Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Anchorage , Alaska
Resetting breakaway trailer brake

I accidentally tripped my Bargman 12V breakaway trailer brakes (cable caught on my ball hitch as I drove from the trailer). I've read online that simply placing the plastic "key" back in the slot on the breakaway box will disengage the brakes. Can someone please confirm that for me, or provide a correct procedure for ensuring the brakes are off (other than driving to see if they heat up!). Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer brake.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	268346  
AKBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Yes, putting it back in should turn the brakes off. Some electric brakes make a buzzing noise that you can hear. You can also use a compass and get it near the wheel center and seeing if it moves. There are electromagnets in there doing the work. Leaving them engaged for more than a few minutes will likely burn up the magnets unfortunately.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Removing the plastic key turns the brakes on. Replacing the plastic key turns the brakes off. If you've left ge key out for a long time, with power to the system, you might have a problem.
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote