Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
atlanta , Georgia
Tips on Buying

Im looking at buying a 1971 27' Overlander Double from a relative. This trailer has all original equipment and looks to be quite well maintained. I have not tried to turn anything on as of yet. I did get inside. It is very clean and no musty smell. Apparently it has very little road time and basically has sat parked around the same lake for the last thirty years.

The sink in the back is the kind that wraps all around the back. The square toilet faces the tub. Most of the tambour is intact some is a little cracked but all of the pieces are there.

What should i be concerned with? The price is very low (a family price) and I am not afraid of working on it, rather like the idea actually. I just want to know what to expect. How should I go about inspecting it so I can be sure of what I am getting (or reasonably sure).

Note: There seems to have been some water standing on the bath sink ledge. This obviously has me worried.

My intention is to tow this out West with my kids and do the grand sweep of the west coast and national parks.

Any help is appreciated!
kid_atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would either have someone knowledgable take a look at it or use the check list provide here to give it a good go over.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I would suggest a good close look at the running gear. At the age of this unit and since it has been stationary for so long you might even consider replacing the axels complete with brakes, bearings etc. That is if the budget allows. It would give you a lot of peace of mind since you are looking to travel with it.

Chief's advice on an inspection is right on. Floors and floor rot especially.

Good luck. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Manage your expectations. Just imagine if you left an automobile sitting out in the elements for 40 years. Even if you dropped a new engine in it, it isn't going to be safe to tour the country.

Use the checklist mentioned above, but you can expect that the axles will need to be replaced, almost by default. Tires should be replaced before you even move it. The floor is likely to have rotten spots in it, expecially in the rear. There may be rear-end separation, but you may be spared this as it doesn't sound like it has moved much. Even if the rear end isn't separated, if the floor is rotted out back there, you might create the separation if the rotten floor goes unaddressed.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Leaks will need to be sealed. Plan on cleaning around every window and door and seal with TremPro (used to be called Vulkem).

Foam in cushions deteriorates and may need replacing. This can be surprisingly costly, as can having cushions recovered if you don't sew yourself. If you do sew, newtoto.com has great deals on discontinued upholstery fabrics.

If you're getting it for a reasonable price, you are fairly handy in a variety of fields (plumbing, electrical, wood) and you can comfortably manage several thousand dollars worth of expenses to bring it up to date, you've got yourself a sweet deal there.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

1971 27' Overlander
atlanta , Georgia
thanks

Any recommendations on finding an inspector? The trailer is in Evansville, Indiana. The local RV place wants $600 to do a PDI inspection and I have to bring it there. I was hoping to find a knowledgeable person willing to do an onsite inspection.

Thanks again for all your responses
kid_atl is offline   Reply With Quote