Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Fresh Water Tank ??'s

Hi all,

I sanitized my fresh water tank this weekend according to the instructions in my owners manual.

Should I keep some water in the fresh water tank when not in use? I emptied the tank with the valve located on the side and the monitor panel reads empty but I'm sure there's a little left in there. Will this little bit create problems or will it eventually dry out?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I don't know if this is the correct answer, but I always keep mine full. My logic is keeping it full presents less surface area for things to grow on.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I always keep mine empty. I look at the water in my pool (comes from the same place). If I do not add chorine to it daily it will turn green. This may be due to the fact that we have about 100 days of 100+ degree weather. I also empty the water heater when not in use.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We always try to keep ours empty whenever we can. I use the main drain under our AS to empty it. When we do need to go FULL/EMPTY I will flush out the tank a few times and then fill it.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We keep our fresh water tank about 1/4 full. I don't want to lug the extra weight of a full tank, but I do want some in there to use the toulet or get some water on the road. I that some water sloshing around as we go down the road helps keep the tank clean. We also fill the tank occasionally and use the pump for water for the day even while at a campground. We feel that this keeps all the seals in the pump going.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Water in the tank

I am not on the road this year due to renovation, just did axels now the plumbing. I travel with a full tank to lower the center of gravity in the trailer. Wind resistance is the big gas factor, it is a square of speed. for short term storage I leave anywhere from an eigth to a fourth of a tank in it with a double dose of hypochlorite (Chlorine bleach has it as the bleaching agent) to prevent growth of various organisms. When I fill up the dilution puts the hypochlorite below tolerance levels. If I have a full tank when I park I just adjust the Chlorine level. I have a 40 gallon tank and a fourth of a cup of standard Chlorine Bleach is ordinarilly enough. Too much could ... loosen things up !
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Totally empty when not in use.....and a re-sanitize before being put back in service.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Just wondering ...
Does draining the fresh water tank also drain the water heater? Or should the plug be removed?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Orange city , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SLVRSRFR
Thanks folks! I have been reading this thread and found it to be very insightful.....
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Just wondering ...
Does draining the fresh water tank also drain the water heater? Or should the plug be removed?
I have to pull the plug on mine to drain it. Be careful it is under pressure. I open the relief valve first then remove the plug.

Richard

Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Fresh Water Tank Drain Valve?

Does anybody know if there's a drain valve for the fresh water tank? Or do you have to run the water pump and unstop the drain valve to drain the fresh water tank?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The drain valve for my 75 TW is under the sink, below the floor, right where the line from the tank goes to the water pump. It is a little hard to get to and has a handle like a garden hose valve.

Richard

Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks, Richard.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I drain mine as soon as I get home. If we are boon docking I take a full tank but otherwise leave about 5 gal's in for travel. Washroom/picnic stops along the way always require some water. I flush the tank well before reusing it.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Maybe the tank should be full when on the road

After Nick's post here http://www.airforums.com/forums/430815-post3.html on another thread, I did a seatch on Surface Water Effect. The discussion was that a partially full fresh water tank can lead to instability when towing because of the sloshing of the water. Full and/or empty tanks are stable because they have very little Surface Water Effect.

Also on that same thread 2air provides a link to this product Purogene Fresh Water Treatment Information. This sounds like it might be a solution for keeping the tank fresh and full all the time. 2air gives it a good review. Anyone else use it?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Keep it full or empty. I usually keep mine full (60 gals) with about a cup of household bleach in it. You never know when you are goign to need an emergency water.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"Potable".... uh don't think so.

I carry water and agree it's better to fill it for stability... found that one out the hard way. Although if you're down to just a gallon or two the slosh factor is minor.

I do wash dishes and myself and operate the throne with the fresh water tank. I don't drink it.

I carry bottled water when I'm away from my home base. I'm not a believer that tap water is bad, in fact my dentist says bottled water is doing wonders for his job security - because people are not getting enough fluoride in their daily diet. I drink tap water at home, but I don't want any trip ruined by getting diarrhea and spending the whole trip getting "ring around the butt" from long uncomfortable sessions in the bathroom. I do add about a cup of bleach when I fill the tank just to keep the green stuff from growing. Bleach ordinarily decomposes in 2 days so in a pinch I could drink it without worrying excessively about the taste. In the desert I would.

Bottled on the road is a personal preference, not a holy grail. In many rural locations you get a lot of iron in the water and I just don't like that taste - and if some campgrounds maintain their well water as badly as they do their sewers... why take any risk. I normally buy a 24 pack of half liter bottles and that lasts for the whole trip.

Paula
Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We keep the tank empty other than when we know we are traveling to a site without water. With a 60 gallon tank on our Classic, that's a weighty load to pull, especially in light of the fact that I'm dealing with a slide out and probably the heaviest tandem axle Airstream on the road today.

With the many issues with Marathon tires, I'm pretty much for eliminating any additional weight that absolutely isn't necessary. With the local temps as high as they have been in our neck of the woods, I probably would consider even doing a fill locally at the destination site (or as close as possible) than to carry the additional water weight a long distance.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So let me get this right... I am very new to all this, and behind my ears, well it is wet and green at the same time... Ya'll put clorine in your drinking water? And then ya'll go and drink it? I think there has got to be a better way than that. I think I'll drink from a bottle.
Now as far as traveling full versa empty... water weights around 8 pounds per gallon so if the fella previously was to travel full with 60 gallons.. thats around 480 extra pound. Now I didn't know Wally, but, what I have been able to gather from books and such, is that weight was to be kept to a minimum. Light weight materials and construction techniques were utilized specifically by Wally. The goal was to pull a trailer that was "on air". I find it much easier to pull something that is light versa heavy. If your trailer is effected by trucks maybe you should look into weight distribution and sway control as a more effective fix. A water little in the tank is good so that when the next rest stop is closed for renovations you have the freedom to take care your needs.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Most tap water does have some chlorine in it as well as other items. You put chlorine bleach into the tank at the correct levels, pump that mixture through the supply lines to sanitize the tank and supply lines. Flush it all out when done, then fill the tank up and enjoy.

At 8.6lbs per gallon of water, it is one of the single largest added weight items in the trailer. Wally may have had the idea of a lightweight trailer, but modern luxury items like microwaves, huge fridges, queen sized beds, large BTU a/c units, TVs, stereos, DVD players, corian countertops, much larger BTU furnaces, 80lbs of LP to feed these beasts, all add to the weight making the reality of a lightweight trailer a somewhat thing of the past, as you may have found out, owning a vintage comparing it to a new Airstream.

Airstream came out with the Argosy line and now the "Sport" line to try to get close to that goal of a lighter weight trailer. Bottom line if you want creature comforts, the weights will go up.

I've towed with a full tank of water, half tank of water an no water. Now I can see how you could get into a situation with water sloshing all around, but in my travels so far, the Safari towed more solid with even half a tank of water, which in my case is about 19.5 gallons or about 168lbs. I think the sloshing around isn't as big of a deal due to the fact that the tank is right over the axles (on larger, newer Airstreams). Since it's so low and the trailer itself has a low center of gravity, could be why in a few evasive driving situations on the road (with a half tank or less) I haven't seen any loss of control. Of course, math was never my strong point, and I never took Physics or Geometry, so your result can and most likely will vary.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote