Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
While it is hard to believe you wouldn't have seen this at an earlier time, sometimes we just don't see things right away. Where else have you been?
That's what has us mystified: nowhere! I know 100% it wasn't there when we were backing out of the driveway at the Bambino's new home, because we had to check both corners twice to make sure it would clear the trees on both sides of the driveway--I'd have assumed we would have dented when we actually brushed against the tree on the left streetside, which is when we stopped to check. There's nothing TO hit on the way home without driving the trailer off the road and up onto a sidewalk or two, and I am pretty darn certain i would have noticed if I'd done that. And I'm 99% certain it wasn't there when i parked it, because I'm so new I'm still doing everything by the book and did a touch-it walkaround when I parked it--the 1% uncertainty is because it was dusk when I parked it and unhitched and it MAY be that I missed it (but didn't miss something mysterious on the way home).

I don't suppose it really matters. It's done!

Quote:
Who needs excuses to go to Alumapalooza?
Me, because I'll have just been on a trip to the West Coast in April!

Quote:
A dent is just a dent, but the filiform is still corrosion, what are the plans there?...JC may be able to install the belt molding at the same time.
Yes, don't think I didn't think of it, Bob! Although I don't really want to give the Bambino's svelte figure a belt. Brad and I discussed it a bit while we stayed with him, I may give the Dremel-by-hand and Corrosion X a try first.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
BTW, Oh Wise Ones, do I need to worry that this may have unsealed the seam?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Hmmm. A lawyer friend of mine who does accident reconstructions says:

Quote:
Is there any paint transfer? I can't tell. It clearly drug across the rivets, left to right. As the rivets were compressed, the aluminum above the rivets was pressed away from the contact point. That's why the clean spot above each rivet. The contact was harder to the left, less on the right, as evidenced by the size of the clean spots, and the chattering effect in the abrasion area above the rivets to the right.
I'm even more mystified now, because the front of the trailer is to the right, not the left. I guess that may give more weight to the vandalism or bike theories.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Who needs excuses to go to Alumapalooza?
And you can "swing by" the 10th Annual Moraine View AirForums Rally at Moraine View State Park in Le Roy, IL (just up the road from Bloomington/Normal) after Alumapalooza! The Moraine View Rally is the second weekend in June -- it's not on the AirForums Rally Calendar quite yet.

So sorry about the horrid ding/dent/scratch!

Nancy
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
zlee,

Was/is that a scratch lower right, starting at the low rt corner of the shadow there before?

Bob
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
zlee,

Was/is that a scratch lower right, starting at the low rt corner of the shadow there before?

Bob
Yes. I'll try and post some more pics later, I'm not where the trailer is at the moment, so people can see the whole gory thing...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Did you have the high winds yesterday that we're experiencing here in Illinois today? My neighbor's car had similar damage from another neighbor's flying trampoline. If you had high winds it could have been something blowing into it.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
Did you have the high winds yesterday that we're experiencing here in Illinois today? My neighbor's car had similar damage from another neighbor's flying trampoline. If you had high winds it could have been something blowing into it.
You know what? I think we did -- I suppose that could have been it! Although it's on the curb side facing east, and the wind was from the west. Still.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Get out the CorrosionX and hit the scratch and any other filiform as soon as you can. My experience is that will stop/slow the corrosion. Spray it on, let it soak into the filiform (it should turn from white to gray color), and wipe it off. Treat it again from time to time.

After that trip home in snow it may be a good idea to spray the underside with CorrosionX or Boeshield as well as a preventive measure against roadway salt damage.

I don't think I would lose any sleep over that scratch. If you use the trailer, they will happen. If you keep the trailer clean it will look so good no one will notice. I recently saw an Airstream that had tiny decal notes by the scratches, identifying the bridge or tree and its location. Kind of a well-traveled trailer's brag map.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I recently saw an Airstream that had tiny decal notes by the scratches, identifying the bridge or tree and its location. Kind of a well-traveled trailer's brag map.

It's the dent that worries me -- plus whether the dent actually opened the seam a bit...

I'll definitely try the Corrosion X - I was waiting til I was settled somewhere for a bit!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wonder if that belt line seam is sealed. I can remember thinking about that on our 2007 Safari, so I slipped a piece of paper up into the seam and it felt open, no sealant.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Yes, and if it was sealed, it may be unsealed now.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #33

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm sorry Zlee! It's hard to have your new baby damage but it looks more like an accident versus a act of vandalism. Keep us posted on the repair and if the Mothership is too far try OKC, they did a great job on mine.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Z, what a bummer!!! My first booboo was caused by me. It was nighttime, raining and the step was out on the Sport. I had a ton of stuff in my arms so I ran like crazy to the door and BOOM!!!! The step hit me square in the shins and down I went!!!! But not before trying to grab the door handle to stop my fall and scratching the door all the way across with my keys (that were unfortunately) in my hands! I tell ya, I was so bummed!

Well, I hope the seal stayed intact and all you have to do is X it. Take care.
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When the trailer was pretty new, we went to a CG in Santa Fe and arrived when it was dark. The spaces were amongst piñon trees and poorly lit. I had trouble even finding the space. The next morning there was a scratch all along one side at the belt line. Piñon trees have hard branches. Later we had the beltline trim put on at JC and it hid most of the scratch.

But I have scratched other places when a tool slipped. It is very easy to do. And the dealer put a 6" crease in one side—not too visible and I didn't see it right away.

The skin is very vulnerable and there's a whole world waiting to scratch it and dent it.

It always feels bad. The first one is the worst one.

I hope you get this worked out and it will feel better sometime in the future. It is a drag waiting for that future.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry to see this, Z... We feel your pain...

It happens, unfortunately, and though I hate finding any sort of thing wrong, I try my best not to spend too much energy on it. Once it's done, it's done... But it is a learning process to get over it.

We have a very slight, small dimple in one spot on our Bambi's exterior and I have no idea how it got there...it's the kind of thing might have been caused by a bird flying into it or maybe someone stumbling and catching themselves with their hand perhaps. I see it every time I pass by, but I am sure no on else notices it much...

I hated it when we began getting little dings on the "scarificial rock guards"... especially after finding ourselves on 15 or so miles of freshly oiled and graveled pavement in heavy rain in NM...We tried to go slowly to minimize it, but no one else wanted to go slowly, and they were throwing stones at us when they passed, so we just drove and hoped for the best. I call them "honest dings" because they got there in the process of making fine use of the Bambi... AND those guards can be replaced when they get worse. (I think I'm going to ask Greg to make a black vinyl "bra" like you use on the fronts of cars to go on the rock guards when they get to a point where they really bother me. That could be cool.)

Anyway, hope yo can get past it, do what you can to minimize it and keep enjoying yourself. (And do take care of that corrosion.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Love the trailer, live with the scratch, let it go. Go camping.

The next one will be easier to get over........ Yes, there will be a next one.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Know how you feel...

A few years ago....on the way to a Casini Rally....I got too close to the pipe barriers in a gas station. Left a 9' gouge along the street side. I was sick . My insurance and a great Airstream service shop took care of the 4' x 14' panel replacement. All it cost us was the 10 hour round trip for the repair. I will be taken care of.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
A few years ago....on the way to a Casini Rally....I got too close to the pipe barriers in a gas station. Left a 9' gouge along the street side. I was sick . My insurance and a great Airstream service shop took care of the 4' x 14' panel replacement. All it cost us was the 10 hour round trip for the repair. I will be taken care of.
Neil
.......and I have NEVER returned to that gas station!

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic