Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
16' Bambi Waste Tank

I am new to Airstream and this forum having just purchased (August) a 2017 16' Bambi Sport. We really love the trailer and have used it for a few 4 day weekend adventures. We've had several other small campers but this is certainly the highest quality and most comfortable one I have ever had. There are just two of us and the size is perfect especially when getting in to tight places or fitting it in to my covered barn for storage. While we normally camp at sites with hookups, often you have to take an electric/water only site. In these cases the 21 gallon black/gray tank isn't sufficient. I do have a portable tank with wheels but I don't relish having to dink with sewer stuff every few days. Has anyone ever built a 2nd tank to mount under the rear floor area for these? There is certainly room for a "T" shaped tank back there that I calculate would hold 14 gallons. Does anyone sell something like this? I can certainly draw one up and have it fabricated but, if something already exists, I'd go for that.
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you are of the KISS mentality, perhaps you might prefer to try Len and Jeanne's solution first.

They used to have a 16 until it was lost in an accident, and they like to camp in rustic settings that often don't have hookups.

When they had their 16, here is essentially what they did. (I paraphrase).

1-Double-line the (dry and empty) toilet with 2 standard kitchen trash bags.
2-Add in a small amount of garden peat moss to the bag.
3-Use the toilet without flushing water. That is, do you thing into the trash bags with the peat moss in it.
4-When it gets saturated, or after a #2, "take out the trash" and dispose of the inner bag in the campground dumpster. Not substantially different than tossing out a used diaper.
5-Re-up with a new bag.

Doing this allowed for the waste tank to only have gray water in it. Both lasting longer in capacity, and being more favorable to deal with if a portable tank is used.

Another more simple idea you may prefer to try first is to find a way to divert the gray- only into the portable tank, and have the toilet only go into black.

Because again, dealing with a gray dump can be done in a dishwashing sink at the campground vs sanitary dump station.

also I did manage to find a previous thread on this topic:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...cx7-lnXBGPqV_w

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Abbotsford , British Columbia
If your continuing with the idea of adding a tank. I have a Waste tank(with sensor),Mounting bars and pan that I removed off of a 2014 Bambi sport.I'm not sure if there is a space in the frame a second tank. I didn't really pay attention to the frame when I tore it apart.
Argosy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I added a second drain for our shower and then T'd a second 1" line into the sink drain. I plumbed in a valve to stop flow from the sink to the holding tank when we want to utilize the overboard drain, The two new drains are connected beneath the trailer and exit on the street side (left side).
We can hook the outlet to our portable tank with ease...
Works great.
Bruce
Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
are you wanting to sell it?
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Yes, I was going to use it in my 75 Argosy but I found A set of tanks with the monitor panel and heaters. I have the tank with the sensor and the metal pan that fits under the trailer. Please Email me. I have some other parts in the classified section. I believe my Email address is in the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	282447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	282448  

Old 03-31-2017, 02:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
436BLUE had a thread last year about adding a tank.Someone mentioned space in the floor in front of the axel. Frame cross members should be a standard spacing so one would think the tank would fit right in. As I recall the pan hangs below the bottom of the frame with Dump valve exiting the side of the pan. If you were to seal the hole for the toilet which is on the door side. I wonder if the vent would end up under the cabinetry . My trailer was pretty torn up inside when I got it. I think there was a fridge,that would be difficult. I not sure if its possible to get a fitting with a flange that would allow you to reposition the stack opening under the cabinetry kitchen sink area. You would have two Dump valves but a separate tank for the kitchen sink . Perhaps someone on the site has more knowledge of how the structure is. I Think the tank was placed into the space.Two crossmember were bolted to the frame holding the tank up and the pan bolted to the cross members. Not sure if the factory built it from the top down or bottom up for accessibility. Just a idea.Cheers.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Reading , Massachusetts
Gray water

Hey Bruce

Interested in your grey water upgrade. Looking to buy a 16' sport but combo black/gray deal breaker. How hard is it to get to show drain to redirect?

Thanks
Amanda
Jamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Reading , Massachusetts
Shower

QUOTE=Jamanda;2018750]Hey Bruce

Interested in your grey water upgrade. Looking to buy a 16' sport but combo black/gray deal breaker. How hard is it to get to show drain to redirect?

Thanks
Amanda[/QUOTE]
Jamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamanda View Post
Shower

QUOTE=Jamanda;2018750]Hey Bruce

Thanks
Amanda
[/QUOTE]

Hi Amanda,
What I did on our Bambi was to install a second drain in the shower. That is the easy part of the greywater conversion. It goes forward through a small trap I made with hose and exits beneath the trailer to a PEX tube that carries it to the left side of the trailer. From there it is a simple task to collect it in a portable tank or...
We use a simple rubber drain cover to close the drain we do not want to use.
Simple and easy.
Bruce
Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Great idea!

What I did on our Bambi was to install a second drain in the shower. That is the easy part of the greywater conversion. It goes forward through a small trap I made with hose and exits beneath the trailer to a PEX tube that carries it to the left side of the trailer. From there it is a simple task to collect it in a portable tank or...
We use a simple rubber drain cover to close the drain we do not want to use.
Simple and easy.
Bruce[/QUOTE]

This is a very interesting idea. On a 5 day hunting trip I found that my black tank was the critical link for length of stay. I managed water (6 gallon jugs), propane, and batteries (solar) OK, and took one shower. I tried using a collapsable bucket when showering to capture water, but this would be more efficient. I have also thought of covering the drain and use a hand pump/siphon to bring the shower water outside through the external shower door.