Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
newby just hooked up to city water to test

Once hooked up to city water no pressure and my wife tells me its ALL coming out! I was inside to open up the faucets.
Under the trailer on both sides on the street side there were two stop cocks turned them to off They were on the low side of a tank). On the curbside there was a small half inch ? small white pvc like pipe pointing straight down draining a continuous stream of water. there was an attachment clamp (unattached ) by another section of small whit hose on this side which I don't think is related. No water pressure inside and no flow of water to speak of. HELP
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sounds like your low point drain is open. there should be a close valve to that white pvc pipe that's draining. Close that, and your system will fill with water as long as you have a sink faucet open. When you drain your system, open the low point drain, open the faucets in the trailer and all your water hoses inside will drain the water out. Hope this helps!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Minno has it right. The two valves you describe are the low point drains for the hot and cold water lines. I recall these play a role in a quaint process called "winterizing" that is practiced annually by Airstreamers who do not live in Florida.

Whether you pressurize the water system by filling the fresh water tank and turning the pump on or hooking up a hose to the city water connection, if those valves are open water will flow out of them. Opening sink faucets will let air in faster and speed the flow.

The white plastic drain you describe sounds like the fresh water tank drain. On our 2014 25' EB that drain is between the tires on the STREET side... maybe on your year and size its on the curb side as you describe. If that's what it is, it drains the contents of the fresh water tank. That is also a step in winterizing, but most of us drain that tank for storage and refill for a trip.

If the low point drains were open you should have seen water flow out of them and little or no water pressure evey time you used the water regardless of whether it was from the fresh tank or a city water supply. Was the incident you described the very first time you used water with a new trailer?

As for the drain on the fresh tank, if you had not filled the tank and the drain was open it should not have drained anything when you hooked up the city water supply line. There is a check valve between the two supply sources (tank and city) that should prevent the pressure of the city feed from filling (then overflowing) the fresh water tank.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Is the white pvc pipe pointing down, near the front curbside hatch? If so, look inside the hatch. There is a small opening to the left inside the hatch. Look-feel and you will find a valve directly above where the water is coming out. Turn this valve and it should stop the flow, and allow the system to pressurize. I have a 25fb, but I think EB is set up very similar. Hope this helps.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
Thanks everyone

On the street side the two drainage valves were colored black and red so it makes sense hot and cold. On the curbside I will have to look I don't see a valve underneath.
I did not look under the trailers it was late (and wet) and we were just trying to familiarize ourselves.So today I will look under the trailer and in thinking about it it is where the kitchen sink is so I better look under that as well. Maybe I can figure out how to post pictures or a video
Old 06-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
Wink I think I got it

The white pipe on the curbside is clearly under the lavatory sink and by the water heater there is a valve in the trailer under the sink with a pipe which I think is heading down through the floor so I will try to shut this off and try again. Wish me luck. Not sure what this is for though.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
My first time to connect and turn on city water taught me to use a pressure reducer at the hydrant. Many public water supplies, even after the homeowner's in-line pressure reducer, are too high for trailer pipe.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Pics would help the forum to offer more detailed guidance.

A quick check of your owners manual online tells me that the valve under the lav inside the trailer is your water heater bypass valve. Page 8-14 shows both a picture of the fresh water tank drain and the location of the low point drains (which I think you've already confirmed).

Has the guidance thus far allowed you to get water from draining and perhaps even flowing through faucets?
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Did you buy this from a dealer or private sale? If it was a dealer, he/she should have checked out all systems and given you a thorough walk thru of ALL systems. If the dealer is nearby, you should go back and ask for one. There are many "secrets" that will be "revealed", that will bring you greater enjoyment. By chance I just happened to see a review recently about a new trailer, and found out that the bedroom television had an "easy do" swivel arm. I've owned this AS for 3 years and just now am enjoying this feature. Go figure. You may want to write down notes when you have your "walk through" and even take some digital pics for reference. I have full step by step checklists of what to do for things like winterizing and de-winterizing. You can forget a number of things when you only do them once a year, and some items MUST be done in a proper sequence. Enjoy your new toy and safe journeys.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edmonton , Alberta
Rosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Minno has it right. The two valves you describe are the low point drains for the hot and cold water lines. I recall these play a role in a quaint process called "winterizing" that is practiced annually by Airstreamers who do not live in Florida.

Whether you pressurize the water system by filling the fresh water tank and turning the pump on or hooking up a hose to the city water connection, if those valves are open water will flow out of them. Opening sink faucets will let air in faster and speed the flow.

The white plastic drain you describe sounds like the fresh water tank drain. On our 2014 25' EB that drain is between the tires on the STREET side... maybe on your year and size its on the curb side as you describe. If that's what it is, it drains the contents of the fresh water tank. That is also a step in winterizing, but most of us drain that tank for storage and refill for a trip.

If the low point drains were open you should have seen water flow out of them and little or no water pressure evey time you used the water regardless of whether it was from the fresh tank or a city water supply. Was the incident you described the very first time you used water with a new trailer?

As for the drain on the fresh tank, if you had not filled the tank and the drain was open it should not have drained anything when you hooked up the city water supply line. There is a check valve between the two supply sources (tank and city) that should prevent the pressure of the city feed from filling (then overflowing) the fresh water tank.
i am having a similar problem. Hooked up to city water and water is coming out of the fresh water inlet. Where is the check valve?
edrosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote