Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
tucson , Arizona
structural deflection how much is within tolerance

when i support my 64 globe trotter from front to back to remove wheels and hubs i notice a lot of downward deflection in the frame..i know that some deflection in the vertical axis is normal. i have set lasers and measured 3.75 inches of sag in the frame at the axle center line...

this trailer has a lot of miles on it i have had it for twenty years and travel cross country twice a year with it...

being a engineer i'm thinking about designing a box tubing truss that will span front to back just under the belly pan...with at least 4" of adjustment (tension) in the horizontal axis to help minimize the deflection...

does anyone know of a source for structural drawings for a 64 globe trotter..
i would be willing to redraw in auto-cad mechanical so i can run structural simulations...

thanks

mark miceli mfa
tucson az
64globetrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
First of all the only place you can jack up an AS is under the axle mounting plates!!! The structure is a "Super-Structure" which basically means the shell is holding the frame up....kinda. There is most likely nothing wrong with your frame or at least there wasn't. Hit the search feature on here and begin the research for the "Monocoque" construction.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote