Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Sacramento , California
Surge Protector

A friend with a 2015 Airstream Safari was informed that he should install a Surge Protector in between the outside power/30AMP, inside his airstream to protect his Inverter. We have a 1973 Airstream Safari, and my wife has concerns that we should do the same. Any ideas or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
kaminski73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Lots of opinions on this. Personally, we have one - it's a Progressive Industries external 30A unit (connects at the power pole then you plug in your cord as usual to your trailer). You can go much cheaper and get a tester for the power pole and that's helpful to see if it's wired correctly before you plug in. But I liked knowing this unit would be testing constantly and shuts down if there's a problem - for example, we were at a park during a hot July and the campground's power kept dipping too low so the unit shuts down the shore power before any damage can occur to the AC or any sensitive electronics. Some say it's overkill. I look at it like cheap insurance. You don't need it until you need it 😃

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Park City , Utah
UGGGGGGGG. Well I bought one as well. I think It's overkill but my Airstream is my prized possession. I bought a progressive industry 30amp external . I cant say enough good things about the company a had a problem with mine "user error I didn't wait long enough for the device to go through it's warm up/check" I called the 24 hour hotline at 9 pm for help and got a call back within a 30 min. I was hand held by a gentleman on how to plug it in and chill out for 2 min without unplugging it. Progressive industries has a customer for life.
peetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Best upgrade to my trailer yet.

I had a Surge Guard 50 installed at the dealer. I have since been to two campgrounds that had too low Power. Then in FL last month, we stayed on a friends lot which had power he set up. It was obvious he wasn't an electrician ....

Right off the bat we had reverse polarity, and he wasn't sure if he wired 110 or 220...

Needless to say, I am glad to have it. I am always sure to be protected in all of the places I go.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

YES....ours.

“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t.”

Bob
Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We have one and to me it is one of those items that you don't need until you need it. I plug ours in every where we camp to include when I have the AS hooked up to the house electric
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I replaced the old Trace inverter/charger with a new Xantrex FS3012 inverter/charger the Xantrex dealer told me that if it was damaged due to a surge and I had not used a surge-protector the warranty was invalid. I always use an external surge protector.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quickly learning some subtle differences between our new Classic and our old DP MH. The MH did have better electronic protection and inverter/charger. Have Progressive Industries 50A inbound before our trip in a week. Heading west for 6w. Can't wait ... and will have piece of mind when I plug in!
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't think they help enough to be worth the money, weight, and hassle. I don't use one. I've written extensively on this before, a search will turn up more a more detailed reply with reasons why, the nature of the power problems that are out there, and an engineering perspective on the whole thing.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I hardwired a 30a Surge Guard to protect just my air conditioner. I would only put a surge arrester on a piece of equipment that has a replacement cost higher than the surger arrester.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have owned Airstreams since the late 70's and like Jammer above have never used a serge protector, and never seen the need for one. Also never have had any damage to any of my electrical equipment.

My opinion of course, but I think they are a solution looking for a problem to solve.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That's what I thought too. Until I burned up the AC at a mom & pop RV park in Forsyth MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
That's what I thought too. Until I burned up the AC at a mom & pop RV park in Forsyth MT.
I am not trying to argue, or dispute the fact that your AC unit went out, but unfortunately there is no way to prove (one way or the other) that a surge protector would have prevented it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I am not trying to argue, or dispute the fact that your AC unit went out, but unfortunately there is no way to prove (one way or the other) that a surge protector would have prevented it.
Well I guess we could agree on that. Unless I was running two identical units side by side, one with and one without a surge protector, from the same side of the power distribution panel. Even that would not be "proof".

On the other hand, my new AC has worked fine since I put the surge arrestor on. But nowhere did I claim that that is definitive proof that it provides 100% protection. I just inferred that I had evaluated the risks and decided it was a worthwhile investment. For me.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
In cases like that, it's usually low voltage that is the problem. Basic surge protection devices often do not monitor for that condition. You need the more advanced models, or an inexpensive plug-in volt meter that you keep an eye on when the power is suspect.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
True that. A low voltage cut-off will save a lot of trouble more times than a surge protector. I know our original A/C died from low voltage over a long period. Built-in management system including low voltage and surge is the next new improvement, after the new tankless hot water, the ProPride, and a better 3-stage converter that we installed already.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Keeping Surge Protector Plugged In?

We have an external Progressive Industries surge protector but it doesn't want to say plugged in at the pole. Curious, how do folks handle this? It seems to heavy to stay plugged in. Thanks!
streamingairheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I carry a small block of wood and an adjustable bungee cord. If the Progressive seems to want to fall out, put the block on the back of the plug and bungee it. This seems to be a problem only on older pedestals where the plug is somewhat worn.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote