Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Deerfield Beach , Florida
Rear Leak '65 Overlander

I have been trying to locate and correct a leak in the rear section of my 65 Overlander for a while now. Although it is significantly less, it still persists. I have been able to stop the upper leaks by resealing around the tail lights and the upper seams where the marker lights are and by adding weather stripping on the inside of the cargo door. I am down to a slight seeping problem right in the center on the floor where the C Channel meets the floor. When I run a hose over the trim band above the bumper it leaks there so I covered the band with silver tape for now which has brought it down to the slight seep I still have. Do I need to have the trim band above the bumper removed and resealed or could it be coming from the rivit holes securing the band to the body of the trailer? I did reseal where the bumper meets the body of the trailer. Again, much improved but still a headache. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm tryng to prevent floor rot. Thanks, Dom
dominicjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I wouldn't take the banana wrap off to seal, just make a "small" bead where they meet on the top side. I leave the bottom unsealed so water can escape. Parbond is what I use for this, with blue tape to keep it about 1/16" wide.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I suspect there is a hole behind the belt you do not see. If it were me I would remove the belt and re install it with trempro 626 behind it. Of course this creates more holes in the skin to seal up.
You could also try some redneck ingenuity and turn your fan to blow in and pressurize the inside then use soapy water to find the leak.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Rear Leak

Thanks Frank, I will give that a try. We just had another strong band of rain here in Maine and I see a little seapage coming from above the rear cargo door frame (from behind inside wall). I am wondering if it could be the license plate bracket also. It is far less than it was but still a concern until corrected. I am from bath towels to one small dish towel in a heavy rain. Making progress but definitely frustrating. Thanks again, Dom
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
STILL working on locating and correcting the leak in the rear of this trailer! Frustration to say the least. It is no longer coming from above the rear compartment door since I sealed around the vent pipes and added caps. I still seem to have a leak where the C Channel meets the floor. It has improved significantly but I still have a small section that is problematic. At least it is down to a small hand towel from bath towels. Off to a local dealership on Monday to resolve a few issues, maybe they will have a clue about this.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
there is a empty rivet hole behind the belt line. Bet ya a buck or a bottle of Moxie. Your choice.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
No To Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
there is a empty rivet hole behind the belt line. Bet ya a buck or a bottle of Moxie. Your choice.

Frank having spent time in Maine. I'd rather have a lobster roll. I'm not a fan of Moxie Dom I'm with Frank I would reseal the belt line.

Name:   Moxie.jpeg
Views: 448
Size:  16.1 KB

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would remove the belt and install it again properly. I know you had some work done and I bet ya a rivet was left out.
I like Moxie.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Information Appreciated

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your input. I think you have suggested soemthing that needs to be looked at. I sure hope I don't have to get the belt line removed, resealed and put back on. I will keep you posted. Not a gambling man but a six pack of Moxie for the help sure sounds fair. A lobster roll wouldn't fair very well in transit, . Thanks again, Dom
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
it is actually easy Dominic. What you will need are some copper cleckos(1/8"), some closed end 1/8"x 3/8" rivets, a tube of trempro 626(or one of the lesser types of sealant used) and a roll of blue tape.
Use the tape to create a good edge between the skin and where the belt goes. Drill it off with a 1/8" bit. Apply a thick bead to the back side of the belt. Put it back on with the cleckos then rivet into place.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Rear Leak Update

Thanks Frank, I would have to have someone with your skills tackle belly band removal and reinstallation. I'm not that skilled or brave enough, . We had torrential rain here today and the water was seeping in from under the C Channel in the same spot. It was slower but still very present. After the rain stopped I dried everything real well and took the rear compartment hatch off so I could see right through to the outside from under the toilet bench. I ran a hose above the belly band and gave it a good soak. Sure enough, the water starting seeping in again on the floor from under the C Channel. I'll have the local Airstream Dealership look at it while it is in for a number of other things next week. Thank You again everyone for your input and patience. Dominic
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Update

Well, hate to admit it but I gave up on this rear end leak. The Airstream left today to spend a few days "in hospital" before a planned camping trip. It will be the first camping trip with this wonderful trailer and I don't want to be checking the bilge. I would have bought a boat, . Hope everyone is having a great day and Thank You all for your help. DOM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2345.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	218272  
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Rear Leak Update

I'm thinking I may have resolved the leak, FINALLY. Please GOD! The belly band has been sealed (twice) and I have used bedliner on the inside of the section below the rear compartment door and the "C" Channel where the water was oozing through. So far, success! New A/C Unit, a little cleaning and ready to camp. Oh, a few plumbing issues resolved too. I'm grateful my plumber is willing to work on the Airstream as well as the house. Hope everyone had a fantastic summer. As for me, back to Nursing to pay for some of this. Dom