Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Doug - that looks so great!!! DW and I are seriously thinking of something similar for our 27FB. Of course, the orientation is the reverse of yours and we don't want to lose the couch that has the slide out top to convert to a bed, but looks like we'd have to I we wanted that side fold out table. I wonder if they can't do a thinner version I that the would come off the back wall between the 2 recliners - in the location of the original table only thinner. I'm going to call the factory. Who did you talk with?

Just looks amazing!!! Congrats!!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve', we leave Jackson Center in the morning or I would ask for you. There are two Airstream facilities here, the factory and the Service Center. The Service Center does the conversions, repairs, maintenance. Chris Burch coordinates the work and will answer your phone or email inquiries.

We went through the loss of pull-out bed and storage questions too, tried only one recliner on the side, and I made a simple thinner, shorter table top using the hardware from the original table in the original position. It just didn't look or feel well-designed, so we decided our real need was two recliners and a folding table, and a storage compartment.

We removed the lounge and dinette entirely, and came to Jackson Center to get a factory production appearance with all Airstream components. There are lots of possibilities, but in a nearly new trailer I think it's wise to maintain a factory look. A design that tries to do everything often doesn't do anything well. Maybe that's the problem with the original dinette/lounge configuration.

It looks like the problem with the rear dinette models will be the furnace location. It restricts movement of the recliner on that side, and is located where the folding table would go. The Service Center here can do anything, move the furnace forward if needed. It's on an hourly basis ($115) plus materials but you get your money's worth, and they waste no time. Every needed component is at hand. They've done it all, many various recliner conversions.

It may be good to first decide how you will use your Airstream, and then do what you need to get it done.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for sharing your design ideas and the result. Wow, that sure looks very comfortable and functional. Very well done. I always thought two recliners are better than one fold out couch, but the wife likes her couch. Like you said, it all depends on how you use your Airstream. Some folks have children and need the sleeping space. We did for a few years long ago. But now I like to sit, read, and maybe nap. My single recliner is much more comfortable for my retired lifestyle.

My new to me 66 Trade Wind has a fold out table on the curb side. It extends about to the center of the front gaucho. There is no dinette. My 86 has a huge fold out table in front of the couch. But it has a dinette too. Fold out tables make more sense to me than the dinette.

Very well done,

David
Old 10-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Doug,

Your modifications look great - the trailer looks like it came from the factory that way, which was your goal. You'll be much more comfortable too.

There have been a couple of comments regarding the recliner possibilities on a front bedroom floor plan. Click on this link to see what we did a couple of years ago -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ble-86598.html

We wanted to keep the couch for extra sleeping accommodations, my wife prefers relaxing (watching TV) on the sofa versus a recliner, and no electrical work was required. A search for "recliners" on the AirForums will show what others have done.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Doug - no need to check for me (appreciate the kind offer though). I will give them a call. DW and I are thinking maybe our first trip in early 14 will be to the mothership for a mod of this nature!

Looks so perfect! Congrats and thanks for the inspiration!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #34
On the road again...

2008 25' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
We just finished getting our AS ready for a summer long tour of the Canadian Maritimes and all points of interest between home in New Mexico and Nova Scotia. We've named her Estelle. The original Estelle sits with her daughter Stella and watches over us. They are pink...

We removed the curbside bench to accommodate the lounger. Taking out the table was an improvement in comfort. A small collapsible table takes care of our needs. We store it Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399683746.274430.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	211534Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399683759.974300.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	211535beside the bed.

I'm blogging the trip at StreamingWithEstelle.blogspot.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399683374.612845.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	211533
sekibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
For those of you who had Jackson Center do your modifications...did you just show up at your appointment with a sketch of what you wanted, and they built it? Or, was the design done ahead of time with the folks there? Just curious, in case we want them to build a cabinet for us.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
For those of you who had Jackson Center do your modifications...did you just show up at your appointment with a sketch of what you wanted, and they built it? Or, was the design done ahead of time with the folks there? Just curious, in case we want them to build a cabinet for us.
In our case, I spent months emailing Chris Burch (service manager) about our goals. All along he felt confident we could either install a table from the manufacturing floor, install one from a third party, custom build one on the spot, or cut down the original. We chose the last option and love it.

Name:	image-1540171712.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	211537

You can see the Villa International recliner on the left and the cut down table (looks like a grand piano :-) ). We absolutely love it.

Dkottum was the inspiration and he offered some help offline. Then then rest was working with Chris Burch and ultimately Jim (aka "Junior") at the service center to dial it in.

We couldn't be happier!

PM me if I can be of any help!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #37
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We have friends with a boat and any work at all always costs at least one boat unit, which is $1,000.00 So, maybe $7,000.00 is the "Airstream Unit".

BTW, we have the 27FB with the rear dinette / long couch and we're keeping it. We find it comfortable and we like having the extra seating if / when guests come by for a visit on a rainy afternoon. We just saved an Airstream Unit!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks SteveSueMac. I've talked to Chris, and he said something like, "We'll take a look at it when you get here." So I just wasn't really sure what to make of that! He was very nice, I was just surprised that they didn't require doing drawings for it ahead of time!

We're trying to figure out some cheap DIY options, but if we can't, then I'll just have faith in those guys. Your trailer looks awesome!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Weirdstuff - they have master craftsmen there. In 20 minutes I was able to describe my goals and Jim got it and made it happen. He also added a cleat to the recliner like they put on the 30' double recliner versions - he dry fit it a few times before cutting anything and ended up moving the subwoofer to make it all work.

I was very pleased with their talent.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Weirdstuff - they have master craftsmen there. In 20 minutes I was able to describe my goals and Jim got it and made it happen. He also added a cleat to the recliner like they put on the 30' double recliner versions - he dry fit it a few times before cutting anything and ended up moving the subwoofer to make it all work.

I was very pleased with their talent.
That is impressive! Good to know too, in case we can't get the cheap version figured out on our own.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Your cushions are gorgeous! The fabric looks like Pendleton wool. Who did the work, etc. Very very nice. K
Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Hey guys,

I checked out he pricing for AS to convert my 25 FB to a single recliner and still retaining the port side couch and then the fellow who did Lucky ducks conversion. AS was beyond the contents of my wallet and the guy who did Russ's conversion never did get back to me despite several e-mails to him. I am sure that both these options would have provided excellent results. Instead, I decided to purchase a used flip top table from an 05 classic and alter it to fit my 25 FB. Total price for the conversion, including the UPS delivery of the table from the seller was less than $250. See Attached.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	final table set up (2).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	211568   Click image for larger version

Name:	final table set up (3).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	211569  

Attached Images