Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Weaverville , North Carolina
Black tank odor

upon flushing the toilet we experience a strong order from the black tank. There is a water barrier in place. It doesn't smell when not flushed. Camping world sold us a new toilet but I believe that it is not properly venting. Any thoughts about how to trouble shoot black tank vent before I mistakenly install a new toilet?
diverjean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Be sure that the bathroom vent fan is not running when you flush the toilet as this will draw the sewer gases up from the tank.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Be sure that the bathroom vent fan is not running when you flush the toilet as this will draw the sewer gases up from the tank.
The black tank is directly under the gravity toilet. Unlike your home toilet there is no water filled elbow in the drain to prevent gases from rising. This is deliberate - so that flushing can be done with minimal water use allowing boondockers to stay in the wilderness longer.

The vent is probably working, but a quick whiff test will tell. You can probably smell a.bit of gas without dping.more than leaning over the roof. There is a little propeller device.that can be put on the top of the vent that is supposed to move more air out. Also, flushimg it more often when the weather is hot helps.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If things have been played with a bit, there is a possibility that the vent from the black tank out through the roof has issues. One of many ways to check things is to get up on the roof and try putting water down the vent ..... Obviously if there is a break in the line, it's going to come out all over the place. If the line is simply blocked, you will not be able to put water down it.

As others have said, this all really sounds like "situation normal" ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The black tank is directly under the gravity toilet. Unlike your home toilet there is no water filled elbow in the drain to prevent gases from rising. This is deliberate - so that flushing can be done with minimal water use allowing boondockers to stay in the wilderness longer.

The vent is probably working, but a quick whiff test will tell. You can probably smell a.bit of gas without dping.more than leaning over the roof. There is a little propeller device.that can be put on the top of the vent that is supposed to move more air out. Also, flushimg it more often when the weather is hot helps.
Not sure why you quoted my post as I was referring to the Ventline Fan in the bathroom. If you run it while flushing the toilet it will draw sewer gas up from the black tank. This can also happen (but not as likely) if you are running the Fan-tastic fans while flushing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ventline Fan.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	340488
Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Yep, if you hold the flush door open too long and have a vent fan running, you are gonna get a whiff of what's in the tank.

As far as the tank itself goes, at the beginning of the season I fill mine with water and some bleach and let it sit a day or two in an attempt to kill any odor causing bacteria.

You do not need a new toilet.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I would also take a look at what chemicals you are using. Some swear by the enzyme type "pillows" for their convenience. We had a horrible experience with these. AquaKem has always worked well.

We are now using the Liquid laundry detergent and Calgon. We have no smell at all (including chemical smell) and have sensors that all work. We've used this for over a year and have yet to ever smell any bad odors.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I would also take a look at what chemicals you are using. Some swear by the enzyme type "pillows" for their convenience. We had a horrible experience with these. [...]
Curious about what your horrible experience has been.

Recently we've been using both enzyme pillows plus liquid water softener. No problems so far.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Curious about what your horrible experience has been.

Recently we've been using both enzyme pillows plus liquid water softener. No problems so far.
We started using these on our new 2017 27' international. After about 2 weeks the smell from the bathroom was unbearable. I believe these require a buildup of good bacteria and being a new trailer, they did not work! We switched to AquaKem to blast it with chemicals to correct the bad smell.

Like I said before, since using the detergent/Calgon (and sometimes a little bleach) we could not be happier, have no "chemical" smell, and it's cheap. I will not go back to chemicals again.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I'd revisit your chemical concoction before suspecting anything else. I always have my bathroom vents running and everything is nice and fresh.

My preference is a small splash of each of these after dumping the black tank: dawn dishwashing fluid, calgon, bleach, gallon water. It never smells even months after.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am going to go to the Calgon and liquid laundry soap method today. I dumped the black tank 2 days before leaving Florida and had Greek food for dinner
Today I used the facilities without thinking and... the fantastic fans are both on high. "Unpleasant?" Like Chernobyl unpleasant!
Dante's 5th ring of Hell unpleasant.

I have seen the light.... and for a moment there thought, this isn't how I expected it to end.

Paula, on the way to Food Lion
Old 06-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am going to go to the Calgon and liquid laundry soap method today. I dumped the black tank 2 days before leaving Florida and had Greek food for dinner
Today I used the facilities without thinking and... the fantastic fans are both on high. "Unpleasant?" Like Chernobyl unpleasant!
Dante's 5th ring of Hell unpleasant.

I have seen the light.... and for a moment there thought, this isn't how I expected it to end.

Paula, on the way to Food Lion

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

DW and I went to Geo method a couple years ago. It’s been great - much better than chem-bags. But no matter what, you know that having those fans on while flushing is a sh... uhm, bad idea! [emoji3]

Also - I’ve used both the Calgon liquid and a version where I pre-mixed Calgon powder with water and Dawn. The powder reformed in to rocks in the jug over time. So I’d recommend the liquid only....others may think differently - just one guy’s opinion. I premix bottles of Calgon liquid, Dawn and water. Shake before using. I sometime add a scoop of Happy Camper if we’re camping for more than a weekend. As it is - weekend warrior utilization still requires lots of tank filling on Sunday to have a good experience at the dump....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
LOL, that sounds (smells) like a problem!

Don't forget bleach! It's probably the single most important bit in the concoction as it stops decomposition (and the smells associated with that process) dead.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote