Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bummer!

Is that a scratch down in the lower right of the photo?

The big scratches in the middle don't seem to affect the rivets which means whatever it was was strong enough to scratch the body but flexible enough to bounce over the rivets. It has several things hitting the body to cause the parallel scratches, but they aren't consistent which is more like a:

Tree Branch?

But a branch wouldn't seem to cause such a large dent unless it was in the hand of a person. Whatever it was had to push inward as well as along the trailer.

While it is hard to believe you wouldn't have seen this at an earlier time, sometimes we just don't see things right away. Where else have you been?

Gene

Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell
ouch! I'm sorry to see that... That really looks like something with a little more mass than an adult on a bike? To keep scraping over 4 rivets... Any chance you had lawn gardeners around that morning before you went out?
I know, that's why we're a bit mystified - no lawn mowers, and on the curb side...but it had to be something on the sidewalk side...that could appear between when I parked it at 6 pm and when I looked out the window at 8:30 am. *sigh* The only other thing we can come up with is a neighbor who's mad it's parked on the street, or some kid who thinks vandalism is fun...

Id rather believe the accident theory, TBH...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Time for a big AIRFORUMS sticker
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Here, deductibles are often $500 now, and you'll pay it back to your insurance company in a few years, given he hike you will get in your insurance.
Yeah, it's $500. Not sure how to get an estimate...a great excuse to go to Alumapalooza...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Who needs excuses to go to Alumapalooza?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Zlee...

A dent is just a dent, but the filiform is still corrosion, what are the plans there?

JC may be able to install the belt molding at the same time.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
While it is hard to believe you wouldn't have seen this at an earlier time, sometimes we just don't see things right away. Where else have you been?
That's what has us mystified: nowhere! I know 100% it wasn't there when we were backing out of the driveway at the Bambino's new home, because we had to check both corners twice to make sure it would clear the trees on both sides of the driveway--I'd have assumed we would have dented when we actually brushed against the tree on the left streetside, which is when we stopped to check. There's nothing TO hit on the way home without driving the trailer off the road and up onto a sidewalk or two, and I am pretty darn certain i would have noticed if I'd done that. And I'm 99% certain it wasn't there when i parked it, because I'm so new I'm still doing everything by the book and did a touch-it walkaround when I parked it--the 1% uncertainty is because it was dusk when I parked it and unhitched and it MAY be that I missed it (but didn't miss something mysterious on the way home).

I don't suppose it really matters. It's done!

Quote:
Me, because I'll have just been on a trip to the West Coast in April!

Quote:
A dent is just a dent, but the filiform is still corrosion, what are the plans there?...JC may be able to install the belt molding at the same time.
Yes, don't think I didn't think of it, Bob! Although I don't really want to give the Bambino's svelte figure a belt. Brad and I discussed it a bit while we stayed with him, I may give the Dremel-by-hand and Corrosion X a try first.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
BTW, Oh Wise Ones, do I need to worry that this may have unsealed the seam?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Hmmm. A lawyer friend of mine who does accident reconstructions says:

Quote:
Is there any paint transfer? I can't tell. It clearly drug across the rivets, left to right. As the rivets were compressed, the aluminum above the rivets was pressed away from the contact point. That's why the clean spot above each rivet. The contact was harder to the left, less on the right, as evidenced by the size of the clean spots, and the chattering effect in the abrasion area above the rivets to the right.
I'm even more mystified now, because the front of the trailer is to the right, not the left. I guess that may give more weight to the vandalism or bike theories.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
And you can "swing by" the 10th Annual Moraine View AirForums Rally at Moraine View State Park in Le Roy, IL (just up the road from Bloomington/Normal) after Alumapalooza! The Moraine View Rally is the second weekend in June -- it's not on the AirForums Rally Calendar quite yet.

So sorry about the horrid ding/dent/scratch!

Nancy
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
zlee,

Was/is that a scratch lower right, starting at the low rt corner of the shadow there before?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
zlee,

Was/is that a scratch lower right, starting at the low rt corner of the shadow there before?

Bob
Yes. I'll try and post some more pics later, I'm not where the trailer is at the moment, so people can see the whole gory thing...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Did you have the high winds yesterday that we're experiencing here in Illinois today? My neighbor's car had similar damage from another neighbor's flying trampoline. If you had high winds it could have been something blowing into it.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
Did you have the high winds yesterday that we're experiencing here in Illinois today? My neighbor's car had similar damage from another neighbor's flying trampoline. If you had high winds it could have been something blowing into it.
You know what? I think we did -- I suppose that could have been it! Although it's on the curb side facing east, and the wind was from the west. Still.