Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Cleaning Agent (Aluminum Exterior)

I have a travelling 'detail' guy that will come out and clean my whole 32 footer...for $150.00.
I asked him what compound he uses...and he gave me this "recipe"..:

50 % Simple Green
40 % Clorox Bleach
10 % pink boat soap "Algae remover"

Any thoughts on this???? Andy? Jack? Peter? Anyone?
Should Walbernizing be done INSTEAD? AFTERWARD?

Should this recipe be SCRAPPED? Is it redundant if Walbernizing is being used?

............Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I would never use Simple Green or Bleach on aluminum. The Simple Green, like Dawn, will strip any wax you have on there now and it WILL discolor aluminum. It is for degreasing.

Plus his percentages on the soup are way to strong.

Use only automotive, clearcoat safe soap (Maguires) and water. Then Walbernize. This is tried and true.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Cleaning Agent Recipe

Thank you Bobby..
I THOUGHT so...that's why I asked you guys...I knew someone would be sure enough....& I had a FEELING that's what someone would say.

It's probably a job like my shower... I'm fearing it more than I need to... Is that correct??
My 'tile/wallpaper' advisor/expert told me (about the shower) ..."JUST DO IT"..

Do you have any special instructions for using the McGuire product (like the size to work with before rinsing and drying, etc.?)...
(P.s. that's ALL my son will use on any of our vehicles.)

The "Walbernizing" ... where is the least expensive place tobuy that?
Thanx again
Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Cat,
I fly for the military and can assure you that our mechanics stay away from Simple Green and Mean Green, etc. because they are corrosive to aluminum. The military has banned there use on aircraft. On the other hand, Mean Green is the best product I have found to remove the "sticky ceiling syndrome" and Simple Green works too. Have him use Dawn detergent on the skin.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Only use Dawn if you want to remove all traces of previous wax/Walbernize jobs (and do the dishes) and are preparing to immediately follow-up with a Walbernize treatment.

I would just rather see you use a Clearcoat safe automotive wash. These have lubricants in them to minimize sratches and swirls.

To really be Airstream Politcally Correct, you could use Walbernize's "SoapMaster" or "OneStep". Both designed for Aluminum finishes.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Great point Bobby,
I was thinking grime, bug guts, and grease and trying not to damage the Plasticoat or aluminum. Dawn will cut wax products and you are right. Thanks.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:29 AM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Washing

Thanx guys,
as I said, my son recommends Mothers products, and McGuires...and he says the McGuires is good.

BTW, Bear's aluminum finish is in VERY GOOD shape, and obviously has the clearcoat in tact. He just didn't get a good wash this past spring, and a bit of algae has built up. The spring before, he was cleaned very good.

Should I do it now? or wait until spring?
Old 10-06-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use a mild solution of Armorall car wash I buy at Walmart by the gallon jug. Fairly inexpensive, and my 20 yr old plasticoat looks great. I then wax with liquid non-abrasive car wax, goes on easy and has maintained my shine well. I have used Meguir's and Turtle wax liquids. Happy with both.
You wilol be surprised at how a little wax will shine up that bullet.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:14 PM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
SHINE

<smile>

can't wait...it's like most other projects on these guys (the A/Ss)...we shouldn't sweat it... JUST DO IT! ...
Old 10-07-2002, 08:33 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
I use a mild solution of Armorall car wash I buy at Walmart by the gallon jug. Fairly inexpensive, and my 20 yr old plasticoat looks great.
Cat, I also use the Armorall car wash, no petroleum additives and no amonia additives, both no-no's. It seems pretty kind to the Walbernize. I'm going to Walbernize the Safari once I get back from next week's trip to Branson and prior to going into winter storage at month end. It's nice to start off spring with a shiney slick trailer.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:10 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Beckley , West Virginia
Greetings everyone...this is my first attempt to communicate on this forum so please bear with me. I have just purchased a '69 Land Yacht which appears to be in original condition. Well, that's what the seller told me but I have found several stretches in his stories so this is suspect too. My question concerns the exterior aluminum skin. It appears that someone has used silver spray paint in several areas and I would like to know how to remove it. It also has some hail damage showing on the top and I was wondering if one of these "paintless repair" products might work.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
citrus strip would remove it , also mineral spirits would probably do the same although maybe more caustic. What you find underneath may be interesting, but if you get it off and see good metal, you can start the polish process right there. Hail damage is tough, the dent wizrd guys might be able to help,though I don't know how they would do on aluminum. That area could be filled and painted silver, but if you hate the silver paint idea the next step is redoing th panel that is dented. If you look at Inland RV's site there are painted trailers on there to view. They look good.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #13
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
But, don't you have to paint them all over...like a total paint job on a car?

