Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Water Backflow Check Valve?

I have not used my freshwater tank since I bought my trailer because the first time I tested it I noticed I had a cracked filter and the pump would not pump water. At the time I was doing that testing, the trailer was hooked up to the campground faucet with the water turned off.

I finally replaced the filter and put in a new pump at the same time (quieter, variable flow, etc) but quickly ran into a problem. This time, while testing, I was not hooked up to campground water I just left the outside hose dangling and unhooked while checking out the system. When I turned on the pump, everything worked fine except that the pump, along with feeding the interior faucets, was pumping water out of my freshwater tank through the inlet hose where I hook up campground water. I figured there must be a check valve or switch somewhere in the system that is supposed to prevent that.

I have a 1986 LIMITED 34 foot Airstream

Anyone know what to do about this problem, if there is a check valve, where is it, etc?

Thanks

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
back flow valve

Hi Lee
On my 1973 the valve is under the gally sink were the plastic line from the pump meets with the cooper line from the outside inlet.
Not sure on the 1986, but it will give you a starting point.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Lee, the backflow valve, if there is one, should be part of or near the water pressure regulator, which should be near the city water inlet. Mine either does not have one or if it does, does not work either. I just keep a cap on the inlet, during the times the water is not hooked up. Pump works fine with the cap on.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Cap fpr inlet

Using a cap for the city water inlet was going to be my fall back position, but if possible, i would like it working like it's supposed to if I can find the valve and it's not a huge expense. My water comes in on the side opposite the kitchen sink, so if the valve is near the inlet, it may be hard to find. My inlet is a hose dangling from a small compartment that also houses the electric cord spring loaded reel, so it's hard to see much up there or get your hands up there to work on anything. If the valve is up there, it will be a problem. I will look under the bunk on the city water inlet side, and the bath (which is also on that side) in case it is there somewhere. I just wanted to be sure there was supposed to be a check valve and get some ideas of where to look

Thanks

Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Built in Pressure regulator

For everyone's info I talked to David Tidmore , a veritable fount of knowlege at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford TX (a dealer I recommend for knowing what they are doing) ,where I bought the water pump and without seeing it he said it was probably the built in pressure regulator that had gone kaput. Apparently it contains a check valve. I still haven't found it yet (it's pretty dark up in that small compartment where the electric cord and hose come out and I'm afraid of the dark), but I'll keep looking.

Thanks