Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It's tough to do but I walked away from a 73 Soverign yesterday. It was the same condition as that Bambi. I wouldn't have let my chickens roost in this thing - but deep down there was something nagging at me that it would have been a neat project because it was a rear twin/center bath model. The holes in the floor were big enough to throw a cat through!
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
If I can't get Harold on board with this AS. I'll tell you where it's at and YOU can have a restore me project. Hows that sound?
I admit, I'm curious. But you might need to find me a divorce lawyer along with the Bambi....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The holes in the floor were big enough to throw a cat through!
Please be kind to cats....even if they do walk on your car and truck. I have never caught one on my Airstream.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Annette, get it if you can afford it. Maybe it won't work out, but you'll never find a door unless you get serious.

"Whatever you can do, or dream, you can begin. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." (Goethe)

Begin now. You will be surprised at the skills you develop and the things you learn.

Zep
Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
OK. One more time. It is a 1964 Globetrotter. It has been rotting away in the woods for the last 15 years. Most of the windows and a sky light are broken and as mentioned before, dirty stinkin' thieves RIPPED OFF the door leaving torn and bent hinges. They also stole one of the side heater exhaust vents and tore apart the interior looking for and taking something else.
The frame is partly on the ground and the axle is sub grade and probably seized.
So if you can swing a deal for $500.00 and invest 15K in materials and 25K in your or others labor, you can end up with a great restored but not original GLOBETROTTER valued around 20K to 35K.

Not exactly a great investment but a good way to spend your spare time and money over the next, say, three years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	77739  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
OK, I admit it, I have walked away a few times...but I've hooked up and towed away more times.

Zep
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
All of you guys and gals are making sense. But for my own curiosity I'm going to go back and take some pictures and see if I can find out who owns it.

Harold still says no way. But he can talk me into anything so maybe I can talk him into this. But we both have to want to work on this as a project or it's a no go.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown View Post
Wow, I can certainly identify with Harold. We had a Bambi (because "it's so cute") and have two Bulldogs (because "they're so funny"). We don't have the Chevy...does a '65 Mini count?

You have two bully dogs? We would love to have another one but Lucy doesn't like other dogs very well. She is a rescue and for the first 16 months of her life spend about 20 hours a day in a crate. So she was never socialized with other dogs, But we sure have tried and so have 2 trainer but no sucess, so we will have to be content with just one, and Yes she is so funny she keeps us laughing every day too!

P.S. 65 Minis are cool too!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am confused—is Safari62 writing about the same trailer? He lives in Maine and the trailer is in Connecticut. I know New England states are small, but they're not that small.

If it is the same trailer, it sounds like a total disaster and maybe could be parted out.

"Please be kind to cats....even if they do walk on your car and truck." Our cat has scratched the hood on my truck. I guess he slid down the windshield and put his claws out as he continued down the hood. He is devoted to my wife, doesn't much like men though he's been unmanned. I treat him well, but he just doesn't like men. Maybe he blames me for that, though I had nothing to do with it. He and I both fear the vet. Small rodents, bunnies and any bird that falls to the ground fear him. He fears coyotes, bobcats and feral cats. Life is tough out there. Every time I see those scratch marks I have dark thoughts about him.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Did someone say "Chevelle"? And tied to the words "out for a cruise". Oh man, this is sounding good already.

Barry
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I am confused—is Safari62 writing about the same trailer? He lives in Maine and the trailer is in Connecticut. I know New England states are small, but they're not that small.

If it is the same trailer, it sounds like a total disaster and maybe could be parted out.

"Please be kind to cats....even if they do walk on your car and truck." Our cat has scratched the hood on my truck. I guess he slid down the windshield and put his claws out as he continued down the hood. He is devoted to my wife, doesn't much like men though he's been unmanned. I treat him well, but he just doesn't like men. Maybe he blames me for that, though I had nothing to do with it. He and I both fear the vet. Small rodents, bunnies and any bird that falls to the ground fear him. He fears coyotes, bobcats and feral cats. Life is tough out there. Every time I see those scratch marks I have dark thoughts about him.

Gene

No, Gene It's two different trailers., Safari62 has the globetrotter up in his neck of the woods and he I believe is pointing out that he has restrain himself from adopting it and He thinks I probably should do the same.

Annette
Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Did someone say "Chevelle"? And tied to the words "out for a cruise". Oh man, this is sounding good already.

Barry
What if I told you that it was a red convertible with a 396 and a 4 speed? Does that sound even better?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
No No Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Yes Gene, it is a small world when it comes to Spotting that forgotten Airstream in the woods.
This forlorn Globetrotter is in fact in the Nutmeg state. I would (and could) place a bet just down the road and also catch a show. Hint hint.

