Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

John Day , Oregon
Fresh water spout

We have a 2000, 25' Safari . When we got it the little white plastic drain valve on the side was broken. The previous owner gave me a new one that he had purchased but not installed. On our last trip out we noticed that we were leaking water. Once home I found that he had simley srewed a bolt into the broken drain to plug it. Since I had the new one I tried to replace it.
I removed the two sheet metal screws that hold it in place but it doen unscrew. At big time RV repair shop they told me they would have to drop the belly pan and the grey water and black water tanks to fix it.
Does any one have any knowlege in this feild? Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jim
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Got a picture of the valve in question?
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

John Day , Oregon
water spout

Funny you should ask...When I found out how much it was going to cost to have it replaced, I put it back in the truck and now I can't find it. How unlike me!! It is white plastic, turns 1/4 turn to drain, has a mounting flange, all one piece, with two holes in it. There are threads on the back side of the flange that screw into something invisible to the naked eye. There were two sheet metal screws through the holes, threaded into the fresh water tank. Between the tank and the flange is a small sheet metal bracket that looks as if it was meant to protect the valve, but failed. Are you getting the idea that I am not a technical writer?
Thank you all for any help, Jim
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
The back side of the valve that you say is threaded could that actually be a barbed fitting. That is to say that there are a series of angled rings around the pipe. If it is the valve is installed by pushing it into the pipe. It will not unscrew as you say. Unless you can get access to the back side of the valve it will be very difficult to remove. You shouldn`t have to remove the waste tanks or the belly. WEhat you will have to do is cut a small hole in the belly right where the broken valve is so you can get at the back of it. Once the valve is replaced you can patch the belly.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

John Day , Oregon
It is definitly threaded, not barbed. Maybe the guy I got it from had the wrong one, but the part that i can see is the same as the allgeded replacement. They are right hand threads, but not tapered like pipe threds. I can turn the broken one, but it is behind the front wheel, door side. Can I just seal it up and drain the tank from the little petcocks on the bottom? Jim
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
La Pine , Oregon
Cool Same Problem w/ 96 Classic

sylvan,
Had the same problem with our AS 2 yrs ago. Look to see if you have an access panel about 6"X6" with 4 screws in your bellypan by the drain valve. If you do, pull the 4 screws and it will give you access to the valve. It is barbed with a small hose clamp on the drain hose between it and the tank. Loosen the hose clamp then take the 2 outside screws on the valve out and then twist the valve loose from the hose. Reverse the order and you should be in business. If you don't have an access panel, you have to access everything from the top & from the inside. (Tight and miserable quarters!)
GNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #7

2007 25' Classic
San Clemente , California
larger water tank

We have a 2007 25 foot front bed classic. Every time my wife takes a shower, I have to go out and refill the 30 gallon water tank. Has anyone figured out how to add a larger tank to this model? I think I could put another tank under the dinette seat, but am not sure how this could be hooked to the main tank, or what it would do to the weight distribution. Thanks
Doug Bender is offline   Reply With Quote