Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Speaking of acrylic.....Klasse Acrylic Sealant Glaze

Speaking of acrylic....

Back in 1984 I spent some time in San Jose, CA and I had my personal car there. I was single back then, had all sorts of time to detail my car. I was in an auto parts store one day and ran across these products:

Klasse Car Care Products, Klasse Detailing Products, Klasse Sealant, klasse all in one

I was hesitant at first, because the 1-liter can of sealant-glaze was $25 (big bucks in 1984), but the shop owner recommended it highly, told me I would use very little of it on my car, and said he'd refund my money if I didn't like it.

I tried it and it was FANTASTIC! Over time, I used the sealant-glaze on non-oxidized paint surfaces, and used the all-in-one cleaner-glaze on cars that needed that.

I'm out of both at the moment, but I'm going to order one of each and try them on my Avion. If they don't work well (which I doubt), I'll keep them for our vehicles.

I haven't heard anyone mention these products.... any comments?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Paul, I don't recall ever seeing the product around these here parts... Y'all got a Kodak or Polaroid you can post of the bottle?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

I buy Klasse AIO and the SG at Autopia. Best I've ever used on paint.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Here you go......
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I buy Klasse AIO and the SG at Autopia. Best I've ever used on paint.
Have tried either on your trailer?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Trailer is anodized, so, no clearcoat. What does work is the the old Hilltop Silver Streak formula of some acetone and olive oil (or auto trans fluid; formula posted in another thread). See threads.

My trailers have all been 32' or larger. I've been more interested in how to get an even sheen. Depending on which trailer this has been a matter of condition. Even with best trailer the product line from EaCo is my more likely approach.

The K products on my one ton with windowless topper has been outstanding. But it's huge. I'll not ever again do it by hand. That said, it's an easy system to use and easily superior to chain store products. I started using it twenty years ago and wished I'd started in the 1970s when I first saw it advertised in aviation magazines. It's that good.

But the square footage of this current 35' TT surface defies mans comprehension.

One will need a lot of product. How long it will last on a silvery surface is not known to me. But surface prep, AIO and then multiple coats of SG is one lot of work.

Had I a few sons available, I could see doing it. I'd rather this than the Everbrite type coatings.

The hard work done in early 2013 on the truck is still evident. Folks are surprised my truck is 12-yrs old and with over 200k miles.

The product is very good on headlights, glass, etc. I recommend it as part of your cleaning/restoring product shelf. It, and Gel Gloss in liquid form, are very good to have around the car, house and trailer.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Correction

Jim Dupree posted the formula back in '08 on the SS Board as used by the dealer where my Dad bought and had his Silver Streak serviced:

(1) part olive oil
(5) parts lacquer thinner

Wash (brush clean) the trailer first.

I pour the mix into a coffee can and use a rag of which I'll dispose with the can. I use a ladder to reach up to the roof edge, and wipe the whole surface. I usually have to refill the can to the halfway point several times.

Leave as is.

Will look good through several light showers when at rest.

Done a few times yearly it maintains a nice look even if it collects some dust.

It is a definite improvement.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Did my trailer a month ago with Hilltop formula. Took a few days for the shine to settle down. Sort of too much at first.

We've had no rain and it still has the glow. Bits of dust, chaff from the winds, but a nice look for very little expense and effort.