Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
rustoleum aircraft stripper issues

i decided to polish my 1965 caravel that i had previously polished about 6 years ago. after the original polish i put shark hide on the trailer and it has held up well. discussion with professionals say that i need to remove the shark hide before polishing and i am not 100% sure that the original clear coat was successfully totally removed.
shark hide says that lacquer thinner will remove the shark hide. i am not convinced after trying it.
so i bought some rustoleum aircraft stripper and have been applying it.
my airstream looks awful. it is all patchy and blotchy. i have been applying it and then using paper towel to remove it after 5-15 minutes in about 80F weather.
also used water from a hose but i kind of feel like i am spreading the stuff around and have white uneven areas around.
what is others experience and how do you get the stripper off?
has anyone used rustoleum? is it ok?
please help my disaster
thanks
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Hard to see from here what's going on but trying to remove a coating with lacquer thinner sounds terrible at best to me.
Never used the rustoleum stripper so no help there, good results on clearcoat with Citristrip though.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try some of this stuff. I don't recommend the orange flavored stuff that is in vogue. Put this stuff on, let is sit a while, scrape it off with a plastic putty knife. Don't get it on any thing made out of plastic that you don't want to melt. Wear chemical resistant gloves and don't snort the stuff. It will also melt caulk joints.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/premium-stripper

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
I prefer kleen strip aircraft stripper in my polishing business. Never messed with sharkhide much. I apply let sit and then pressure wash off.
This actually sounds like something I dealt with the other week when someone acid washed wheels I polished and clear coated for them. Pictures would help if you have any.
jeg5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Water should be used to neutralize Aircraft Stripper after it has done its work. Leaving any of it on the aluminum without this step can cause corrosion.

So, what you're doing with the water is a good thing. Make sure all the stripper gets washed off, especially in the joints where two sheets of aluminum are riveted together.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg5263 View Post
I prefer kleen strip aircraft stripper in my polishing business. Never messed with sharkhide much. I apply let sit and then pressure wash off.
This actually sounds like something I dealt with the other week when someone acid washed wheels I polished and clear coated for them. Pictures would help if you have any.
I used the Kleen Strip Aircraft Stripper to take 4 paint jobs off of my aircraft and tested an area on the clearcoat on my '73 31' Sovereign and it worked well - but it will take off any and all sealers as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mooney Pit Stripping.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	287189  
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote