Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I would treat the subfloor with polyester or epoxy resin. Epoxy is more expensive, but more controllable when mixing. I had a runabout with rear seats on either side of the engine that had rotted out from getting wet. I took them apart, used the wood for patterns, cut new wood and saturated the pieces with polyester resin before re-attaching the upholstery. Years later they were still as strong as new. Either resin will provide a barrier to moisture getting into the wood, but as I said, epoxy is more controllable. You can buy cans of resin and catalyst at a marine supply place. West Systems makes pretty good stuff and has a pump kit that you screw onto the cans. The pumps automatically meter out the right amount - 5 pumps of resin takes 5 pumps of catalyst. Mix it up, brush it on. Make sure you get the wood saturated well. You will have to keep the trailer warm until it is fully cured.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I would treat the subfloor with polyester or epoxy resin. Epoxy is more expensive, but more controllable when mixing. Al
Rather than epoxy resin, you could use epoxy paint. A lot easier to apply and it does the same purpose. Epoxy paint is used on boats under the water line.
However if your floor is showing signs of rot then the resin might be a better choice. You could thin the first coat to get some penetration. Epoxy will cure above 55 degrees
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
epoxy paint is a good idea...there is no rot at all,only water stains....just found a 8 by 10 piece of INFINITY luxury woven Vinyl for $ 180 on E bay,need to cover 5 by 10...its easy to install ,(i made a template) and easy to pick up,other various leaks are almost inevitable...roof,ac,fan,vents..awning rail..etc...for now, the floor is drying slowly...thanks for all the good ideas.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Look up the thread rotten floor due to water leak. My sad story starts at post 245 (I think). The trick is to drop the pan and remove the reflectix insulation under the floor to let it dry. I used epoxy to firm the floor up. My AS is a 2007 27FB. Lots of other case studies in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Long Sad Story (and many others) with good repair step by steps.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ml#post1262866Here's the link to the rotten floor due to water leak thread:
Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
yesterday i found more water seepage near the door,we had a dusting of snow melting fast...the roof of the a.s.is covered...so, after reading your post and seeing the photos i realize that i may have that exact same problem,its most probably where the leak comes from...i will tape it over for now and see if it makes a difference,no matter what ,i have to wait for spring and warmer weather to work on it...meanwhile i keep trying to dry up the floor with hair blower, heat lamp,small heater etc...thank you for the info..M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Good luck on your mission! The work wasn't particularly hard but it took a month to complete with the drying stages. I was fortunate that my storage area is also a campground and they let me use a powered campsite to set up in for the work which helped with the dehumidification etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad