Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit against Airstream for continuing to use a material with well documented durability issues. The sub-floor will get wet, so why continue to use OSB (or even plywood for that matter)?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Surrey , British Columbia
Like I said, great if you can keep it dry..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 874.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	137859  
silverhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I agree, it is hard to believe that after all the effort that goes into hand building these trailers, all the attention to details, all the nice components, that AS would use OSB or anything less than the finest, marine grade plywood available for the floor. The ONLY weak link in the chain. Just think how much time & money & grief could have been saved the last 80 years by just having a better floor.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
BTW, our 93 was actually built in 92, definately has OSB. The factory Bruce hardwoods in the galley I presume are glued down. They are 5/8" thick & sometimes when it is really hot we can hear the adheasive on the bottom side have a sticky sort of sound when we walk over them. They are beautiful.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
93 Excella has OSB

My 1993 29' Excella 1000 has OSB thourghout the trailer. Trust me I know, it was rotten at both ends. You can see for yourself here...... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...ses-73362.html
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
I agree, it is hard to believe that after all the effort that goes into hand building these trailers, all the attention to details, all the nice components, that AS would use OSB or anything less than the finest, marine grade plywood available for the floor. The ONLY weak link in the chain. Just think how much time & money & grief could have been saved the last 80 years by just having a better floor.

Agree 100%!

Having a wooden floor almost convinced me not to buy our present Airstream (bought used). We did however and generally we are very happy with it. I have tried to make a real point of staying on top of the caulking - checking it as best I can pretty much every time we use the trailer.

I have given some consideration now that we have given one a try to upgrade to a new Airstream - but I would absolutely not be prepared to invest that kind of $$ unless / until AS provide a modern composite flooring system or similar that is impervious to water damage.

It would be very interesting to know Airstream's philosophy in this regard

With the number of complaints, it has to be obviously something to which they have given serious consideration and have made a decision not to move in that direction although some other companies have. Could it be just a cost issue or are there other factors at play?

I believe at one time AS did try some sort of aluminum sandwich floor in Argosies. Were there problems with that?

Even if so, there must be many other options open to them these days with advances in technology.

I'm sure this point was raised at the time we were all asked to provide comments on the forum for AS management.

There may have been some specific response from AS, but if so, i don't recall what it was. Anyone else?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I believe at one time AS did try some sort of aluminum sandwich floor in Argosies. Were there problems with that?
I have that design. There were problems - the design is two sheets of aluminum with Styrofoam inbetween. Heavy traffic causes a depression to form down the middle.

This was exaggerated by the Minuet only having frame cross-members every four feet, instead of the typical two foot spacing. My floor stiffened up a lot by adding in some crossmembers.

Many Minuet owners also put a floating floor atop the subfloor to add more rigidity and protection. I have Marmoleum Click in my trailer.

With all of the various leaks that pop up, I'm very happy to have this floor. It makes me really hesitant to spend $40k or so on a more-modern used AS and move to wood. I'd be tempted to pay for a restored vintage trailer with Nyloboard or some other composite plywood equivalent.

Bob Wheeler addressed this question on an episode of the Vintage Airstream Podcast. Apparently the current plywood is one grade short of marine-grade. He also claims that a composite floor is too much money.

This sounds of corporate-profit-talk, given that there are several modern SOBs that sell for a fraction of an AS's cost that have wood-free floors. I really kind of think that AS prefers to limit innovation to flashy things and interior finishes that cost little but allow them to charge more...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So far, so good! Thanks to you all! Still looking, BTW

All right, now we are up to:

OSB floors in years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2003, and some 2005 models

Three Classics, 1 2004 model and 2 2005 models definitely had plywood, while a 2005 Safari has OSB

So to put it the other way:

Between the years of 1985 and 2005, I am only missing confirmation that 1989, 1991 1994-2000 and some(?) 2004s were using OSB.

I am surprised to hear that some 2005 models has OSB while other had plywood! Was it an option, by any chance?

