Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #21

1970 27' Overlander
Oceanside , California
Thank you everyone for your replies. This information is very helpful.
Fortunately I did get insurance about an hour or two before the accident which has a police report so everything is time stamped and verified.
I am suppose to hear from the adjuster by Tuesday to get an appointment set up.
Anyone know a good shop in San Diego or Orange County?
itiswell.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswell.com View Post

Fortunately I did get insurance about an hour or two before the accident which has a police report so everything is time stamped and verified.

Wow! That’s amazing!

Best of luck to you in the post-accident process. I lived in California for a little over 10 years and never understood why it’s legal for motorcycles to ride between lanes. I’d understand shoulder riding perhaps but I’ve seen too many motorcycle/mirror accidents (some pretty horrible) to think that it’s a good idea for anyone.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If it is legal to ride between the lanes how can you be sure it is not going to be your fault? It is a crazy law.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I often listen to KNX the news traffic station in LA and the report of "motorcycle down" is a daily thing, one day I recall them saying this is the sixth motorcycle down today! There are lots of people and traffic in LA but it still seems crazy to me.
Also some of the lanes are not your typical interstate width and can be a challenge to keep inside the lines.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I often listen to KNX the news traffic station in LA and the report of "motorcycle down" is a daily thing, one day I recall them saying this is the sixth motorcycle down today! There are lots of people and traffic in LA but it still seems crazy to me.
Also some of the lanes are not your typical interstate width and can be a challenge to keep inside the lines.
Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough, not sure why riders want to make it more dangerous by lane splitting. The CHP and DMV have guidelines for lane splitting. Here's some of the relevant text from the California Motorcycle Safety Guide (CMSP)...

When You Should Never Lane Split According to the CMSP

– If you can’t fit

– At a toll booth

– If traffic is moving too fast or unpredictable

– If dangerous road conditions exist such as construction, hazardous road surface, metal grates, uneven pavement etc.

– If you can’t see a way out of a space you are entering

– Between trucks, buses, RV’s and other vehicles

– Around or through curves

– If you are not fully alert

– If you are unable to react to changing conditions instantaneously

– If you don’t feel comfortable with the situation.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Your biggest challenge may be if the cost to repair the damage is more than the “book” value of your AS. Typically, insurance will not pay more than “actual value”.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If the guide specifies not to split lanes between RVs - I can’t see how the driver wouldn’t be fully responsible - though crazier things have happened.....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough, not sure why riders want to make it more dangerous by lane splitting. The CHP and DMV have guidelines for lane splitting. Here's some of the relevant text from the California Motorcycle Safety Guide (CMSP)...

When You Should Never Lane Split According to the CMSP

– If you can’t fit

– At a toll booth

– If traffic is moving too fast or unpredictable

– If dangerous road conditions exist such as construction, hazardous road surface, metal grates, uneven pavement etc.

– If you can’t see a way out of a space you are entering

– Between trucks, buses, RV’s and other vehicles

– Around or through curves

– If you are not fully alert

– If you are unable to react to changing conditions instantaneously

– If you don’t feel comfortable with the situation.
They should add - If above 10MPH
Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Loss of Use

When negotiating with the insurance carrier, do not forget Loss of Use. The rental car companies are quick to charge for loss of use for any time the rental is not available for rent during a repair. So depending on if the insurance is the Morotcycle's Liability, then be certain to not only get repairs, but your loss of use and other expenses. Insurance companies seem to be Profit making machines. Feel no guilt when negotiating with them...They are in this for profit.

The motorcycle liability policy is likely to have fairly low limits on property damage, but the motorcyle operator's liability does not end with his poilicy limits...If he was liable, then he is liable for the full expenses, not just his policy limits.......Hopefully the operator has an umbrella policy to cover full extent of damages.....

Please elaborate if your trailer insurance policy kicks in versus the motorcycle's liability is the primary insurance carrrier.

It will be interesting if the Motorcycle operator's liability policy for property damage is lower than your damages and how you are made whole including all related expenses including loss of use.

Please keep us informed.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #30

San Gabriel , California
Airstream Body Shop

I'm sorry to see the pics you posted. The good news is that this can be repaired. My shop at Airstream Los Angeles can get the correct skin for this and make it look right after the repair. We have Airstream factory certified body technicians that specialize in this type of repair. I can be reached at 909-497-0505 if you would like to discuss the repair further.

Thanks,
Jason Skinner
Director of Service and Parts
Airstream Los Angeles
Airstream Las Vegas
jasonskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Your biggest challenge may be if the cost to repair the damage is more than the “book” value of your AS. Typically, insurance will not pay more than “actual value”.
brick
Just curious, what is the “book” value of a 1970 trailer?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Bloomington , Indiana
Get legal advise

The several hundred dollars you might pay an experienced insurance litigator might be well rewarded. There are a lot of armchair and anecdotal experiences listed here and I have my own. I'm in the Midwest with no-fault insurance laws. You're in CA, and every state is a bit different.

I'm sorry about the guy's hand. Accidents are awful and it could have been far uglier.

This said, only an experienced litigator, one that deals with wrecks on a day-to-day basis knows exactly how the company might settle. You should get a dose of that realism, and avoid litigation if at all possible because it's expensive, time consuming, and insurance companies are equipped to know when to hold'em/fold'em.

I have insurance with a set value if my 1973 Argosy is totaled by a tree or something where I'm at fault. That value may/may not change if a truck runs into it, or it's side-swiped, etc etc etc. It's better to know from the start where this will head, and act appropriately to your own legal benefit. IANAL, but I've seen people settle for far less than was a appropriate for the circumstances. Better to know.
hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Also go see a therapist and pour your heart out about how you are devastated, can't sleep, have nightmares and then sue the dangerous driving cyclist into the ground.

There are old motorcyclists and there are foolish motorcyclists... but no old foolish motorcyclists. Convince him of the stupidity of shooting the gap by cleaning out his assets.

By the way, the last crash scene I responded to was of a similar Crisco brained numbskull who lived to frighten and startle drivers by shooting the gap at high speeds. One time he did so, bounced off the side mirror of the van on the left and dropped under the rear duals of the semi truck on his right. Four axles of dually tires rolled over him and ended, permanently, his pleasure in life. EMS just had to get the big pieces into a leak proof body bag. While I have filled quite a few body bags in the past, luckily, that time I just had to shut down the highway with my patrol car.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
A 1970 trailer? Be prepared to get an appraisal. If it's not fully restored and you don't have an appraisal, expect the insurance company to use NADA value and try to total out the trailer for a few thousand dollars. Especially if it's the other guy's company.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
On our 27' 1976 AS there are over 300 rivets on the lower panel. The only time I needed to replace a panel they gave me a price of $5000 for the bottom and $5000 for the top panel. But since AS is no longer making aluminum siding that is "clad" with 100% pure aluminum we had to find an alternative.

Can't remember how much the roll cost but I ordered a 30' piece of clad aluminum sheet. Might consider looking for the panel from another vintage AS. They are often very cheap but you will have to finesse the rivet holes and get a set of pins to hold it in place while you are attaching the panel to the trailer. Polish the piece before you mount it. I picked up a cheap, hand held electric sheet metal shear. It saves a lot of time and your hand will not cramp like it would if you were using a set of sheet metal snips.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
So how was the motorcyclist........after you got through with him?

I had similar cut, three panels had to be replaced. I called the insurance company, they sent an adjuster immediately. The only close dealer near me on LI NY is 133 miles away. I drove the trailer to him, his estimate was 300-$500.- higher but the ins. co. came up with the $$$ no problem.

The key is to find a dealer even if its a couple days away, it worked for me.

Mike
Old 02-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Annapolis , MD
I wonder if Vinnie can offer some ideas:

VINNIE'S NORTHBAY AIRSTREAM REPAIR
11992 Blake Road, Wilton, CA 95693

707-978-0356

vinnie@vinniesairstream.com
NyceFlyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird73 View Post
A 1970 trailer? Be prepared to get an appraisal. If it's not fully restored and you don't have an appraisal, expect the insurance company to use NADA value and try to total out the trailer for a few thousand dollars. Especially if it's the other guy's company.
I drive antique cars and unfortunately, if that’s all it’s worth, that’s all it’s worth. If I was that worried I wouldn’t take it on the road. Stuff happens.

Hope the motorcyclist is OK. Most crashes I see, the biker is not at fault.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Vinnie's northbay airstream repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyceFlyer3 View Post
I wonder if Vinnie can offer some ideas:

VINNIE'S NORTHBAY AIRSTREAM REPAIR
11992 Blake Road, Wilton, CA 95693

707-978-0356

vinnie@vinniesairstream.com

Agreed ,Yes he is the Man that can give you an honest estimate and do the work right first time.
https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...rstreamRepair/
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #40
Streamline64

Vintage Kin Owner
Grass Valley , California
Consider a partial panel patch

I have a vintage kin, a 64 Streamline trailer, and because I now inspect every vintage trailer I see, I notice construction differences.
Airstream seems to use Looooooooonnnnggg pieces of aluminum for siding pieces, whereas other aluminum vintage trailers use shorter pieces for siding. If you can live with a shorter patch over the damaged area, and find a replacement piece that matches, a patch will not cost nearly as much as residing the whole trailer and you may quite possibly be the only person who would ever know, or notice the difference from 'factory'! Just a thought. Good luck with your restoration.
tommydSL64 is offline   Reply With Quote