Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Question Extra water tanks: Bad idea 43,294?

Its cold out today and I don't feel like getting out in it to work on the Trade Wind. So here I am, drinking coffee and thinking about how I would like the rig to be. From my perspective as a boondocker, the major limitation the camper has is the limited amount of fresh water it carries.

I got to poking around and found a fresh water tank from Inca Plastics that would fit between the frame without going below the belly pan. The tank holds 19 gallons. So if I could tie that into the existing 30 gallon system, I would have close to 50 gallons. COOL. But then I got to thinking, why not add two? Seventy gallons of fresh water would really impact the amount of time I could stay in the boonies.

I have to wonder though, if it wouldn't be a bad idea. The water would add about 300 pounds to the rig. It would be low, but is that to much to add to the frame? What other big issues would have to be resolved?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
go for it

so, are ye replacing axles? just get axles with a higher rating-then, while designing the frame/tank supports, be sure to make them stout enough, and as light as can be to hold the extra weight.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
so, are ye replacing axles? just get axles with a higher rating-then, while designing the frame/tank supports, be sure to make them stout enough, and as light as can be to hold the extra weight.
No, I replaced the axles when I bought her 3 years ago. Now that I think about it, they may have been rated slightly higher than original, I should check on that. Might be that the extra tanks would HELP.... Hows that for an attempt to talk myself into doing it?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Option two...

TomW suggested just putting one tank in the back of the pickup. I know that Jimminni does this with a 100 gallon tank. He also has a 100 gallon waste tank, which I don't really think I want right now.

So here are the questions:

1) I think 50 gallons ought to be enough, would it be smarter to overbuy?
2) Is there an advantage to tanks in the truck over the trailer or the other way?
3) It seems to me that a tank that would fit up against the front of the truck bed reaching across the bed would ride best if one went the truck route. Does that sound about right?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
TomW suggested just putting one tank in the back of the pickup. I know that Jimminni does this with a 100 gallon tank. He also has a 100 gallon waste tank, which I don't really think I want right now.

2) Is there an advantage to tanks in the truck over the trailer or the other way?
3) It seems to me that a tank that would fit up against the front of the truck bed reaching across the bed would ride best if one went the truck route. Does that sound about right?
Saw a post awhile back where a member keeps extra water in a tank in the truck bed. He hooked up a 12VDC pump to transfer the water to the Airstream. If there was a need for water the truck was easer to manuver then a truck-trailer combo.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Doesn't Camping World sell a water bladder that is designed to fit in the pickup bed? Far less expensive and something you can fold up and store if you don't need it for a particular trip. Something you can also refill without moving the trailer. Connect a hose from the bladder to your fresh water intake - and possibly a little encouragement by pressing on the water bladder should be a great option for refilling the fresh water.

Of course another consideration is disposing of used water
  • there are rare places where you can dump your graywater... and a few where late at night there are thirsty raccoons... a sewer solution into the deep woods... with a lot of care to dig a gopher hole and fill it in later...
  • a BIG blueboy - that you can get on and off of your truck is going to be a must.
Paula
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:

From about 1970 the factory tank was about 50 gallons, just forward of thew axle

2 A tank in the truck is easier to get to the water source and an in bed tank may be high enough to transfer water by siphon with out a pump

3 I have a 50 gallon fuel tank in that location, no problems.

We use about 5 gallons a day boondocking. . I installed a lighter plug in a side compartment and carry a spare pump I plug in there. refill from 6 gal. containers without having to lift and hold them.
I agree that water is the most important factor when boondocking.

TAC TN2 ( I wasn't fast enough)
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
I think buying a water tank for your truck or TV is the way to go. If you run out of water you can simply drive the the nearest source of water, fill up the fresh water tank, drive back to your Airstream and fill it up. The flexability is huge, you don't have to move your Airstream to do this. Jimmini's set-up is ideal. I'm going this route, but I only want a fresh water tank, for now. I'm trying to find a 100 gallon water tank for my Excursion, but can't find anything for a decent price (and Jimmini doesn't remember where he bought his in AZ ).

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Before I got my Sovereign 21' with it's stock 50 gallon fresh water tank, I would carry a 35 gallon tank in my pickup to supplement my Bambi's 23 gallon tank. I would use a small 12 volt transfer pump.

About $100 including UPS shipping:
35 Gallon 18 x 34 Leg Tank 5" Fillwell | U.S. Plastic Corp.

They can provide tanks in a multitude of sizes.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have no experience with this particular question, but I can tell you from owning a motorhome that having to drive it to refill the propane tank is a pain in the ass. An extra water tank in a trailer would fall into a similar category, I think - actually, maybe even worse since you need more water than propane. I definitely recommend putting something in the tow vehicle!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I think extra water is a great idea. I am not handy enough myself to install extra tanks but might purchase some kind of a kit if one were available. The 40 gallons on our 25 Safari limits boon docking to 3 days. We carry jerry cans and replenish the tank periodically but extra tanks would limit the lugging of those cans and the unpleasant chore of pouring them into the water tank.
No need to carry extra water across the country. Most filling stations have a water hose. Fill the tanks when you get near your camping destination.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Note that with pickups, it's really simple to buy two 55 gallon poly water drums... and they transport just fine filled up in the front of the bed w/ a 2" strap to keep things from moving. I've used this to carry water to Burning Man for the camp... adding 800 lbs to the truck instead of the trailer makes good sense if you have the spare GVW.

I'm likely to go this route for a gray water tank - one black poly drum & one potable blue one.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote