Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Need Help: Where To Begin

I have posted before my situation. Hopefully I can get some advice and help. My uncle recently died and left me his beloved Airstream trailer. It is a 1978 31' Sovereign. I am a 42 yo mom with NO carpentry skill, but I want to totally refurbish it. It has become my obsession this last month. I have taken almost everything out of the inside except the bathroom and two interior walls. I have also had local tire place replace tires and inspect axel. They say it is fine. Now, I am not sure what to do next. I have called several people to I inspect the trailer for me with no luck. I just need someone to tell me what needs to be done and where to start. I have read thread after thread about whether to take shell on or off, whether to drop pan or not drop pan. It sounds doable, but then I look around and see gas lines and electrical wires and I am just not sure. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it or am I just going to have to load up and head to Jackson City?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1188226687.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	184710   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-212448452.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	184711  

Name:	image-2161851556.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	184712  
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Inspect the floor for rotten areas first. If any are found you can epoxy them, or replace the plywood. Thne determine where the leak is coming from and seal that.
Are you remodeling the inside? Any reason not to reuse what was in there? It would be a whole lot easier than trying to recreate what is needed. You may be biting off more....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
It looks like to me that the floor is completely rotten all around the edges, under where the kitchen sink was, under where the refrigerator was, the whole area where the bathroom was in the rear and the entire front section. I am thinking the whole subfloor needs replacing, which I would like to reinsulate and check the frame too. There are several areas around the outside wrap that look to be needing resealed or replaced (not sure how to do that, YET). I am very eager to learn though! Thanks for your reply. Sure wish I knew someone I could take it to just to tell the places that need work.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
As I post, I am literally removing rivets of the interior wall so I can get to the subfloor. :-)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I feel a little better today. I was able to get a lot accomplished. Can anyone say rivets? I removed some stubborn rivets today. I also removed window screens and window hardware. I labeled and bagged everything! I took out interior walls and pink insulation. I finally got to see the C-channel that I have read so much about! I hope I can get it ready for lift off. (Shell removal). And for all your Rivettes out there, I worked right by myself!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
What do you have in the way of clecos and wood for bracing the shell? You are a busy mom! Good job I will not be putting the fiberglass back in using foam and prodex instead.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
You have a really big but very doable job ahead of you but I am sure that the other folks with you type trailer will be very helpful! I am an armature ebut will help where I can. Have you disconnected and removed the gas tanks yet?(safety first)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Obtw Jeannie my best friend and soul mate of 37 years has minimal carpentry skills will be doing most of the interior wood on the caravel! Means there will be a bandsaw in my garage soon!!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Oh that is encouraging that Jeannie will be doing the wordwork! I will be looking forward to hearing how that goes. You brought up several good points. Making sure gas is disconnected is next on the list! Also, I DO NOT plan on putting that pink stuff back in! Definitely going with the good stuff. Actually, my husband owns a building supply business so I will get insulation and the bracing lumber from him. He doesn't help much with this project though, I guess he does it all day. Besides, like me he knows nothing about trailers. You know, the cobbler's son has no shoes! Haha. Thanks for all the input!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
You've cleared the 1st hurdle, determination & no self doubt......I'm guessing you've accessed everything you can see and decided its a go. Sure looks it from the pics. But, its the things you can't yet see that need attention. The axles, probably the visual inspection for safe was right. But, after 35yrs its near certain the rubber rods inside the axles are "set", which means no cussioning suspension on the road. That will destroy all your hard work. Search the forums to learn how to check them. Next, the frame. You're right, the floor perimeter is bad. The only real fix is a new deck [floor]. That means belly pan removal for a "body off" or belly pan seams opened up for a body on, the only 2 ways you can attach a new floor. Either way you will see the frame eventually. Its best to unzip [open up] the belly pan now to be certain you have a good or repairable frame. Odds are better than even the frame is ok or needs a little minor repair like outriggers. Axles, frame & floor are the foundation and largest hurdles to a restore. Once you determine they are ok or repairable the rest is no sweat. In another 35 yrs you'll pass it on to your kids. Woa, 1st time out, 31 footer, you've got grit!!!!!!!!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
You've cleared the 1st hurdle, determination & no self doubt......I'm guessing you've accessed everything you can see and decided its a go. Sure looks it from the pics. But, its the things you can't yet see that need attention. The axles, probably the visual inspection for safe was right. But, after 35yrs its near certain the rubber rods inside the axles are "set", which means no cussioning suspension on the road. That will destroy all your hard work. Search the forums to learn how to check them. Next, the frame. You're right, the floor perimeter is bad. The only real fix is a new deck [floor]. That means belly pan removal for a "body off" or belly pan seams opened up for a body on, the only 2 ways you can attach a new floor. Either way you will see the frame eventually. Its best to unzip [open up] the belly pan now to be certain you have a good or repairable frame. Odds are better than even the frame is ok or needs a little minor repair like outriggers. Axles, frame & floor are the foundation and largest hurdles to a restore. Once you determine they are ok or repairable the rest is no sweat. In another 35 yrs you'll pass it on to your kids. Woa, 1st time out, 31 footer, you've got grit!!!!!!!!
Hey! Awesome advice! It gives me some specific steps to follow, which helps me a lot overcoming the occasional overwhelmed feeling I get when I just sit on a hunting stool in the Sov and look around at all the work. I am not sure that it is grit or ignorance along with a touch of sentiment and a pinch of nostalgia, and oh having three kids and needing somewhere for everyone to sleep while camping. Haha. So, for this week and weekend, disconnect the gas then drop the bellypan. Ugh! Here are a few pictures from today where I took wall and insulation out, temporarily fixed battery door and I think you can see I have some parts of c channel that need fixing. I also came across a bunch of broken glass in the insulation. There must have been a broken window at some point and fixed by PO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3502157404.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	184729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1916930560.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	184730  

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I can offer you nothing but support, i would come hold tools for you if I could. i love your story, I love the support of the others. I admire you taking on this very special project. I will be following on this exciting and fulfilling journey, you are teaching your children too...good for all of you.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Hey, who knows, maybe your husband will catch aluminitis from you and get out there and pitch in. I agree with Sbb about the example you are giving to your children. They will see that no matter how daunting a project is, if you just take it a step at a time you'll get to the end. Real life leasons here for them to see.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That floor does not look rotten to me. It look like there is some water damage but the two photos you posted don't concern me that much. If you can't stick a screw drive all the way through it, then it is probably usable. The main area of concern is at the back which you probably can't see till you remove the bathroom.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That floor does not look rotten to me. It look like there is some water damage but the two photos you posted don't concern me that much. If you can't stick a screw drive all the way through it, then it is probably usable. The main area of concern is at the back which you probably can't see till you remove the bathroom.

Perry
I went around with an ice pick and several places it goes right in. In other places it is fine. However, the whole floor in general is not level. It is higher in the middle. Thanks for your advice. I really need all the help I can get. :-)
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My biggest advice at this point, based on our refurb, is to take lots of pictures as you take things apart. It's really frustrating months down the road, when you're trying to reinstall something and can't remember how it goes. We're doing all new, and still refer to pictures we took at the beginning. I am doing a scrapbook (on book 2 now) with pictures and descriptions. It's amazing to look back and see where we started, and where we are now. Not to mention, referencing those pictures on "how did that look originally?". It's my winter project every year. Keep that camera handy!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I can offer you nothing but support, i would come hold tools for you if I could. i love your story, I love the support of the others. I admire you taking on this very special project. I will be following on this exciting and fulfilling journey, you are teaching your children too...good for all of you.
Support is a HUGE part of it! Thank you soooo much for such encouraging words!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
Hey, who knows, maybe your husband will catch aluminitis from you and get out there and pitch in. I agree with Sbb about the example you are giving to your children. They will see that no matter how daunting a project is, if you just take it a step at a time you'll get to the end. Real life leasons here for them to see.
I wish he would! It would make this a lot easier and a lot more fun. Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't thought of it that way!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Well after reading this thread we may have more in common than I thought. My husband is also very hands off and definitely hasn't caught aluminitis. Oh well if we can bear and raise children we can damn sure fix a trailer! No worries you are headed in the right direction. If you start feeling overwhelmed break it down into small tasks that are more easily accomplished. For instance instead of trying to reseal the whole trailer decide that today you will reseal the rear lights or that really leaky window. If you are struggling with motivation take a break and do something frivolous, like polishing the logo or picking fabrics. You don't need them right now but the feeling of having accomplished something will keep you going. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.nolte View Post
Well after reading this thread we may have more in common than I thought. My husband is also very hands off and definitely hasn't caught aluminitis. Oh well if we can bear and raise children we can damn sure fix a trailer! No worries you are headed in the right direction. If you start feeling overwhelmed break it down into small tasks that are more easily accomplished. For instance instead of trying to reseal the whole trailer decide that today you will reseal the rear lights or that really leaky window. If you are struggling with motivation take a break and do something frivolous, like polishing the logo or picking fabrics. You don't need them right now but the feeling of having accomplished something will keep you going. Good Luck!
That is great to know and encouraging! I agree we can fix a trailer! I agree with breaking things up. I have taken that exact approach and ordered fabrics to start sewing curtains when I need breaks from the tough stuff. My next "frivolous" task is fixing the window screens. Then, it's back to the big stuff. Gotta give these blisters time to heal. Send me a message if you come to Moultrie in November. Good to meet you! :-)