Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Black Tank Bio Gas Generator

Call it naivety, but while pondering the capacity of a black tank to utilize on a 62 GT I asked a simple question. How much waste will we need to contain over how long of a time. There was no resource handy to determine how frequent my visits to the dump will be as determined by the capacity of the tanks. For some reason nobody would answer my question about how many gallons of waste a typical user produces over a weekend.

I looked into the average human waste production as determined by body weight and a western diet and I found some interesting facts about the inefficient human digestive system. This is mirrored by the efficiency of plants using photo synthesis at about 10%. While making in buckets in my garage I found the answers to gallons per diem I was looking for, as averaged between my lady and myself. She was a respectable 2.3 gallons and myself 3.1, averaging 2.5gal per person of bio slurry.

Scientific proposals for the conversion of human waste matter into bio gas generators are littered throughout the internet. A small scale version of this fit to the needs of a boon docked motor home would revolutionize the waste management requirements of everyday users while providing a supplemental energy source comparable to solar power.

One should remember that biological waste is full of pathogens and that heat pretreatment (homogenization) is required prior to waste matter entering a digester, the resulting slurry is stored in a tank that introduces organisms that consume the organic matter and produce methane gas. This gas is the used for cooking and heating reducing the need to send your woman out for firewood and minimizes the effects of deforestation.

The heat pretreatment serves another purpose, the remaining effluent that has been through the gas extraction process is suitable to spray on crops. The pathogens are gone and the organic waste has been rendered into fertilizer. It would then be suitable for sale or donation to a farm.

My project is far too modest to undertake this work by myself, my hope in sharing this proposal with the public domain is for the major manufacturers to investigate this process and incorporate what they can into future designs for sustainable waste management. I am sure NASA has a program devoted to this as the space station is a closed environment that requires the extraction of every unit of available energy.

Thank your for your consideration a link to the construction of a simple biogas generator follows.

Design, Construction and Maintenance of a Biogas Generator

Respectfully,

Eartheart
Eartheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Neat idea. All I can offer is that my trailer has a 20 gallon black tank and, under normal use, we'll fill it up in about 3-4 days.

That could be reduced by "watering the trees" or other such means, but half a week is what we normally see under normal conditions.

Best of luck,
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'll be installing a simple composting toilet come next spring. I've got some experience with anaerobic biogas power creation, I don't think it would be possible to run a plant with the small amounts of waste created.

Now, if you'd be a farmer with a barn full of cows, I could introduce you to some people.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Neat idea. All I can offer is that my trailer has a 20 gallon black tank and, under normal use, we'll fill it up in about 3-4 days.

That could be reduced by "watering the trees" or other such means, but half a week is what we normally see under normal conditions.

Best of luck,
Thank you, yes this confirms my findings at 2.5 gallons per person per day. I forgot to mention that I supplemented with water the g.p.f. of a Dometic 310 toilet and practiced the BFIDYIM method.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I'll be installing a simple composting toilet come next spring. I've got some experience with anaerobic biogas power creation, I don't think it would be possible to run a plant with the small amounts of waste created.

Now, if you'd be a farmer with a barn full of cows, I could introduce you to some people.
Yes, for two people to power the A/C would be a huge accomplishment.

The holy grail of solar integration is to produce enough power to offset Air conditioning.

So far building integrators have not reached this parity, but breakthroughs are made everyday.