Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Fresh Water Holding Tank

Recently purchased a 1988 Excella 34. The PO installed a new fresh water tank in '09. In the process the plumbing was revised drastically. The drain valves were removed from the "well" area and other changes were made. The only document I received was the sales slip for the new tank. Does anyone know how to get a diagram of the tank. From what I can see, without removing the new tank, there may be four inlets to the tank: a suction for the pump, a petcock drain, a large (1"+) line connected to a port on the exterior of the TT above the wheel well, a mystery connection 3/8" that is connected to nothing and I think there should be a fill line for the pressure water from an outside source. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, to my knowledge, there is no screw-on fitting to fill an AS fresh water tank. It would normally have what you describe as a "port above the wheel well" to use for filling. I suppose that is due to fear of over-filling and possibly damaging the tank.

I would expect to see a vent for the tank, and normally as far as I have seen, those vents go to the roof.

Perhaps someone else will shed a clearer light on your situation, but it looks like you have most of the logical connections. Have a closer look at the "mystery" connection though, it may connect to a pipe to the roof...

Remember that for "city" water, there is another connection that does not go to the fresh water tank. On my trailer, it's at the rear street side, and is a common garden hose fitting.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thanks for your help. I have removed some drawers, panels and doors to get a better picture of the existing system. You are right the large 1"+ line is the fill line and it goes to an outside fill port over the wheel well. The mystery line is the vent line and it is now connected to a small port inside the main fill port housing. Lets you know when the tank is getting full without a big mess. Good idea by the designer. With a few minor changes the layout now follows the original design in the owners manual. Thanks again.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You're very welcome, Mike.

I love those 34-footers. Will you be posting photos of it, especially the interior?

cheers,
Aage