Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Finally I have all 4 awnings back on my trailer

Well It has been a while since all the awnings on my trailer were on the trailer and worked. I had removed the rear one a while back to do some sealing back there and had not put it back. It unwound itself and I did not want to mess with it.

My awning on the left side was ripped off the mounts during a tornado in March but it was fine other than that. This one is over 20ft long.

I learned a little about how to install them on the track and wind the spring back. The long one was a bear. Me and the wife struggled with it. It won't slide if the metal leaf that goes in the slot is sagging down too far. You have to hold it up and push. This is not easy with something that long. We finally got it on the track. The spring end is the one on the left side of the awning when looking at it mounted on the trailer. To wind the spring you attach the right side to the mount and fully extend the awning. On the left side you wind the arm clockwise being careful not the hit the side of the trailer and not to let go of the arm. I used trial and error to figure out how many turns to make it. I was also doing this on a narrow awning so it did not take many turns. I can imagine this process to get complicated with the full awning on the right side of the trailer. There must be a formula for calculating the number of turns to wind the spring on the big main awning. Once you get the spring wound, attach to the mount and test for proper operation.

My main awning has a lock mechanism that you can add to your other awnings like the left side awning. If mine had this lock I don't think it would have gotten ripped off in the tornado. It has a little lever on it. When the lever is out then you can extend the awning.

I had to rivet the mounting bracket back on the trailer. This was not much fun and many of the holes were distorted from the rivets being ripped out. I suffered a few minor dents but nothing to get worried about on a 30 yr old trailer. The bottom mounts were still attached and the awning was hanging from them. I put Trempro-635 under the bracket and also sealed the top edge with Parbond.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Well done! I wish we had awnings all the way around. Someday.....
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Awnings are a much bigger job than they first appear. Worth the trouble (and expense). Glad it was no worse than it sounds, and I can imagine how pleased you are with them rolled out . . working!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Thanks REDNAX. I will need to replace the fabric at some point. The seams have cotton thread and it is coming apart. I have a few vents that are not supposed to be there but I have something I can use.

The little awnings were easy but the bigger one was not. Two or more sets of hands is necessary for the big awnings. I think I could replace the fabric now without too many problems.

Perry
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is some useful info on awning installation in this video. According to the video you can install the long awnings easily by removing the first leaf in the awning cover the raise the awning up on it's arms to the retracted position then install the leaf to is engages the awning and the mounting track on the trailer. I wish I had seen this video earlier.

It also shows you how to wind the spring. You use one turn on the spring for every foot of awning. That would be every foot in the short direction.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gE_MAX1CLn4

Perry
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I wish I had seen this video earlier.

. . and had a pair of tall strong young men on call!!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote