Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Smyrna , Tennessee
"Loss of Use" - payment reimbursement?

I have a seemingly far-fetched question, but I've been wanting to post about it for a while.

Our Airstream was in the shop for a period of 6 weeks, and then a period of 10 weeks. This was a new rig, within the first 2 years of ownership. We were full-timing, and it was our only residence! We were still making payments each month, and that burns me up. However, the repairs were all covered by warranty - so no insurance claim was filed. We went in between staying with relatives and in hotels during these periods

Would we have ZERO chance of monetary reimbursement for our payments, because we didn't file an insurance claim?
Rhonda1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Nope.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
By in the shop, do you mean the dealer or JC ??Before trying your problem here, I would take it directly to JC and plead my case.
mj
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yeah, sorry to say but you'll have zero chance IMHO to getting money back for your inconvenience. An RV is a luxury vehicle and is not considered a primary residence, (even if you live in it full time).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Any loss of use would be covered by warranty terms. Automobile companies typically cover this sort of thing through the use of a loaner.

How would you quantify the amount of your “loss of use” reimbursement? You hinted that it might be tied to your monthly payment amount. However, that would be arbitrary, as one’s payment amount can vary by length of loan term. What if one paid cash?

You also mentioned possibly being reimbursed if you filed an insurance claim. Does your insurance policy have a “loss of use” feature, and if so, what are the terms?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I would do 2 things.

1. Get an extension on any warranty as obviously if you could not use the unit because the dealer was holding it as they tried to being it backtto the as new purchased condition.

2. Even without insurance claim there is "Small Claims" court. Many times people win because the big company just doesn't send a lawyer. If you win you can then put a lein on the company property till payment is received.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I would think not. As stated earlier, Airstream is a luxury RV and not really intended to be used as a full time residence even though a lot of us are doing that. But if loss of use is stated in the insurance policy then that might be an option.
That’s kinda the gamble you take when living full time in any RV. What is plan B when it’s in the shop? If it had been me and I was full timing (which I am 6 months a year) I would have tried my best to get to Jackson Center and have them do the work while you are using their terraport then you could’ve used Airstream while they were working on it and I suspect the down time would have been much, much less. I know, hindsight is always better but maybe next time if you know it’s going to be more than a week or two you might want to consider JC. It isn’t always an option but if at all possible it makes life on the road much more manageable.
As for have to make payments just because it needed work, well, yes, you do have to keep making those payments. If I have a fire at a traditional house and it needs lots of repairs then the mortgage still has to be paid. I don’t think the lender really cares too much about the fact I couldn’t live in it while the damage is being fixed. Life can so so harsh.
It sounds like you are back in your Airstream, try to find some happiness knowing that you have a beautiful RV that can take you many places for many, many years with usually very little downtime. I know it was a bear having to go through all that but it’s over (hopefully) and everything is good as new. Been in your shoes because and it sucks but it’s over and you survived and maybe learned a few things along the way.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
From your warranty:
"Airstream hereby disclaims any and all incidental and consequential damages arising out of or relating to the trailer, including expenses such as transportation to and from vehicle dealerships and Airstream repair facilities, loss of time, loss of pay, loss of use, inconvenience, commercial loss (including lost profits), towing charges, bus fares, vehicle rental, service call charges, gasoline expenses, incidental charges such as telephone calls and facsimile transmissions, and expenses for lodging."

Does your state have a lemon law that applies to travel trailers?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36
Westerville , Ohio
One note of interest in terms of the status of an RV from an IRS perspective. Whilst doing my taxes I learned that interest from a financing loan for such vehicle can be treated as a secondary residence for tax purposes and not treated as a luxury vehicle.
Mleyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
get some money

I had an insurance claim and while the AS was being repaired the insurance co. gave me the max for out of pocket expenses which was $20 per night and a maximum of 18 nights. My insurance claim was against a company that did accidental damage to my trailer. I'm sure my insurance co got their money back by the company that did my trailers damage. Now that I think back about it , I remember that I received 2 checks, one from my Auto Insurance to cover the damages and one from my Home Owners policy for the $360 for living expenses. I don't know whether or not my home owners insurance also went after the co. that caused the problem but, it would be equivalent to your home owners insurance going after Air Streams warranty dept. for repayment. Maybe some insurance experts could advise you if this is a good thing for you or not. Keep in mind its not going to be a large amount so, maybe not worth the claim? Good luck.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote