Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2003, 01:31 AM   #21
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Tim

Curious to get your opinion on SS

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:03 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
A question for qqq?

Why do you constantly question and poke at the SS?

I hope it works as it appears. I have now seen 3 photographs from different members. All have the appearance that looks like it is a legitimate product, and the members writing about it have all said good things- why cast a negative shadow?

To me- the long work of the currently accepted system is quite intimidating. I should be lucky if I can get the results in the shorter time advertised by several members, not only the one you have apparent issues against.

An open mind leads us to discoveries that we can benefit from.

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us. Thank you. Cheers. Peter.
austreampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:47 AM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Everyone take a deep breath and count to ten............

The bottom line.

Based on the threads, post, pictures, opinions both ways work.

Each owner has their own opinion on how they should polish. If a cyclo and nuvite/rolite is your choice, great. If you want to use SS and a harbor freight buffer, great.

This is an issue that will NEVER be resolved because we all have an opinion on it. I can say that I have NO opinion either way, my unit is painted. I will tell you that I do like a shiny trailer over a dull one. How it got that way does not matter to me.

There are many issues in RVing that are like this in that there will never be a "right" way. So polish it the way you want, if you want to show it off do so. But please quit insulting, takling down to, or berating members for their choices. Choices are part of the freedom we enjoy.

Everyone has an opinion even if it is wrong gentle persuasion is good, but keep it civil.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #24
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Tim

Curious to get your opinion on SS

Hart
I'd be glad to Hart. I put a request in for some. There is some question on the shipping and such so I will just wait and see when it gets here.

For now I am trying to learn the correct way to use the nuvite and cyclo I already have.

Once I use both techniques correctly, I will give my opinion.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What RPMs are you using? I was told by a hot-roddin friend here locally that the best tool is a buffer where you can set the RPMs and then the trigger speeds up to that speed but won't exceed it. I'm hoping to do a 'maintenance' polish on my trailer. I have to get a buffer yet though, and I'm wondering what RPM range will actually be needed.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 AM   #26
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Tim

You tried real hard the old fashioned way, that's why I am curious to see if you find it simpler with SS, there's no poking at the product as some say
When I will be ready to polish mine, I will start with the product less time consuming, whatever it is .

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

I just got started polishing my '68, compounding using the DeWalt 450 rpm drill and the Nuvite C with a big 3M wool bonnet. Worked great, though time-consuming because there are a lot more little nicks and dings than I had realized. I didn't find that too much pressure was necessary, but keeping the drill at the correct angle was important. Also, I see some people saying you might be using too little polish, but another possibility is that you could be using too much. Literally just a fingerprint (applied with a popsicle stick) spaced at intervals, not even a dab, worked best for me. With the low-speed drill and just a smidge of polish I bet things will go better. Good luck!
ameeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What's the correct angle? Are you using the edge more than the flat of the bonnet?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Yeah, I was keeping it at about 45 degrees. And going downward as slowly as I could stand it, then moving over a row, making sure not to let the skin get too hot.
ameeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

polishing

OK, I give up. What the heck is SS and what's all the fuss about? Is it Stainless Steel? Remember the DeLorean car? Made of stainless and my brother used to "wax" it with steel wool pads.
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:46 PM   #31
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
SS= Southern shine. It is a diffrent polishing agent from nuvite/rolite and uses diffrent tools as well.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

polishing

"Southern shine" - that's got to be a joke - the southern shine I recall would have stripped the rivets off the skin, not to mention do-da's sticker glue.
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:35 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Nuvite, w/ variable speed DeWalt polisher & a Cyclo.

Took some trial and error, but this is what I accomplished. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to oblige.
bigshinything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #34

Angling the pad...

...to 45 degrees will cause more swirling. It concentrates the action of the abrasive- whether its in the pad or paste or both. Be careful.
I like to use the flattest angle possible, and tilt up to get the tougher spots to blend.
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Oh, yes, very true about the angle (or something) causing swirl marks. I'm not concerned about that because according to my chosen shiny-trailer experts, swirl marks are to be expected at this stage and will polish out on the next step, Cyclo with F7. I won't get a chance to test that theory until Saturday.... wish me luck!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:37 AM   #36

ameeker-

The reason you want to avoid swirls is to lessen the work later to remove them, and to avoid heat. Heat will warp the aluminum- and it won't shrink back to its position before you "cooked" it.
This is one reason, why I prefer to do a light wet sanding - even with 1200 or even 1600 grit, as opposed to grinding away the surface with a machine that will heat, burn, and scratch the surface. That will NEVER happen with a wet piece of sandpaper!

The second phase of polishing with the soft wool pad, and further with the foam pad, is to remove the swirls- but these aren't strong and aggressive passes- and the more damage done initially, the more work you'll create for yourself later.

When I saw FF's TW- he had used the psychlo and Nuvite, and his skin where he'd started with that was harder to correct than the untouched side. Ask him. It made me realize that a psychlo is a bad piece of equipment to try and polish with, and Nuvite is too abrasive. He'll agree, I'm sure- it was a lot more messed up than what had never been polished.

Good luck!
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Here is just a small area I was playing with today. this of course was done by had with Nuvite.. not bad for 5 minutes of rubbing by hand..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shine.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	2958  
Old 09-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
At the airline where I work they threw out thier cyclo polishers years ago an use an air polisher with a 9" round pad and Met-All polish.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Here is a link to a site with a similar polisher.
http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...roduct_id=3604
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote