Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Exclamation Quality Control

When I asked about getting parts for my 1992 and my 1975 Airstream trailers:

I got this response:
I do not have access to that old of parts. you can can call inland rv at 800-877-7311.

This is the response I got from the closest Airstream dealer to the Sacramento area in California.

Customer support, quality control...

Never let it rest until your good becomes better, until your better becomes your best and your best is better then the rest.

Airstream made it. I made it better.

Airstream needs to be sent a strong message to make a quality prodict and provide aftermarket customer support or loose your industry standing. The success of Airstream is yours to win or loose. You need to work to earn and maintain our respect.

You got some catchin' up to do at the factory...

I (we the trailer owners) are towing your reputation around the country. It is up to you if I drag it through the mud or not. So far, I am not impressed.

Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Andy really has most of what you need, given the local dealer's lack of parts, Andy seems like a better bet.

Normally I'm up for a factory beating like the next disgruntled owner, but in this regard, I have to stick up for the factory. I commonly compare Airstream to the automakers and in this regard, Airstream's parts are a lot more readily available for older trailers than I can get for my 1996 Impala SS. Recently some woman came flying out of her driveway like the "Duke Boys". I had no time to react. New fender, bumper, headlight assembly....guess how many parts were OEM. Very few......GM stopped making them. This is true for a lot of cars even a bit younger and not just GM either....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You can also check with Oasis RV Center (authorized repair center) in Tucson for parts...Joe Pershing, owner... (800) 658-5863. Our Bambi's there right now getting its annual systems checkup...then it's on the road again ASAP...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

I'd be happy with a NYS Dealer.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

I'd be happy with a NYS Dealer.
You know, maybe you should start one. If the econ wasn't so bad, it's be a heck of a job.... for me in terms of distance, for minor stuff, there is a dealer that's ok...for anything major I could go 325 miles to Iowa or 325 miles to the factory.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
You know, maybe you should start one. If the econ wasn't so bad, it's be a heck of a job.....
One word ST......RETIRED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 063.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	75981  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
One word ST......RETIRED!
Lucky dog...both of you....where is the Honey Brown in this picture.

I got 20 to life yet.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic

That WAS a very productive "fishing" trip..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 002.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	75986  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

That WAS a very productive "fishing" trip..
Nice!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Yeah, I got the idea. One game in town.

Andy, the aluminum Guru. I bow. I am sure this trailer will help make his next house payment.

I am just gathering my shopping list so I get it all in one shipping... I'll be calling Andy.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
A couple questions:

How many model years back does Airsteam maintain parts?

What is the industry standard?

Are there state laws that require parts to be maintained for a specified number of years?

How does Airstream stack up against the industry and does it follow the applicable laws, if there are any?

As an aside, it didn't apprear to me there were many parts on hand in the store at the factory, but maybe there was another inventory of parts someplace else?? I know when I've been at the Newmar factory in Indiana, they have a much more extensive service parts operation, but maybe that's just because they are much bigger as well, I don't know.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
hey Pepsi

it's just a drain pipe on wheels,

relax, have a Coke and a smile.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
A couple questions:

How many model years back does Airsteam maintain parts?

What is the industry standard?

Are there state laws that require parts to be maintained for a specified number of years?
Though I don't know many of the questions to the answers posed here, I think that for a 34 year old trailer, any parts, let alone particularly high quality re-makes, NOS, etc one could find would be a gift. This would be similar to what folks do that restore cars, find every good source they can. About 10 years ago, finding 1969 Camaro parts was hard. Now there are many places the make the parts, but they are not OEM, they are 3rd party.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Though I don't know many of the questions to the answers posed here, I think that for a 34 year old trailer, any parts, let alone particularly high quality re-makes, NOS, etc one could find would be a gift. This would be similar to what folks do that restore cars, find every good source they can. About 10 years ago, finding 1969 Camaro parts was hard. Now there are many places the make the parts, but they are not OEM, they are 3rd party.
I agree completely on that 34 year old trailer, but was also interested in where is the line drawn - as soon as the trailer gets out of warranty, at the end of 5 years, 10 years or when?

I spent my career in the auto industry, where we also had ag and construction, plus other companies. I remember that we often kept parts for 10-20 years, and even then we had an arrangement where we were giving old parts to an independent warehouse company, who agreed to maintain them exclusively for us, and who would then later sell them back to us so we could sell them to dealers if there were orders for them. (There were tax and other legal issues involved in this warehousing operation, but the bottom line was that there were lots of profits made on the sale of service parts, plus the important customer satisfaction issues - something Thor and Aristream are generally oblivious to.)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
I agree completely on that 34 year old trailer, but was also interested in where is the line drawn - as soon as the trailer gets out of warranty, at the end of 5 years, 10 years or when?
Gotcha...it's a good question. For example, my 2004 Safari SS was discontinued last year I believe. Even though it is still made in CCD format, what if I need a counter or a cabinet or some other part that is exclusive to the 25' SS? that is non CCD? I wonder......
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Airstream still has many parts for even your 1975 Airstream.

You probably need to call one of the older Airstream places like Oasis, C&G or Inland to get them. A lot of the new dealers aren't sure what to order.

I find that the service centers will spend time to help you out.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Parts for older units.

Airstream has down sized the parts department, a number of times, since the early 70's.

In doing so, they have dropped many parts from their inventory.

Things for the older units, like sheet metal, windows, frame parts, some light lenses, some tail light and clearance light parts, some doors, some appliance parts, they still carry in a very limited supply.

As an example, to get a window for the 70's trailers usually takes 2 to 3 weeks, at least.

We have tried very hard, to fill the gap of what is NLA from Airstream, but it depends on the demand. Obviously, a need of 1 or 2 a year, is not worth the investment.

There is no law that requires Airstream to keep parts for so many years. But they do try to at least have the more popular parts available, far longer than any other RV manufacturer, that we are aware of.

Their huge problem, is space. It's now very limited, in fact it's primarily part of the service department.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
I haven't taken a step forward. I am on a slippery slope and sliding. Today, I repaired the shower tub and the trim. I then found out the furnace, which I serviced, repaired, checked and rechecked was not lighting. Holy crap... I have spent every day I have had off since December working on this aluminum hulk. Today I thought I made progress.

I am, I need a breather before I post here right now. I don't want to loose any friends here...

If the chat room was active I could vent there. But, it would be a one sided conversation... I'll rest and see how I feel tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Hang in there Pepsi! When you're done, you'll know everything there is to know about that trailer, and how to fix it and keep it going. It will give you years of pleasure!
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
I haven't taken a step forward. I am on a slippery slope and sliding. Today, I repaired the shower tub and the trim. I then found out the furnace, which I serviced, repaired, checked and rechecked was not lighting. Holy crap... I have spent every day I have had off since December working on this aluminum hulk. Today I thought I made progress.

I am, I need a breather before I post here right now. I don't want to loose any friends here...

If the chat room was active I could vent there. But, it would be a one sided conversation... I'll rest and see how I feel tomorrow.
A/S now supplies Prozac with all new trailers, see your dealer for details. Offer good til warranty expires.

Tags
quality control, repair