Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Polishing our 34' Limited

Are there any videos out there to help us get started and polishing our masive beast? I might tackle the job next spring if i can find the time.
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Polish a 34 footer, that is quite a challange! Check out this document from VTS. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...hingAdvice.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Tin Lizzy,

What some folks here at the forum have done is to restore the satin finish on the later models without all the polishing. The plasticoat failing, or "Airstream baldness syndrome," is the usual problem.

Look at the skin on your trailer. Does it have a distinctive, and hopefully, uniform grain?

This was part of the sheen. It never had the mirror quality the vintage models can attain. That's not to say that it can't be done. You'll find examples here on the forum of folks that have done it. Getting the ultimate shine requires removing that grain. That's a whole lot of work, a whole lot of drudgery.

I used to work as an airplane mechanic, and I've spent my due time in the mechanical act of polishing unpainted aircraft. It is very labor intensive, even on the small ones.

I look at the surface grain on my '79, and I think NO WAY. I'll be satisfied if I can cure APB someday, but I'm never going to polish THIS trailer.

You need to get more feedback and think about this some more.

Good luck.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Thanks for the heads up Lamar. If polishing is out, how can we restore it to the factory finish?
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Getting the ultimate shine requires removing that grain. That's a whole lot of work, a whole lot of drudgery.
I gotta say I can personally attest to this. It's some tough sledding. I thought stripping clearcoat was going to be the biggest pain - until I hit the decals. I then thought decals would be the biggest pain - until I started cutting the mill finish. My Limited got uuuuuuu-gly for a while. But it actually looks decent now, though I'm still not to the final result yet.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If your clearcoat is in reasonable condition, meaning not peeling or completely faded out, a little lighter compounding ( white polish) will often help bring it back, then you can seal it with a shiny surface coating of your choice.
I did this and used Liquid Glass ( do a search here fo more info) to seal it on my 1982. It gave a nice shine to the plasticoat and the aluminum looked great under it.
If your is too far gone, then stripping will work, and you can polish and seal the aluminum without going for the mirror shine.
I did the bottom area of the 82, stripping the grey paint and shining it, before sealing. Check my photos on that job. It came out quite nicely.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I've found that all I need is some polish, shade/clouds, about 4-6 hours and a six pack of beer. The AS doesn't look so great, but I sure feel pretty good!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, Tin Lizzy,
Look at the skin on your trailer. Does it have a distinctive, and hopefully, uniform grain?

This was part of the sheen. It never had the mirror quality the vintage models can attain. That's not to say that it can't be done. You'll find examples here on the forum of folks that have done it. Getting the ultimate shine requires removing that grain. That's a whole lot of work, a whole lot of drudgery.

I used to work as an airplane mechanic, and I've spent my due time in the mechanical act of polishing unpainted aircraft. It is very labor intensive, even on the small ones.

I look at the surface grain on my '79, and I think NO WAY. I'll be satisfied if I can cure APB someday, but I'm never going to polish THIS trailer.
Lamar
I have a 1981 that I just started on this past weekend. Most of the panels lack any plasticoat at all, but the oxidation isn't very bad. I tried a few things using what I have to work with and a limited budget. Using a low cost compound, a high speed pad on my drill, and a low speed buffer I was able to make a difference. Then I used a wool polishing pad material I found at WalMart that really took up most of the remaining oxidation. I finished with Liquid glass, and what panels I have finished I can see myself in. I didn't realize the finish was different on older models, and didn't notice any kind of "satin" appearance to the metal. Would my 81 have the less glossy skin, or not?

I just want to make mine look decent, but I can't see putting a hundred hours or more into it. From what I have done thus far I think I'll end up with 25-30 hours in it. I am having my 2 boys help, so they'll save some time. Then I'm having the blue stipe area etched, and painted. With everything I think I'll have around then $300 in the project, painting and all.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Pacerized,

Hopefully somebody here will correct me if I'm wrong, but sometime in the past, Airstream stopped using the very shiny Alcad and went with a less expensive skin that had a grain. These were plasticoated on the outside before assembly, and that was seen as an advantage. Then they went to some pains to make sure that the colors of the panels matched up for each trailer assembled.

They didn't bother to do this for the Argosys, so they were painted.

My '79 has a very obvious pattern grain on the panels. It's very horizontal, and the panels are very nicely matched.

I don't think this trailer would look right polished.

Cleaned up, yes, and cured of ASB, yes.

Now that's just my opinion. It has a satin finish that you can still see on the sides, and I wish it all looked that way.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
According to P&S Trailer, your 79 has a shinier finish aluminum than our 71, Lamar. A/S apparently went to a different composition aluminum. P&S advised me against polishing ours, but rather just re-plasticoat it, when the time comes.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
According to P&S Trailer, your 79 has a shinier finish aluminum than our 71, Lamar. A/S apparently went to a different composition aluminum. P&S advised me against polishing ours, but rather just re-plasticoat it, when the time comes.

Frederic

Well,it looks like we have another rivit master.

Congratulations.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote