Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Where on earth do you store all that hosiery? What kind of connectors do you use? Does a longer hose mean a longer dump time? I've emptied many a bed pan in my day, but this sewer line business is getting the better of me...
In my case, the hoses all compress and can be stowed in the rear bumper compartment, and there are double sleeve connectors to hook the hoses together. I have never had to use a longer hose, although our "new" trailer has about 100' that came with it, I don't think I want to know why...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Where on earth do you store all that hosiery? ...
My Bambi II has a long, aluminum rectangular storage bin underneath it that runs front to back. I can carry ten feet of compressed hoses in it. The newer trailers have underbody storage bins too but they are typically made out of PVC piping.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A PVC tube mounted crossways under the trailer will hold a 20' slinky - once it's compressed. That's how I carried mine on my last trailer. I'm hesitant to put one under the Vintage unit - just doesn't go with the "look".
That aluminum holder running lengthwise under the trailer that was mentioned holds some promise though...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Where on earth do you store all that hosiery? What kind of connectors do you use? Does a longer hose mean a longer dump time? I've emptied many a bed pan in my day, but this sewer line business is getting the better of me...
Buy a FLUSH KING adaptor and that problem will go Away . Thanks to Moosetags I have one and it works great. Just before you unhook it will help flush both tanks and then the hose - works like a dream.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Buy a FLUSH KING adaptor and that problem will go Away . Thanks to Moosetags I have one and it works great. Just before you unhook it will help flush both tanks and then the hose - works like a dream.
My 2002 trailer has a black tank flush in it which accomplishes the same thing, I would think...tho it only works on the black tank.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Our black tank also has a built-in flush attachment, but it is very weak and slow. However my new Flush King arrived today! And I like that it will flush both tanks.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
So how long should it take to empty and flush the black and gray water tanks for 2 people after, say, 3 days? It seems like we're spending an eternity to get everything nice and clear before heading home, but is that neccessary? We have the buit-in flusher, and just got the Flush King to hopefully speed things along. Am I being unreasonably impatient, and--oh jeez-- anal?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Janet,
I have to empty my black tank every couple of weeks. I flush it every time. My black tank flushing thing stopped working all together after about six months of use. I use something simular to a flush king. It works well. I flush the Grey tank too. Takes about an hour to do both from start to finish. That's from getting the flush hose out and flushing adapter to putting it all away.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Michelle. At least now I know what kind of time frame to deal with.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Your time WILL vary...

Janet -

I also use the Flush King and am very partial to it... but then I don't have any SewerSolution/other experience to compare to.

As to flush time - I have found it to vary quite a bit according to who is using the facilities, and for how long we have been on site. This is at full hook up locations - NOT boondocking. The Flush King, with the 'see thru' section aids mightily in this endavour. If the wife/daughter combo are along, the TP is what causes the most 'need' for flushing. I keep refilling the tanks until the water - ALL OF IT - comes out as clean as it went in. Then I usually do one more 2/3 full flush of the BT, just to be sure.... and darned if on 2 occations, there wasn't more that needed to get out Can't seem to get the girls trained up, as of yet...

As far as actual time it takes, I can say that it has been as few as about 10 minutes - to upwards of 45 or so....Water pressure is likely the #2 variable in this process, #1 is noted above. But for me, KNOWING that the BT is clean is important to me, so I take as long as it takes.... Heck, I paid for the water & sewer, and by gosh.... I'll use it, thank you very much!

If there is any question as to your BT cleanliness, add about 5 gallons or so, then add a bag or 2 of ice cubes - pull to the next CG, dump... and prepare to be amazed! at what comes outta there...

All the best, and ENJOY that AirStream!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I carry a 20' hose. I've had to extend it close to its max a few times. I never can quite figure out those sites who have the sewer outlet up towards the front.

Jack
Sometimes I scratch my head and have to say the people who design/build campgrounds have never camped in an RV before.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Janet as Axel says your time will vary. We must be a quick flush in the pan, we don't spend anywhere near that length of time but we empty the tanks every time we move and we move frequently so there is no long period of holding, often adding water to fill the BT to have enough to flush with force. We don't always use the black water flush but use it thoroughly before returning home. We use the dry packets of AquaKem and it does a good job. We also run the gray water through last to rinse the hose and never leave the close-offs open. And we are adding more water these days along with the chemical so driving will clean out the tanks better. I would think results and conditions would vary according to the trailer's usage, i.e. short trip or series of stays moving, or extended stay or stationary fulltiming etc.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Many people have mentioned ice cubes for the black tank. I also use ice cubes but only AFTER I dump and use my black tank flush. I put a bag or two into the black tank just before I leave the CG because I have found that the trailer movement while I'm driving home rattles the ice cubes around in the tank. This activity helps to dislodge any stubbornly lodged "items".