I saw one all creme coloured...it looked fantastic!!! and I saw one all RED...& it looked fantastic!!!
Maybe the person who was painted hers BROWN & creme with black marks to look like slices (loaf of bread?)...
It's all too cutesy for me...but then, whatever floats your Airstream, eh?

Re: The Hail...I read once to use a hair dryer to warm the dent...then use an icecube---and it apparently creates a vacuum which POPS it back out. Sounds too easy to me. ANYONE KNOW IF THIS WORKS?

........I'm gone to post my Curtain Tracks FOR SALE in the Forum of Items For Sale...Finally started understanding my digi camera a little..
......see ya yang.
............Cat
Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Send a message via Yahoo to jgbyler
I was just reading this post because my new (1971 Silverstream) is now in my possession and I notice these tiny white spots all over the aluminum. It has been sitting for 10 years but I don't think the exterior has ever been cleaned other than with water. Could you give me a recommendation on how to remove the white spots/oxidation? and get the aluminum in clean looking condition? I also have a strip of gold on the trailer about 5" wide around the centerline... Thank you...
jgbyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That is a great cleaning solution for fiberglass, I use a similar concoction on boats, but I would never use it on Aluminum. Way too corrosive.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
2 years ago I cleaned the interior panels with a bleach mix called 'Patio Furniture Cleaner'. It did a great job on the plastic fabric laminate aluminum on tthe interior of my '66. When I cleaned that material that lines the inside of the door the door was open. I sprayed that cleaner on and cleaned that up beautifully. BUT When I closed the door I discovered that the overspray landed on the outside aluminum side. 2 years later I am still polishing out the spots.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbyler View Post
I was just reading this post because my new (1971 Silverstream) is now in my possession and I notice these tiny white spots all over the aluminum. It has been sitting for 10 years but I don't think the exterior has ever been cleaned other than with water. Could you give me a recommendation on how to remove the white spots/oxidation? and get the aluminum in clean looking condition? I also have a strip of gold on the trailer about 5" wide around the centerline... Thank you...
Streamline is the trailer brand.

The exterior skin is not like an Airstream except that both are aluminum. The alloy and thickness are different, and the skin has been anodized (a hardening process) to avoid typical aluminum discoloration, etc.

Search in Vintage Kin on how to clean anodized (and what to avoid).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I'm trying to find something that will take the sticky residue off of the front of my 1990 Excella. Previous owners had their numbers, stars, WB circular decal on the aluminum, and although I got them off, I can't get anything to take off the residue.

Tried soap, then Truck Box Polish, then same with a PC polisher, then mineral spirits, then goo gone and nothing cuts it. Acetone probably would but that is one of my final most drastic choices. Should I go ahead and use paint stripper and take off the remains of the clear coat, would that do it? I don't want to use anything that will pit or damage the aluminum.

+dcasr
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr
I'm trying to find something that will take the sticky residue off of the front of my 1990 Excella. Previous owners had their numbers, stars, WB circular decal on the aluminum, and although I got them off, I can't get anything to take off the residue.

Tried soap, then Truck Box Polish, then same with a PC polisher, then mineral spirits, then goo gone and nothing cuts it. Acetone probably would but that is one of my final most drastic choices. Should I go ahead and use paint stripper and take off the remains of the clear coat, would that do it? I don't want to use anything that will pit or damage the aluminum.

+dcasr
Try a heat gun
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've seen recommendations of using MEK as a last resort (for your FYI Box, not as first or even second choice).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote