Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Rayos-X

Currently Looking...
Culver City , California
'Squarestream Glue'

Absent the usual rivets, my 1988 Argosy has it's skin bonded to the frame with some sort of epoxy? None of that stuff lasts forever, does anyone have an idea how long before it starts to shed it's skin?
P.Stehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums.

The bond will last almost forever if you can keep it dry. Water will destroy it over a winter.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Welcome to the Air Forums.

The bond will last almost forever if you can keep it dry. Water will destroy it over a winter.

Dave
So... it's fine as long as you don't leave your trailer outdoors?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Rayos-X

Currently Looking...
Culver City , California
Well, it's moving from PA to AZ in a few weeks, it had one or two leaks over the years, but as far as I know, that's under control. As it stands, the skin seems to be in nearly perfect condition, and I hope it stays that way when it hits 114 degrees next July. I assume the "water... over a winter" issue lies with trapped water freezing and pushing the panels away from the frame?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Stehle View Post
Well, it's moving from PA to AZ in a few weeks, it had one or two leaks over the years, but as far as I know, that's under control. As it stands, the skin seems to be in nearly perfect condition, and I hope it stays that way when it hits 114 degrees next July. I assume the "water... over a winter" issue lies with trapped water freezing and pushing the panels away from the frame?
I think when it hits 114 you're supposed to be camping up around Flagstaff somewhere to avoid it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Stehle View Post
Absent the usual rivets, my 1988 Argosy has it's skin bonded to the frame with some sort of epoxy? None of that stuff lasts forever, does anyone have an idea how long before it starts to shed it's skin?
Actually most of it does last forever. The famous GMC motorhomes of the '73 to 78 era had plastic lower panels bonded to the AL frame and there are virtually no reports of failure of the bonding adhesive, even today.

What does fail on sandwich wall materials, made of exterior and interior layers with some foam or interior structure is the interior adhesive. It was never meant to experience water, but does very often in RV applications. There are lots and lots of cases of de lamination of those systems. I don't know what the Argosy walls of that era used, or how well they held up.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Rayos-X

Currently Looking...
Culver City , California
Yeah, I have a few areas of interior paneling that's not especially tight, but nothing like a typical 1988 SOB interior is usually like. When I was shopping for a real AS, I encountered several in which the entire surface of the interior paneling was sticky, but mine just has a bit of mold here and there from being closed up. I just regard it as "ambience"...