Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Your cushions are gorgeous! The fabric looks like Pendleton wool. Who did the work, etc. Very very nice. K
AKristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Hey guys,

I checked out he pricing for AS to convert my 25 FB to a single recliner and still retaining the port side couch and then the fellow who did Lucky ducks conversion. AS was beyond the contents of my wallet and the guy who did Russ's conversion never did get back to me despite several e-mails to him. I am sure that both these options would have provided excellent results. Instead, I decided to purchase a used flip top table from an 05 classic and alter it to fit my 25 FB. Total price for the conversion, including the UPS delivery of the table from the seller was less than $250. See Attached.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final table set up (2).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	211568   Click image for larger version

Name:	final table set up (3).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	211569  

Attached Images

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKristine View Post
Your cushions are gorgeous! The fabric looks like Pendleton wool. Who did the work, etc. Very very nice. K
Hi - were you addressing that to me? If so - I'm afraid that's just low quality photo resolution :-)

That's the original fabric that came with our Flying Cloud. The recliner is leather and from Villa International.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looks great Ron!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Smile 2011 Flying Cloud FB conversion

We replaced the left side dinette seat in our 2011 Flying Cloud FB with a Lazy-Boy recliner. We recovered the remaining seat cushions with a Sunbrella type fabric in a stripe. We used the stripe on the backs and the seats to give a more unified look. We cut down the table top in lieu of purchasing a custom cabinet. We drew with a pencil on the top of the table exactly where we wanted the table cut down. A local cabinet maker cut it for us and applied white formica that matched the top well. He charged less than $100. We still had plenty of room on the table top. Unfortunately, just after we finished the redecoration, our daughter's family moved to the West Coast with our only two grand children so we've spent our travel time going back and forth. We aren't using our Airstream at all and have consigned it with our dealer, Out of Doors Mart, in Colfax, NC. It's a perfect set up. We loved it! I've attached some photos in the hopes it will help someone else. We retained the booth seating though in case someone every wanted to reinstall it. Isn't that the way it is, you get it perfect and then you can't use it!
Linda Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Photos of our 2011 Flying Cloud 27 FB conversion

For some reason my photos didn't attach. I'm trying again.
Linda Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
carver 1 (Ron) and SteveSueMac - nice jobs on your conversions! Your two conversions are the alternatives to what I did and cost a lot less. FWIW, my alteration involved Roettger Hardwoods (see my earlier post in this thread) and although the result was excellent, it can be frustrating dealing with them. Dennis (the owner of Roettger Hardwoods) doesn't respond to emails very well but you can get him on his cell phone. It may be that with the increased production of Airstreams, he isn't as interested in the little custom jobs like ours. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Here are a couple pix of the recent conversion I did on our 30' Excella. This is the third one that I've done so far. The recliners are from Lambright, in Topeka, IN., they are extremely comfortable, and very well built.
The new cabinets behind them, and the street and curb side storage compartments were also rebuilt, and covered in Ultra Leather...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2125.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	211825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2127.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	211826  

Name:	DSCN2130.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	211827  
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This looks (really) well done Larry!

You might want to begin to do these as a side venture... With the interest in these conversion threads one can see that there is lots of people considering making the conversion.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Thanks Doug! I would do these on a limited basis. I usually start with replacing carpet with either laminate or vinyl flooring. I have a fairly complete woodworking shop, it's usually about a 50 hour (+ -). This is the first one that I've used Ultra Leather instead of matching the interior wood with the rest of the cabinets.
Just my opinion, but I think the Ultra Leather just matches the recliners very well. This time I also redid the dinette with the same material...
Larry
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Larry, that is beautiful, outstanding work. Thanks for posting these pics. The ultra leather does look good. And when used with the nicer trailers with a lot of wood already--just sets everything off and looking classy.
Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Thank you, sir. I'm looking forward to another one this winter. I'd like to find a really good Avion to rework.
Their 34' are rather hard to find.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Question for dkottum regarding recliners