I am doing this in an effort to see if there was any rhyme or reason in what AS did with this important component of their trailers. When this has run for a while longer, I will put the information into a table format, to make it easier to check what yours might have.

Thanks very much to you who have given me your information so far, much appreciated.

If you haven't posted and you know you have OSB, I'd sure like your data.

Also, if you have a plywood floor and I have that in the list above as being an OSB year, I'd like to know that, too.

cheers,

Aage
Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might want to graph yearly plywood prices. hurricanes among other things play havoc with prices and availability.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ricky, I agree 100%, those issues could impact purchasing decisions.

But so far, we are considering a 20-year period during which time it appears that the majority of AS TTs went out the door with OSB in the floors.

I can't imagine that ply prices would be influenced for that long on a regular basis by the factors you mention. Real ply is always more than OSB, but it's for good reason.

With what information I've gathered so far, it looks like for over 40 years, AS used real ply. If I took a poll and asked everybody what the reason for changing could have been, do any of us doubt what the answer would be?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #31
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
My 1999 Safari has plywood. Odd as it is the cheapest model line.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Osb

We have a 2005 22' CCD and it definitely has OSB. Leaks were discovered during warranty and fixed. We now keep a sharp eye out for potential problems and have made modifications to make routine inspection around the perimeter possible.

It is my understanding that all 22' CCDs were manufactured with OSB, and at least at that time one of the Bambi's (16 or 19'?) was as well. I would have preferred a more stable flooring, but on the other hand it is a great floor-plan for a small trailer.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
our 1997 34' Excella has plywood
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #35
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
My 2004 28' Safari slide-out has plywood. For the price of an AS, all should have marine (treated) plywood flooring. Off topic, but what does all the letters in the name/model mean?
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
FWIW, I've had some success repairing spots in my OSB flooring in my '92 damaged by water leaks using epoxy and fiberglass. I first saturate the punky wood out to solid material using a penetrating 50/50 mix of Xylene and epoxy (I use Progressive Epoxy basic) to stabilize the punk. After it's cured, I lay up layers on the topside of woven fiberglass and full strength epoxy to re-add the strength lost by the punky wood. The xylene fumes are heavy inside until it's all evaporated and they take some time to disappear.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
2007 Classic = plywood, if you're starting a database. Another reason they charge more for Classics????
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
1991 25' Excella Classic and we have OSB flooring. However, we are very fortunate as that we have no leaks and peeking under the carpet have not discovered that it has ever had any leaks. After reading the posts, I had to go out and look to make sure what it was. Since it was a classic, hoping that it had plywood.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by david686 View Post
Off topic, but what does all the letters in the name/model mean?
Do you mean...?

CCD = Award-winning architect and designer Christopher C. Deam brings together an ideal balance of form and function within the streamlined design. This trailer is designed for aesthetic pleasure with polished aluminum interiors to visually echo the reflective exterior. The aluminum sheen bounces daylight and lamplight all through the interior, opening up the trailer to as much light as possible, and keeping the feeling spacious and clean. Intuitive floor plans and spatial design do away with any sense of clutter without sacrificing charm. Modern color options and fabric choices complement the high contrast aluminum and laminate elements.

SE = special edition=upgrade included the interior aluminum skin, International-style windows with wrap around, panoramic front window and Vista View windows, brushed aluminum blinds, and Decor Lighting.

LS = upgrade options package including as many of the Classic components that could be added to the models of other trim lines, usually Safari, I think. It included the spare tire, Fantastic Fan, No-Fuss Black Tank Rinsing System, Aquajet Water Pump, Cast Aluminum Taillights, Electric Hitch Jack, 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner with Heat Pump, "LS" Exterior Graphics, Screen Door Guard, "One Touch" Galley Faucet with Separate Sprayer, Jackets (2) and Caps (2).

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Not seeing 2000 will add MH LY 2000 has OSB.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote