Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Question for those Mid Polish

I've been planning to polish my trailer since before I bought it and I've now assembled all my tools and supplies.

One Problem I have is that it's summer camping season right now!
I like working on my projects in the evenings and on weekends that I'm not camping and can probably get 20 to 30 hours in before our next trip.

If I start now what will the trailer look like with 20 to 30 hours of polishing done?
What have you done when working on your trailer, stop all travel while polishing or travel with a trailer that has Shiny spots?
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
I just returned from a 4400 mile trip and I have only completed the first compounding pass on my 1966 Overlander. Despite all the swirls most people commented on how shiny it was. To me it is not good at all but I want to use the trailer too. Use the rig, don't be a slave to it!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
I've been planning to polish my trailer since before I bought it and I've now assembled all my tools and supplies.

One Problem I have is that it's summer camping season right now!
I like working on my projects in the evenings and on weekends that I'm not camping and can probably get 20 to 30 hours in before our next trip.

If I start now what will the trailer look like with 20 to 30 hours of polishing done?
What have you done when working on your trailer, stop all travel while polishing or travel with a trailer that has Shiny spots?
I camp with a friend who has been polishing their trailer in stages as he has time and energy. What's going on is clear, and we're a bunch of vintage Airstream nerds overall, so no one minds. We do make fun of him because he initially said he wasn't interested in polishing it (the polishing is his wife's idea.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
There's no way I'm going to get this all done in one sitting. As long as my generator will run the polisher, I'm going to be polishing all weekend while we're camping.

If you want a Jekyll and Hyde effect, only work on one side at a time.

I think it looks really cool seeing the work in progress. It's a nice before and after without having to get out pictures.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1967 26' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofoks View Post
I just returned from a 4400 mile trip and I have only completed the first compounding pass on my 1966 Overlander. Despite all the swirls most people commented on how shiny it was. To me it is not good at all but I want to use the trailer too. Use the rig, don't be a slave to it!
I'm with Slofoks. Polish what you can when you can but, get out and enjoy your TT.
gatewaygrip is offline   Reply With Quote