Hi - we love your recliner conversion and our planning on doing something similar with our 2005 Airstream Safari twin bed unit. We like the look of the Villa euro recliners, our only concerns are that they are not wall huggers and that they are not available in a true leather or UltraLeather, only in 'bonded' leather. Have you had any problems in these two areas? Are the recliners comfortable with firm cushions, is the fabric holding up well, and have you had any problems with regards to the lack of a wall hugger feature? Do you move your recliners to eat at the dining table, or do you use other stools or chairs at the table? Thanks much for your input and experience.
AStreamJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamJake View Post
Hi - we love your recliner conversion and our planning on doing something similar with our 2005 Airstream Safari twin bed unit. We like the look of the Villa euro recliners, our only concerns are that they are not wall huggers and that they are not available in a true leather or UltraLeather, only in 'bonded' leather. Have you had any problems in these two areas? Are the recliners comfortable with firm cushions, is the fabric holding up well, and have you had any problems with regards to the lack of a wall hugger feature? Do you move your recliners to eat at the dining table, or do you use other stools or chairs at the table? Thanks much for your input and experience.
The Villa Lift recliners are the same ones used in the 30' Flying Cloud, so they probably also have opinions on this recliner.

We have used them for 7 months every day use in our Airstream. We have Ekornes recliners at home, these recliners are a bit better for comfort and have the leg rest built in rather than taking up floor space. I think the standard fabric is leather seat and back surfaces with synthetic for the remainder. Wears excellent, stay clean, and the cushioning remains firm. The Villa-Lift recliners are large in scale, others may be out of scale (too small) for the space and too low for the pano windows. They may appear to stick out in the passage to the entrance door, but in actual use they do not.

A series of vinyl shoes under the base allows the recliner to be moved easily, but they stay in place when towing. Only one needs to be moved to use the folding table for dining. I think the "wall hugger" idea is a sales pitch for the most part, there is no issue moving these around as needed, which is not that often.

The small console between the recliners looks really good, and functions well for coffee, drinks, snacks or lunches. This summer I made a 24" wide x 32" long pine table top (radius front edges) which we can clamp the back side to the console top, and the flip-up console top supports the front. We stow it alongside the recliner. We easily put this table top in place for meals, then simply swivel the recliners to face each other. Easier than pulling up the folding table, and she really likes the folding table for hobbies and writing, not removing them for meals. You may want to consider a fold-up table between the recliners rather than to the side, but we still prefer our present arrangement.

There is another possible arrangement where we have the storage cabinet next to the folding table. This could be a single seat with cushions for eating, working at the folding table.

We have not regretted any feature of this conversion, it makes the Airstream so much more comfortable for long-term use. Piles of space-robbing foam cushions came out of the living space. It does make our Airstream a "trailer-for-two" model which in reality it is anyway. We can "make do" for the occasional grandchild visit and have dinner guests at the picnic table, which we did anyway.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Recliner Conversion at Jackson Center

Doug,
Your conversion looks great. The wife has now seen the vision after looking at your pictures. We too have the 2012 FC with rear bedroom and since it is such a new trailer my wife was hesitant to make any modifications. She loves what you have done and wants to proceed with the change in 2015 when we have a trip planned to Wyoming. We would be close to Jackson Center as we make our way out there.

I have a few questions: How much lead time did it take to get the appointment and make all the arrangements with Jackson Center? Also I may have missed it in the post, but how long were you at Jackson Center? I know that you "deconstructed" prior to heading to JC. Exactly what all did you remove and was there difficulty with any part of that? How long did that take and was it a problem not having the seating prior to arrival? Did you "screw-down" the recliners you purchased or wait for the tech to place them and did they move on the trip if you did not secure them? You left everything that you removed at home?

We seem to be following in the same paths. We had a 2007 20ft. Flying Cloud which we traded for a 2012 25ft. Flying Cloud Rear Bedroom. Now were are ready to make the conversion to recliners.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It really helps those of us who needed to see how everything would work.

Tom
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tom, I think the backlog at Airstream Service Center is about two months. You should call or email them and start lining things up a few months ahead. Any factory cabinets they have to order well ahead from the production side of the factory whose first priority is building new. The recliners we ordered from Villa International ourselves about $750 each and there is some minor assembly.

Using a power screwdriver it took about an hour to remove everything we didn't need. Very easy. Then stored them here at home (still here, like new, I'd like to sell them). We put the recliners in place and proceeded to Ohio. Did not fasten them down and still don't, they barely move if at all while towing maybe 7,000 miles, MN to VA, TX, CA, ID and back since last fall.

We removed the table, all bench seating assemblies, and piles and piles of cushions. Jackson Center moved the converter forward some and built a custom cabinet over it, which can be removed easily. They built a small box over the solar controller, transfer switch, and battery disconnect relay in the front left corner (with the recliners in it is out of the way). The moved a wire bundle that runs inside your storage compartment under an aluminum channel to the side and put a new aluminum channel over it. No rewiring needed anywhere, except they run a short wire inside the wall to the receptacle on the right side of the center console, while keeping the original receptacle inside the console. They installed the folding table and center console from the 30' FC recliner model.

We had some minor warranty items done while there, a pressure leak test, 27 point inspection, bike rack installed so about 2 1/2 days there. One excellent and helpful technician, Jon, did all the conversion alone, maybe 1 1/2 days. Ask for him. They quoted $4200 for everything including recliners, table, console, custom cabinetry and labor. With recliners I think it came to pretty close to that. A bargain for the long-term comfort we have.

No regrets whatsoever, we love the way it looks and functions. As noted in an above post I made a simple removable table top over the center console for meals, or if I want to do some work there. She loves the lift-up side table for hobbies, and the ability to fold it out and extend it when she really gets going. It's an ideal trailer-for-two, great retirement traveler.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Recliner Conversion

Doug -

Thanks for your detailed reply to my previous post.

We've completely torn out our previous living room - including that terrible cushioned sofa - and are in the process of removing all the carpet from our trailer including under beds and pantry, etc. Quite a job, and entirely preventable had Airstream not cut corners by laying carpet prior to building cabinetry.

We also had envisioned a setup very similar to yours, but it is very helpful to see a vision so close to ours that has actually been completed and has been field tested. Obviously, from the number of posts herein, you've hit on a good thing that has generated a lot of interest.

Helpful to know that you like the Villa recliners. Lafer makes a similar recliner, but it's four times the price of the Villa chair. I think I'll go with the Villa since you've had a good experience with it. Heck, we could replace it an additional three times if it wears out, and still come out ahead over the price of the Lafer.

If you get a chance, we'd like to see a picture of the setup you use to span your two tables. Sounds like an interesting concept.

I believe I saw in a previous post that you had had your Airstream leak-tested while you were in JC doing the conversion. What was the cost of the leak test? In your opinion, is it a good test (likely to find small leaks) and worth the cost?

We agree with you - happy to get rid of all those cushions. We'll gladly give up a little storage for the sake of comfort. We're retired fulltimers, and also don't mind giving up the sleeping space. When asked by friends and relatives how many our Safari slept, we used to answer 'only two!' anyway. Now we'll be telling the truth!

Thanks again for all your help.

Stephan
AStreamJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting progress there Stephan - you don't happen to have photos of your progress do you?
TKS
Doug
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
[QUOTE=AStreamJake;1492307]Doug -

If you get a chance, we'd like to see a picture of the setup you use to span your two tables. Sounds like an interesting concept.

I believe I saw in a previous post that you had had your Airstream leak-tested while you were in JC doing the conversion. What was the cost of the leak test? In your opinion, is it a good test (likely to find small leaks) and worth the cost?"

I did not span the tables, just made a larger pine table top (24" x 32") from stock material at Home Depot to sit directly over the small center console table top, and butted right up against the front aluminum wall. It's more/less a prototype to try on our next long trip this fall. Will be set in place at mealtime, maybe for other tasks. We'll see how it goes before I give it a thumbs up, but it looks like a good setup for us. An alternative is a lift-up table between the recliners about 24" wide x 32" long (length cannot be longer than the height of the table top from the floor).

The leak test pressurizes the interior with a big fan at the front roof vent, then they soak it down with a special soap and look for bubbles. I think they have a standard price for this based on 3 or 4 hours at $110/hr. Call and they can give you a current price. Not cheap but we were near the end of our warranty and wanted any leaks found and fixed before it expired. They found and fixed four minor leaks which I had already found with my Sonin Moisture Test meter, so I've gained some confidence in the meter.

I think the leak test was worth it because it gave a us assurance of a leak-free Airstream for now (these things bounce around in heavy travel and can develop leaks as you go along) and the opportunity to fix any under warranty.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
DKOTTUM. Doug, I would like to see the total finished work you did also. I know we talker about what you were doing and you sent some photos, but I didn't know you installed the little center table/cabinet in between the two chairs. Would also like to see a shot of the counter top you built that extends that table between the chairs.

I'm reclined here in the New Mexico mountains in our 30 with the chairs right now, leaning back watching the wife sweep the floor and making coffee for the morning. Shame on me. But I'm sure comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote