Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Continuous drain from fresh water

Just bought a 27 ft, 1984, rear bath, Sovereign. We took it on its Maiden Voyage this past week. Hooked up city water and immediately noticed water draining out a drain tube under the rear. 3 tubes there. Two had valves that would allow for winter draining but the tube the water was coming from seemed to head up the left side towards the fresh water tank.
Never could get it to stop so had to disconnect city water and use fresh water tank and water pump when we needed to flush or wash. Dripped when not being pressurized but turned into a steady stream if pump was on or city water hooked up. Still had a great time, just put a drip pan underneath and emptied occasionally.
Any thoughts as to the cause? Where do I look?
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I bet there's another valve on that drain line, just hidden and in an odd place. Mine are oddly placed.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Just bought a 27 ft, 1984, rear bath, Sovereign. We took it on its Maiden Voyage this past week. Hooked up city water and immediately noticed water draining out a drain tube under the rear. 3 tubes there. Two had valves that would allow for winter draining but the tube the water was coming from seemed to head up the left side towards the fresh water tank.
Never could get it to stop so had to disconnect city water and use fresh water tank and water pump when we needed to flush or wash. Dripped when not being pressurized but turned into a steady stream if pump was on or city water hooked up. Still had a great time, just put a drip pan underneath and emptied occasionally.
Any thoughts as to the cause? Where do I look?
The high pressure pop off valve, is the problem.

The output from it goes to that 3rd drain line.

It's a brass valve that's tied into the water system, and the number on top if it says 111.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
wow, quicker response than I could have hoped for. I believe I found the valve and it is pretty accessible. Does not have a 111 stamped on it but it is a brass pressure valve with the words "Unless otherwise stamped, pressure regulated to 125", and of course it is stamped to say "60". So the initial surge from the water hookup probably blew this out. Hopefully these are readily available at local hardware stores. Will write back when I change it out an test. Thanks Andy! Thanks Airstream Forums!
Chuck
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
wow, quicker response than I could have hoped for. I believe I found the valve and it is pretty accessible. Does not have a 111 stamped on it but it is a brass pressure valve with the words "Unless otherwise stamped, pressure regulated to 125", and of course it is stamped to say "60". So the initial surge from the water hookup probably blew this out. Hopefully these are readily available at local hardware stores. Will write back when I change it out an test. Thanks Andy! Thanks Airstream Forums!
Chuck
You may not find that pop off valve at a hardware store, but they are very common to Airstreams.

A few Airstream dealers have it.

Andy
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'll check a plumbing supply house here in Corpus Christi and then check back with you to see if Inland RV Center is one of the few that have it and will ship. I should also have a pressure regulator that I install in the line I imagine, so should that be about a 60 lb to 40 lb or something in that range?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'll check a plumbing supply house here in Corpus Christi and then check back with you to see if Inland RV Center is one of the few that have it and will ship. I should also have a pressure regulator that I install in the line I imagine, so should that be about a 60 lb to 40 lb or something in that range?
Your Airstream already has a pressure regulator.

However, for maximum protection, some owners install a pressure regulator, at the faucet. That then protects the water hose, as well as a backup for the trailer.

Yes, we maintain a nice inventory of many parts.

Andy
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The pop off valve might be working as designed since you don't have a problem when using the water pump. Most water pumps regulate the water at around 45 pounds which is well under the 60 pound limit for the pop off valve. If the water regulator is not working or out of adjustment you might have too much pressure in the system causing the pop off valve to open.

A simple test would be to install an inline regulator on the hose connection and see if water still drains from the system.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The pop off valve might be working as designed since you don't have a problem when using the water pump. Most water pumps regulate the water at around 45 pounds which is well under the 60 pound limit for the pop off valve. If the water regulator is not working or out of adjustment you might have too much pressure in the system causing the pop off valve to open.

A simple test would be to install an inline regulator on the hose connection and see if water still drains from the system.
I agree.

And much easier than changing the valve, too.

Andy
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thanks to both, my fault for not giving complete info. While I was able to continue camping with minimal effects using the pump, it still dripped continuously after the initial blow out by the faucet connection. I can turn the pump on, use the toilet or sink, but it also creates a stream of water thru the drain. When I turn the pump off it reduces to a light drip.
Chuk
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks to both, my fault for not giving complete info. While I was able to continue camping with minimal effects using the pump, it still dripped continuously after the initial blow out by the faucet connection. I can turn the pump on, use the toilet or sink, but it also creates a stream of water thru the drain. When I turn the pump off it reduces to a light drip.
Chuk
Ahh, back to post # 3.

Andy
Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Chuk
Sounds like the pop off valve...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
LOL if it wasn't Sunday I would be out searching.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
I just had a senior moment I think. I believe the valve I found was actually the pressure regulator. (That is why it is stamped "60") Where the heck would the pop off valve be hidden?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I just had a senior moment I think. I believe the valve I found was actually the pressure regulator. (That is why it is stamped "60") Where the heck would the pop off valve be hidden?
Near it.

Andy
Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ignore last post. Being old is tuff, being stupid is tuffer.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011