Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Toilet not getting water??

My 79 Excella is finally acting up. I need a new water heater (all parts remain original, for the moment) so when I found a shut-off valve under the center bathroom sink, I tried it. Turns out it was for the toilet, so after a few minutes I re-opened the valve. Unfortunately, I cannot get any water to the toilet now unless I dump some in with a cup. Any idea why my foot-pedals are not delivering water? I have a permanent water supply, but I also tried my water pump--no luck either way. Any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated... thankfully my park has a building with bathrooms and shower 100 ft away so this is not a pressing emergency, just an annoyance.
Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder
My 79 Excella is finally acting up. I need a new water heater (all parts remain original, for the moment) so when I found a shut-off valve under the center bathroom sink, I tried it. Turns out it was for the toilet, so after a few minutes I re-opened the valve. Unfortunately, I cannot get any water to the toilet now unless I dump some in with a cup. Any idea why my foot-pedals are not delivering water? I have a permanent water supply, but I also tried my water pump--no luck either way. Any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated... thankfully my park has a building with bathrooms and shower 100 ft away so this is not a pressing emergency, just an annoyance.
Have you tried to work the valve a few times? Most likely some deposits have dislodged and are blocking the flow, or the valve's plunger is stuck.
You can try and loosen the connection to the toilet a small amount, see if water squirts out. That will tell you if it is the shutoff valve, or the toilet's valve. You should get good water flow when loosening the connection, not just residual from what is standing in the line.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
kinder

just on a hunch because i had this happen on my excella, turn off the water to the trailer then remove the body of the valve.

check and see if the washer is stuck to the valve seat. it is an easy fix, just pry the old one out and replace it with a new one.

a little dab of glue can help hold the washer on the plastic stem to keep it from coming off again.

when i had one of these fail this spring i thought i was loosing my mind because i couldn't get any hot water in my trailer, and i knew i had the valves on the bypass in the correct position!

john
Old 08-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I will check it out tonight and post my results tomorrow... I forget sometimes how 25 year old non-metal parts can stick and malfunction.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Toilet is fixed. I simply turned off the water, and then took apart the shut-off valve. No problems were apparent, so I rebuilt it. Turned back on water, and it worked perfectly. One of those "free" fixes, I guess. Thanks for the advice!