Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Thanks in Advance and You're Invited

Folks, I've only been a member here a week and I've already had questions answered, and help given and, well, just wanted to say thanks a lot.

I know that I am very far from being the first person to adopt an old AS and try to rehab her, but I am the first person I know who has done this, and I think that is true for my family and friends, as well. So my wife and I are blogging the adventure as so many others have done.

If you're interested, you can see how we handle what I'm going to call a "half-monty" restoration. Half-monty because I'm not going shell-off, I'm only replacing a few sections of the floor, and I'm not even going to try to stick to completely stock/original components. We're going to use what we have that works, and replace what needs replaced with what works. This is neither an historically accurate restoration, nor a completely modern renovation. It's half of each, and thus a "half-monty."

If you care to, you'll see it here: AirDreaming | The greatest WordPress.com site in all the land!
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
What's not to love about an Airstream story?!?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Jamespio,
I'm very excited for you and your project. Just this evening, I was sitting in my soon to be 3 year full monte, reminiscing about when I first pulled her into the driveway. I am finally going to take her on the road this spring. You can't take too many pictures and most of all, make it yours. Have fun!
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Surfpod, I have no doubt we will "make it ours." But my wife asked today when she could start picking colors and fabrics and I just had to laugh, and said "There's no floor in the bathroom. There's not even a bathroom in the bathroom, and you want to start picking colors?"

Oh well, I'm having a blast even with the getting dirty parts, so it's all good. The only tought thing right now is waiting for parts and supplies to arrive. I check my front porch for packages three times a day now.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
AirDreaming can take you in both directions, from nightmare to the ecstacy of the maiden voyage. Keep at, just as you did when you moved into your house and one day that fence will come down again and you will be heading out for the open road.

As you may know from browsing around, there is a wealth of information on the airforums site, as well as a lot of folks ready to jump in with answers, or at least point you to an existing thread that will help you get back on track.

Best of luck, and keep AirDreaming updated with your progress.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote