bacteria that breaks things down. To much solids and it don't compost fast enough.
This is why the composting toilets that I have heard the most praise for are designed to separate liquids and solids, and have fans to ventilate the composting bin.

To me, taking away a liquids container to empty it is not nearly as offensive as dealing with a full black tank, and is something that could be easily accomplished during daily chores, while emptying the black tank requires breaking camp and towing to the nearest dump station.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
As I have said on another post, I have an Airhead Composting head in my sailboat. It is one of the best purchases I've made for the boat. If for any reason I have to replace the toilet or holding tank on my AS, I would not hesitate to replace with an Airhead. There are several composting toilets of the market. Do your research and the difference in cost represents a difference in quality. The Airhead is the one that would fit better than others in an AS. If anyone has more ??, PM me and I will give my tel #

Reef early,

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (1).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	249443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (5).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	249444  

Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
We were in your exact situation - having to gut the washroom, replace the floor, and start with a clean slate. We also found we had a cracked Black water tank. We have used a composting toilet for over 12 years at summer cabin, and were comfortable with the operation, so we decided on putting in a Nature's Head composting toilet (very highly rated) when we redid the bathroom in the Airstream. Since our 1968 Sovereign did not have a grey water tank, we chose to replace the black water tank with a grey water tank to have that option available to us. We couldn't be happier! No smell and no mess. I'll deal with removing a container of liquid or a container of earthy compost anyday over dealing with the potential mess of emptying a black water tank and going thru the hassle of hooking up to get it emptied. Keep in mind that if you're at a campground with public facilities, you will probably be using their facilities anyway. The composting toilet is more than adequate for those nightly visits or when boondocking! For what its worth...
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I have a Nature's Head in my Airstream, and like it... as much as you can like a toilet! Emptying the pee bottle is pretty gross, especially in a small bathroom. Finding the septic connection at your campsite is a better way to go. Better ventilation, you turn the bottle upside down over the septic hole and run away. Life is good!

There is a new player in the composting toilet realm, C-Head. They're based in Astor, FL, which is a delightful place to camp. Some great springs and fishing nearby.

If you look at one of these beasts, they aren't very complicated. Maybe fashion up a DIY version, and see how you like it? 5 gal. bucket and a milk jug?

Keep the blackwater tank, it "automatically" becomes a graywater tank!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote