Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
PM'ing Atwood Furnace

As most on the individuals on this forum, I like to keep things working if possible by PM'ing what I can do myself. I have an Atwood 7900-II series furnace (7916-II), that I would like to pull out and clean the chamber and unit. I can see the two screws attaching to the cabinet, gas line connection, and attachment to the vent/exhaust exiting the trailer. If there is much more, I will think twice before attempting. Is it too much for a "tinkerer" to accomplish?
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Should fimble-fingers attempt????

Yes

No

Would rather not get into something I would be sorry for later. Please....
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
mocus :: I'd be interested in seeing what our Vets say about this. I'm like you, want to keep things running before they die.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
PM Furnace

Like I said, I can see the two screws holding it in the cabinet, propane line hooked up, and nothing else except the exhaust going outside the trailer. I presume the gas line has reversed screw attached. The book doesn't help out that much. Hopefully, someone will see through my confusion, feel sorry for me and give me a tip or two. Your note does make me feel better, however, knowing there is someone else interested in the same subject. Here's hoping......God bless, Tom
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
YA think?

If you have a little time until you need this done perhaps you could buy a service manual from the furnace manufacturer. Better yet call the A/S company store and see if the Airstream Service Manual for your trailer covers servicing the furnace. If so then you will have the service manual and tips that covers your entire model/year trailer. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Furnace

Never thought about a service manual, I have 2 installation manuals that would come in handy if I was building one, but I just want the easiest, most proficient and tried method to accomplish a thorough cleaning and Pm'ing. Sometimes (most of the time for me), instruction pamphlets go beyond my capability, where as, someone giving instructions they utilize normally talk close to my level and I can understand. I want to keep this as simple as possible, and accomplish an adequate "PM." (if that is possible). Thanks for your advice, and if no simple instructions given, I will order a book. (but........I know my limits). I do not envy your talents (that's a sin), but I do admire you guys and gals with the knowledge and abilities to working on AS's.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Mocus, I'm going to take this opportunity to mention that while I believe that when you say 'PM', you mean 'Preventive Maintenance', you need to be aware that here on the Forums, it also stands for 'Private Message'.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant.

I am also going to say that I'm not sure your 7 or 8 year old furnace needs such a thorough a cleaning that it requires it to be taken out. If it is operating properly, I would be off chasing leaks, which, IMHO are far more important...
Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Go here http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...0SP%201.08.pdf
to download the manual for your furnace. Good luck, Brian.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Mocus, I'm going to take this opportunity to mention that while I believe that when you say 'PM', you mean 'Preventive Maintenance', you need to be aware that here on the Forums, it also stands for 'Private Message'.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant.

I am also going to say that I'm not sure your 7 or 8 year old furnace needs such a thorough a cleaning that it requires it to be taken out. If it is operating properly, I would be off chasing leaks, which, IMHO are far more important...

Whoops, preventative maintenance is what I meant. I appreciate your recommendation to "leave it alone," for the time being. I can see that there is a possibility (one day) to change the Sail Switch, but can wait it out. And, you have to remember, as a retired Government Employee," we used the term PM because we couldn't spell preventative.....You also help make my point of Owner manuals; it wouldn't have said what you recommended. I realize they are very important, but one on one sometimes is better. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Go here http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...0SP%201.08.pdf
to download the manual for your furnace. Good luck, Brian.
Thanks Brian...This booklet is better than the one I have.