Finally I have all 4 awnings back on my trailer
Well It has been a while since all the awnings on my trailer were on the trailer and worked. I had removed the rear one a while back to do some sealing back there and had not put it back. It unwound itself and I did not want to mess with it.
My awning on the left side was ripped off the mounts during a tornado in March but it was fine other than that. This one is over 20ft long.
I learned a little about how to install them on the track and wind the spring back. The long one was a bear. Me and the wife struggled with it. It won't slide if the metal leaf that goes in the slot is sagging down too far. You have to hold it up and push. This is not easy with something that long. We finally got it on the track. The spring end is the one on the left side of the awning when looking at it mounted on the trailer. To wind the spring you attach the right side to the mount and fully extend the awning. On the left side you wind the arm clockwise being careful not the hit the side of the trailer and not to let go of the arm. I used trial and error to figure out how many turns to make it. I was also doing this on a narrow awning so it did not take many turns. I can imagine this process to get complicated with the full awning on the right side of the trailer. There must be a formula for calculating the number of turns to wind the spring on the big main awning. Once you get the spring wound, attach to the mount and test for proper operation.
My main awning has a lock mechanism that you can add to your other awnings like the left side awning. If mine had this lock I don't think it would have gotten ripped off in the tornado. It has a little lever on it. When the lever is out then you can extend the awning.
I had to rivet the mounting bracket back on the trailer. This was not much fun and many of the holes were distorted from the rivets being ripped out. I suffered a few minor dents but nothing to get worried about on a 30 yr old trailer. The bottom mounts were still attached and the awning was hanging from them. I put Trempro-635 under the bracket and also sealed the top edge with Parbond.