Not a gambling type or a "Mystic" but I will bet this is the same GT want to be Bambi.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
What if I told you that it was a red convertible with a 396 and a 4 speed? Does that sound even better?
Mine is two years newer and not a convertible but otherwise sound like the same cars. I live on the wet coast so a convertible here is not practical - so we sold our converts and are into hardtops now, but do miss having a topless car when the sun is out. I'm not ready to drive mine yet, I have a few weeks worth of work to complete the restoration. I am not sure Donna is going to want to tow the Flying Cloud with it though.

Barry
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Yes Gene, it is a small world when it comes to Spotting that forgotten Airstream in the woods.
This forlorn Globetrotter is in fact in the Nutmeg state. I would (and could) place a bet just down the road and also catch a show. Hint hint.

Not a gambling type or a "Mystic" but I will bet this is the same GT want to be Bambi.
Barry,
Well for Petes sake why didn't you just tell me it was the same AS? Here I am thinking maybe just maybe it's restorable. I even had the curtain all hung.. We're always up for a challenge, BUT we do know when to walk away. I've not been as close to it as you obviously have. But it looks pretty bad close up. We're not the gambling type either but we do know when to" hold'em" and when to "fold'em " So this ones a big NO WAY.

Barry did you see the Argosy just down the road a piece?

Annette

P.S. Here in New England down the road a piece can mean 1/2 mile or 25 milles depending on who's giving you the directions.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
So if you can swing a deal for $500.00 and invest 15K in materials and 25K in your or others labor, you can end up with a great restored but not original GLOBETROTTER valued around 20K to 35K.
Or I could have bought Melody Ranch's beautiful 65 Globetrotter in the classifieds for $12,500 (I've seen it) and avoid 3 years of swearing and trips to Lowes....

Meanwhile, I spotted an Argosy with a rear wrap window on the back edge of a lot nearby. When the leaves grow back on the trees, temptation goes away for another 7 months.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #37
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have a nice Argy looking for a new home. Tom can vouch for it even.

I have to fight the urge to stop and see every Airstream or Spartan I drive by. Ther is one Sparatn very large in North Branford just off Rt 17 north of rt22 that I really need to go see.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Barry,
Well for Petes sake why didn't you just tell me it was the same AS? Here I am thinking maybe just maybe it's restorable. I even had the curtain all hung.. We're always up for a challenge, BUT we do know when to walk away. I've not been as close to it as you obviously have. But it looks pretty bad close up. We're not the gambling type either but we do know when to" hold'em" and when to "fold'em " So this ones a big NO WAY.

Annette

P.S. Here in New England down the road a piece can mean 1/2 mile or 25 milles depending on who's giving you the directions.
Annette

Nope, not me (Safari57 - named for my TV, not my trailer)who knows of which trailer is which. I'm WAY out West on the wet coast so about the only thing I remember about your beautiful State is from 45 years ago during a family tour during one long and fun summer. It is Safari62 (is that his age?) who is the source of information on the trailer in question.

I'm the Chevelle guy, and oh yeah, 57 Pontiac Safari Wagon (nomad style) tow vehicle. I looked for a very long time for a '57 Safari Airstream but never found the one that fit our needs. But if Safari62's comments means this has saved you time and money then I'll gladly take the credit for it. I'm sure he won't notice.

Barry
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Treatment for Aluminitus

The treatment for this condition is to buy just such a trailer, at an overly inflated price.

Then you let it sit there for about a year in it's totally useless condition, knowing that everything that needs to be done easily costs 3 times what you paid for it, which was way too much. Know that you'll never be able to sell it at a fraction of what you've already got in it, and your spouse is just waiting for that day so that they can get in a good "It was stupid to buy that" jab.

Make sure you park it where you can see it laughing at you every day.

But then again, there's always some sucker out there with Aluminitus.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Barry,

Annette

I thought I was telling you about the same trailer and even included a photo. When everyone is blinded by Bambieitus ( more serious than even Aluminitus) it can be difficult to get people to pay attention. And it's really not as much fun as leaving a few clues first.
Besides.... who would dare trasspass to look at an old trailer! The sad lesson for me was we spotted it BEFORE the dirty rotten low life thieves ripped off the door.and other parts. After some time we checked it out again and the damage was done.

So that fact is no matter how little one pays for a trailer up front, that will catch up to you in the end.$$$

There are several nice Globetrotters for sale in NE at a fraction of what it would cost to save this poor trailer. But the more comfortable GT always suffers the second sister syndrome pitted against the petite but less spacious Bambi.

Of course I noticed the Argosy! Look like another project some is going to get around to...

And stop pickin' on poor Barry! No, that's not my age, Barry.....but I would not mind if it was my birth year.