Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Glenwood Springs , Colorado
Texas Hail Damage

My wife and I encountered a severe hail storm in Kerrville Texas in May of this year. It resulted in essentially $20,000 to $35,000 worth of damage to our 2016 Classic. We are planning to tow it to Jackson Center this October for repairs. We have about 10 warranty items we'd like to address also.
We really haven't had great success at Lazydays, Tuscon with our warranty issues, having made 4 trips from Colorado to have issues fixed. I knew when I left Lazydays in May that I would never be going back. My question for forum members is - what can I expect at Jackson Center. How do they treat thier customers? All we want is to get our Classic repaired and to be able to get on with our lives. Thanks! We would certainly appreciate your responses.
By the way Progressive who insured the damage has been excellent to deal with.
schoochie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
So sorry to hear about your experience at Lazy Days Tucson. I have had nothing but an awesome experience with them. Both in purchasing and with warranty work. I can't chime in on Jackson Center but do look forward to going there one day and also look forward to reading about your experience there as well. It's so sad that you had all the damage from hail and I will hold good thoughts for successful repairs and to hopefully meet you on down the road sometime.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
So sorry for the hail damage. Kerrville is a nice part of central TX, but I guess it will always be tainted for you guys. We too had excellent service at Lazy Days Tucson, but a very minor issue with the recalled regulator. They got us in immediately and fixed on our trip to Palm Springs in February. Good luck in Jackson Center at some point, but not enough on our punch list to warrant the trip ... yet. Curious what the other 10 items are on your list. Ours had the rear cabinet door above twin bed fall off during towing, continued battery issues holding a charge, shades in back over bed misaligned, bad light over one of the twin beds, ... really minor things. I do want to secure that mirror in the bathroom. Keep running into reports of that falling and breaking. We love the Classic ... and it's going to move to Florida for awhile!
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hail is every Airstreamers worst nightmare. I am sure there are great dealers out there that can do body work, but IMHO, Jackson Center is the place to have any major work such as this done. A forums member here many moons ago, smacked her Classic up really good. IIRC, ran up against a guard rail, and the guard rail won. I heard that Airstream called in some retired folks and these guys went to town on it. There was virtually no way to tell the trailer had ever been in an accident....they have all the tools on-site, all the alum panels, rivets, sealant all in house....plus the talent. If they can't fix it, the trailer simply cannot be fixed....but they are not inexpensive.

Also keep in mind, that you prob won't be able to stay in the trailer if it's being fixed if you planned to incorporate it into a trip at drop off time, so if you were to drop it off in the fall, you could pick it up in the spring, but the work they would prob be doing to it would most likely keep it out of service for a couple of weeks at best I would imagine.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
What a terrible way to remember the Texas Hill Country. Such a nice place to see and visit. We hit that area of Texas all the time.

I know you are insured and all but my wife and I are renovating a '65 Overlander that must have been caught up in one of the same type in it's 51 year life span. The dents have had that many years to cure.

Not to worry though. Applied some heat from a propane torch for about 5-6 seconds or until they started "talking to me" and then my wife put an ice cold rag on them and POP. Out they came. Well about 80% of them on the first pass and most on the second pass. Ones with creases will hardly ever come out and will have to be rolled from the inside with just a touch of heat.

You have to be very diligent with the heat on cladded aluminum. Too much either you will wipe your cladding off or it will run off.

Cannot wait to get this lady fixed up and head to the Hill country. First stop, Shriener Park in Kerrville.
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I've been servicing at JC since 2011, when I bought my AS. Mine is an older unit and they've done some upgrades for me. As far as I'm concerned, JC does excellent work and they do it in a timely manner.

schoochie, you need to make an appointment at JC. Arrive there the day before and park in the terraport. Be at the service desk at 7:00 am the next day - your AS will be towed into the service bay by 8:00 am and work will start forthwith. Depending on the work they have to do and its timing, at the end of the day they may be able to tow it back out to the terraport for you to stay in overnight.

As for Lazydays in Tucson, my experience with them was unsatisfactory.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote